All Topics / Help Needed! / Will polishing floor boards help my sale?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

Hi,
    I am about to sell a IP. The carpet is had it and will only look worse when the tenants get all their furniture out. I have had a floor sander have a look and there is good 3 inch blackbutt boards under carpet. Do you think sanding will get me more dollars and will it make it more attractive to buyers, or should i leave it and let the buyers do it. House is on the coast.
    Thanks
    Robo

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Floor boards are a big improvement. They add that modern, emotive, homely look.

I would do it. Is quite a cheap way to add a lot of improvement.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 75% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi robo
    Not into it now but when I did reno I did the floors myself its cheap to do and there is little you can st-ff up and a couple of coats of estopol and they look great and when the new buyer ask you can put your hand on your heart and tell em you’ve done a great job(hopefully).My units are timber floors(not by me) as they are a great selling point and blackbutt is beautifull when coated. I have blackbutt both floors of my house.
    so a tick for me.

here to help

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

I agree with Simon. Makes a huger difference when potential purchasers first walk in. Gets rid of the “well, we have to replace the carpets” haggle as well!

Profile photo of PickworthPickworth
    @pickworth

g’day robo

I agree polished floor boards look great, modern and maintenance is easy. Down the track another ‘quick lick’ and they will be as good as new.

I am certainly putting them in my new development.

‘ You will never go broke taking a profit ‘

Profile photo of annemlanneml
    Participant
    @anneml

I have recently got the floors sanded (still relatively low cost even though I didn’t do it myself) in one of my “shed-out-the-back” type houses. It was tenantless for two months before the sanding and with nasty carpet and rented out within three days after the sanding. I agree it makes a large and positive difference

Anne.

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Definitely get them sanded. It adds quite considerably more than the cost. My real estate contact says don’t do them yourself as he has seen many DIY sanding jobs that look pretty crook. To be honest, floor sanding is very cheap and I wouldn’t tackle it myself.

Regards, Wylie

Profile photo of kerwynkerwyn
    @kerwyn

Hi Robo
    I always do polished floorboards if they are in the house. If not I always put in timber floating floors in the living areas. They do not cost much more than carpet and make a huge WOW effect to the property. People love them.
    Kerwyn

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

The wife has asthma and carpets are a absolute no-no. In the past, we would be forced to only look at houses to live in (own or rent) that had floorboards. It was the determining factor…other aspects fell by the wayside and the compromise factor “make do” came out. As long as it had floorboards the property was on the ‘go list’.

I imagine anyone else who is dust sensitive or allergic to all of the crud that carpets gather…no matter how much vacuuming and cleaning you do, or if they suffer from any form of lung ailment….floorboards will be an advantage.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

I’d go for it! Blackbutt floors are just beautiful- would be a crime to cover them with carpets.

In our own house we have spotted gum, in our IP there’s cypress flooring- it looks great.

I do think that the sanding job must be professionally done- if you do a bad job it can look terrible, with hollow patches and unevenness all over. So if you’re not sure you know what you’re doing, leave it to the professionals, it will be worth it.

Celivia

Profile photo of camdercamder
    Participant
    @camder

Great effect to have polished floors and yes go ahead and have it done. PLEASE note my wording—have it DONE!!! I disagree with grossrealisation about doing it yourself. Should be about $24/ sqmtre and I have seen some s**t jobs by self confessed handymen. 2 jobs I will not tackle—plastering & floor sanding.— Hiring equipment, rubbish removal, nail punching etc all “tits on a bull” jobs as far as I am concerned!!! Useless to yourself or anybody else.
    Cheers Len

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Personally I like carpet in the bedrooms as it gives a homely feel. Last year we lifted the worn carpet in our lounge/hallway and had them polished ($26 p/m) and with 4 kids its just great!! A tip to get a good result is to make sure you vacuum the gaps before and for a really professional look gap fill with Sellys Caulk’N’ Colours. Its best to do this a few days before the sanding to allow time for it to set.
    Don’t forget to give the skirting a coat of full gloss enamel paint which will reflect in the newly polished floor boards.
    The best tip to sell a house is Clean, Clean Clean.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

We paid to have ours done which the neighbour scoffed at and he did his job himself.

It looks really awful, all sorts of dips where he leaned too hard, nails shiny silver because he punched them badly, bits of grass and dirt between coats in the polyurethane etc etc.

Not worth the $500 he saved I think.

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 75% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of hellmanhellman
    @hellman

Keep the bedrooms carpeted. Most people pefer carpeted bedrooms and floorboards for the other rooms. Also if your bathroom is close to the bedrooms see if you can carpet that path / hall area too, as most people dislike walking on polished floors when wet (slippage and can be cold).

Hellman

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.