All Topics / Value Adding / Renovation and development legal requirements

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of mrisolimrisoli
    @mrisoli

Hi

I’m considering renovating or developing residental property, but wish to set-up a company to operate within.

Do you need a builders licence??? What about if for renovation?

Assistance would be great.

Thanks

MR[blush2]

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi mrisoli
    what state are you in.
    In NSW renovation can be done on home owner buiding license duplex you need to go to tafe and unit development full builder license or you can as I do get a builder or two to work with you and split the company in two shares. and then you don’t need any license to develop anything.
    His/hers covers and builds

here to help

Profile photo of ian_from_brisbaneian_from_brisbane
    @ian_from_brisbane

In Qld the requirement for a license before renovating is dependant on the cost of the renovation.

eg. If you keep the cost under a certain amount, you don’t need to get a license for it. Sorry I can’t remember what the threshold is.

http://www.monthlycashprofits.com

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

The Qlds rules are as follows:

1) If the value of the work is $6600 or more then you are required to hold an Owner Builder’s permit.

2) If the value of the work is $11,000 or more then you are required to undertake an Owner
    Builder’s course.

The course must be completed by someone shown on the title of the property.

Cheers Richard

Ph: (07) 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    http://www.yourstatefinance.com

IP funding and US property finance
    our speciality

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Hi Mrisoli,

With respect to owner-builder, I believe the rule is you must own the property for 3 years following completion and not build again as an owner builder for 6 years. At least thats for WA.

If you wish to renovate / build under a company structure, I am guessing you will be doing more than 1 every 6 years and for other people. For this, you will require a builders licence.

As for requirements for reno’s others have indicated limits on when you need to have a license and when you need council approvals. I believe these are state / council based and differ but in WA, anything over $12k requires council approval. Depending where you are, talk to the Builders Registration Board (thats for WA) and to local councils.

Going through it all myself at the moment so if you need more info, will help if I can!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.