All Topics / Opinionated! / Petrol Price Precedes Recession?

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi Calvin, I agree with you that 4wd accidents can be nastier and occupants can suffer higher degrees of injuries than normal sedans or vehicles. Due to a higher centre of gravity 4wds are easier to roll if travelling to fast on curves. Some owners also think there 4wds are indestructible and thus take risks they shouldn’t. My comment was aimed more at being hit by another vehicle. I’m one of those silly drivers who doesn’t mind sitting on the speed limit or 5-10 kmh below. I like the moto it’s better to arrive late than not to arrive at all.
    C2

Rich in happiness and money is better than rich in money with no happiness.

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

I’m asking in general: What do you think of the use of a higher blend of ethanol as a fuel extender, an idea that Howard pushes (because he lacks chemistry training)?

Waste of time, stupid solution?
    Economically intelligent?(Doesn’t it takes more energy (excessive fossil fuel input) to produce ethanol than it contains?
    Politicans just using it to impress farmers?
    If we HAVE to accept ethanol, isn’t ethanol produced from hemp a better choice than the ethanol from corn or sugar cane?- esp for Australia as it requires less water in production.

Any thoughts?

Celivia

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

I don’t know enough about the suject to comment on most of your points Celivia, but I saw a short piece on TV the other night (might have been Alan Kohler @ ABC?) where it was pointed out that mandating the blending of Australian produced ethanol would add to the price of fuel…

[hmm]

F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

It’ll certainly make your car go a little faster, hehehehehe. The good old days![bike2] [helmet] [wreck]

Ethanol, garden variety can be made at home (not recomended – cause it has a nasty habit of blowing up or igniting stuff). the blending of it making petrol more expensive? Yeah, probably, but then we would be charged more if they put in tap water!

Technology out there is so vast and extensive that ethanol mixing is just one of many ideas! In Nullagine (I think) there are a couple of old (as in retired) Engineers that run an old V8 Valiant on one litre of petrol for a week! they add super-heated steam to the fuel mix. The car runs smoother, cleaner, better and needs less servicing and mechanical repairs. that is why Ford and Holden are begging these guys to sell them the idea – because they love us and want us to have the very best that technology can provide! [cap]

Air cars, water cars, etc will all fade into the sunset. Sad really!

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi Calvin, I thought you might like this. Its on ninemsn.

Based on a Roy Morgan Research survey in 2003-04 of 24,718 people aged 14 and over, the study found the typical city driver of a large 4WD is a male in his forties or fifties in full-time work with a higher than average income.

The 4WDS are also far more likely than conventional vehicles to kill or maim other road users, they are less fuel efficient and they are resented by other road users.

Two thirds of their drivers in the city are overweight or obese.

They also had a lower regard for the welfare system than the general population.

“While over half (57 per cent) of all Australians agree it is the government’s duty to support those who cannot find work, only 42 per cent of city drivers of large 4WDs concur,” the report’s authors, Clive Hamilton and Claire Barbato, said.

“These drivers tend to see themselves as rugged individualists who like physical activity.

“Perhaps with implications for how they drive, they are more inclined to say they sometimes use force to get their way,” the authors said.

The authors also say 4WDs are marketed as bold, tough, powerful and made for rugged terrain, while the daily reality is that most are driven between school, work and shops in metropolitan areas.

The survey counted only city drivers of 4WDs, where over half of the vehicles are owned.

However, drivers of luxury 4WDs are very different.

They are more likely to be female, in their 30s and 40s, and are more materialistic than other Australians.

“This group is more than twice as likely as the general population to say, `I was born to shop’ (33 per cent),” the authors said.

“And two thirds (65 per cent) say they would normally buy their favourite brand regardless of price, compared with 43 per cent of the population.”

They also watch their weight, and are less likely to be obese than the general population.

Monash University research indicates 4WDs are far more likely than conventional vehicles to kill or maim other road users.

Dr Hamilton said the vehicles are also less fuel efficient and are resented by other road users.

He said special licences and higher taxes should be imposed on 4WD owners.

I guess I need to put on weight and have an attitude change so I fit the role.

C2

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Is a survey of 0.12% of the population and then extrapolated out 1000x statistically relevant ??

I know the intent is to draw conclusions and general trends….but can this really be done ?? It’s probably the best data there is, but does it cut the mustard or is the data worthless…the question is C2, is the data and conclusions drawn out really better than nothing ??

Ah…statistics…ask want you want and you can manipulate the data to prove black is white and white is black.

When you were describing the overweight 40 to 50 aged male, I thought of alot of handymen and frugal property owners I know who are constantly towing a large trailer around the metro area fixing up problems and building and renovating homes for the “I love to shop” individuals. Perhaps they are all working their bum off to strive ahead and that filters through in their non-tolerance of lazier individuals. The softly softly attitude that is prevalent at Uni’s and inner city metro cafes where the “I love to shop” people thrive and chinwag isn’t fully appreciated on building sites thank God. Get in – do your job – get paid – get out.

The reason I thought of that, is that I am currently looking at purchasing a large gas guzzling 4WD. My current car is struggling to pull the trailer I have, which is essential to carting tools and equipment to keep the portfolio ticking along. This is where the whole PM thing and her highly greased tradesmen falls down for me. The cost of fuel hasn’t even entered into the equation. It’s chicken feed compared to what the props are making.

As you highlighted, the big 4WD is also great for when the family tragically meet up with a fully paid up member of the chardonnay swilling set on a Sunday arvo, having had too much to drink and as they swerve home in their environmentally conscious, jazzy, funky little Mazda 121 from the local caf definitely come off second best. Beautiful.

Hopefully I’ll find someone who is feeling the pinch of fuel prices and wants to get rid of their big 4WD.

Cheers,

Darryl Moore

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Big Dazz,
    are you having a go???? Although I have to wait a while before I turn 40 (and earning a lot of money).

Perhaps the thing about the car being a males extension……. is true! Perhaps I need to trade in my Accent for something more Beefy?!!! Hehehehe – or get a sex change – nah. Been made the way I am – it aint much but it’s all I got! [blush2]

Hey Dazz, I must agree on the Statistics thingy though. We actually tested that theory and it worked – we had to spend some time in spinning the right angle but it worked!

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi Dazz, It’s definitely not qualitative or quantative but probably speculative and not a true indication of the 4wd community at large. Hence my joke about having to put on weight and an attitude change from my normal laid back style.

BTW, what type of 4WD you interested in?

C2

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi all, on the topic of fuel prices the one good thing that may come out of this is that we Australians learn to drive more economically.

In Europe, where they dream of $1.35 a litre, people turn their engines off whilst stopped for trains, at traffic lights (with warning lights to restart), at drive thru fast food, and they dont have drive thru bottle shops.
    Why do people need to leave their big 4wd engine running whilst queing for Macca’s or KFC?

The ignorance and arrogance in our driving style is shocking, and if the population needs higher fuel prices to realise it then so be it. We need to accept that this is a limited resource, and use it accordingly.
    If people need a big vehicle for work or recreation then there are ways to moderate their habits and improve economy. How often do you see people speeding between traffic lights, from one red light to the next?

Just out of interest, a friend in Berlin with a new diesel mercedes got sick of paying $2.50 a litre so started buying vegetable oil @$1 a litre to fill his tank. He filled every fourth tank with ‘real’ diesel fuel and kept on going with the vege oil. No problems with the car (except people driving behind him said they had a craving for french fries).
    The German govt introduced an eco tax on fuel several years ago, which saw fuel rise to approx $2.50 litre almost overnight.This is in a highly car oriented society. We have nothing to complain about.

So maybe next time you stop for a train imagine that there is a sign there saying
    “please turn off your engine”,
    we can even help the environment as well as our wallets.

J [sunny]

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

C@34…nah mate…everything is apples. I didn’t pick you for getting around in an Accent though…what exactly is an accent…is it an American drawl or perhaps a clipped Irish twang ??

C2…why ?? Are you selling ?? Have a squiz at the car thread.

Sorry Giddo for pulling this off-topic.

Cheers,

Darryl Moore

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Sorry Dazz, mine aren’t for sale. Just thought I could thrw a few pointers your way.

C2

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Dazz,
    it is a Hyundai! Zippy little unit; we got spoilers, mags and the whole fruit because we did’t think about investing then! I don’t think I’ll ever buy a new car again (until I’m flush with Rubels, that is). The initial loss is just too great! One of the guys I consider one of my Mentors (we don’t converse that often anymore – but I can still hear his voice in the back of my head…) buys second hand Mercedes (his preference) and when he trades them in he gets almost what he paid for them! He does have a lot of $$$$$$ and that always helps.

My turn will surely come!

Cheers
    C@34

– Thomas Edison

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.