All Topics / Help Needed! / How much will I need to start off!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of diggodiggo
    @diggo

Hello, I am new to these forums :)

Before I start reading about all I need to know about property investing, I would like to know how much money I would need to buy my first investment property. I pretty much have no knowledge at all. I am only 16 years old and I want to start now.

I only have $10k in the bank at the moment and quite few more thousand invested online earning me nearly $2000 per month and my job rakes in about $400/month. I am determined to buy my first investment property before I am 18 or 19.

So, around how much would I need to get an investment property? Something nice and cheap.

I hope I dont get flamed for my lack of knowledge

Thankyou!

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

hi diggo,

you are doing very well for a 16 year old. How much you need depends on the price of the property you want to buy usually around 20% deposit. Have you talked to any mortgage brokers? It may be worth scheduling a meeting with one and having a chat about what you need and what you are able to borrow. I’t wouldn’t cost you anything to talk with them.

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

You have enough invested to earn $2000 pm!

That is $24K pa?

at 5% return we are talking $480K capital invested?

You can buy IP’s now. Using a 75% NODOC loan at 7.15% is an example of a loan you can use with no employment.

cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker

[email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of voigtstrvoigtstr
    @voigtstr
    Originally posted by diggo:

<snip>
    I only have $10k in the bank at the moment and quite few more thousand invested online earning me nearly $2000 per month and my job rakes in about $400/month. I am determined to buy my first investment property before I am 18 or 19.

<snip>

How exactly does one get $2000 per month return investing online?

More stuff on the voigtstr at http://users.bigpond.net.au/voigtstr

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Dont you need to be 18 to legally enter into a Mortgage Contract or have your name on a title of land ??

Cheers Richard

Ph: (07) 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    http://www.yourstatefinance.com

IP funding and US property finance
    our speciality

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of diggodiggo
    @diggo
    Originally posted by Dr.X:

hi diggo,

you are doing very well for a 16 year old. How much you need depends on the price of the property you want to buy usually around 20% deposit. Have you talked to any mortgage brokers? It may be worth scheduling a meeting with one and having a chat about what you need and what you are able to borrow. I’t wouldn’t cost you anything to talk with them.

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Hi Dr. X,

Thanks for your reply. Do I really only need a 20% deposit? Say I want an IP for $100k, I only need $20k? It doesnt seem right, but I hope it is!

No, I havent talked to a mortgage broker yet. As I said, I am just starting off and I have no idea lol. Im not sure why I need a mortgage broker, what do they tell you? Its all confusing for me at the moment, I need to do a lot of research!

So do you think I could get an IP for as little as $80k or even less? That would be great. If I could get one that cheap, how much rent do you think I could collect per week or month?

Thankyou :)

Profile photo of Oxygen FundingOxygen Funding
    @oxygen-funding

Yes, I’d also like to know how one can invest on line and get $2000?

Get your money working for you instead of a bank! You could earn up to 3% PER MONTH on your money. Ask me how!

Profile photo of diggodiggo
    @diggo
    Originally posted by Oxygen Funding:

Yes, I’d also like to know how one can invest on line and get $2000?

Get your money working for you instead of a bank! You could earn up to 3% PER MONTH on your money. Ask me how!

Studio Traffic and Paid Response :)

Profile photo of Oxygen FundingOxygen Funding
    @oxygen-funding

sorry to keep pressing, but I’m sure others are just as curious….do you promote this or actually do it and earn that much per month?

Profile photo of LBLB
    @lb

Whooo….Hold on Diggo,

While I am in awe of what you have done to date at the tender age of 16, I can tell you that you do have to be 18 to buy a property. You can also talk to a solicitor about ways of buying a property that you inhert at 18 (a number of ways to do this).

Once you have established that, you need to be very careful where and what you buy. It’s like shares, buy a bad stock and you find there are no buyers when you come to sell, or it moves less than the market. You want a property that is liquid. When you put it on the market , it’s going to attract the largest number of buyers. So if for example, you bought a serviced appartment, and then tried later to sell it, you have excluded all those buying a property to live in and now only have investors looking. You want both, you don’t want to exclude anybody, so size, location, condition (or potential) are all important, regardless of the prize range or suburb.

If you plan to hold it for a long time, one small rule of thumb. If over the last 30 years, you added rents and capital gain together around Sydney (same applies more or less to all capital cities), you would have averaged around 10% pa return compounding.

What that means in English – the higher the rent, the less expected Capital gain. Sound a bit like the stock market?

Look at rent as dividends. Infact, rent returns are often refered to as Yields and calculated the same way the company yields are calculated. They are even quoted the same way, as a % return p.a on your investment.

Average rent returns around Sydney at the moment are 4%. Higher out West and less closer to the CBD. So you should get around $4,000 rent for your $100,000 investment, trouble is there is nothing around for $100,000 that you should even be considering as a first investment. I would suggest maybe spend around $250,000 and buy a 1 bedroom appartment around some of the inner west suburbs. Make sure it’s over 50m2 in living space.

It would be great to see where you are in 10 years? DOn’t loose that drive.

Yes Home Loans Pty Ltd

Is your mortgage advisor accredited with the “Non Bank Lender of the Year?”
    (Money Magazine 2005).

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Welcome, diggo.
    You have already made quite an impression on many forumites, I gather!

You seem to be very serious about property investing, so perhaps for the next few years, until you turn 18 or 19 and want to buy a property, you’ll have quite a bit of time to read some property investment books by different authors to learn about different strategies.

Diggo, although you have a great interest in saving and investing, make sure you have fun as well with some of the money you earn.
    At your age, make sure you keep seeing friends and do fun things, like going to the movies, to the pool, play tennis etc. [thumbsupanim]
    Social contacts are important and spending money for fun is, well….fun![biggrin]

Life is not only about investing[buz2]- investing and saving can have an important place in your life but I hope you are not ignoring your other needs.[party]

You may or may not find my post boring[tired], and not what you want to hear, but I am always a bit concerned about someone so young focusing too much on finances and perhaps ignore their education (which IS important no matter what the guru’s tell you) and perhaps does not have much time to relax and have fun with friends.

Not many people at your age find it a priority to invest, so perhaps it can make you feel a bit lonely if no one you know of your own age shares your interest in investing; you might feel that your friends don’t understand you.

That’s why you need to have other hobbies or sports as well, apart from making money- just so you do not lose contact with your own age group, so that you do not become disengaged with friends.

My point I am trying to make is that it is OK for you to save and invest, as long as you are taking care of your other needs as well [upsidedown](fun, education, sport etc); these things will help you to stay balanced and happy throughout your youth.

Anyway, whatever you decide, feel free to ask away, no one will flame ya, we are ALL here to learn, and I am sure we will learn from you, too!

Celivia

Profile photo of nazzysmithnazzysmith
    @nazzysmith

Diggo, are you those figures correct, or is it 2000$ monthly from your job and 400$ from investments.
    If they are truly correct sounds to me like you may not need to concern yourself with property at the moment. Perhaps you should concentrate on your current returns and increasing them.
    Why the interest in property? are your current investments high risk?
    Looking at the figures you probably only work 1 to 2 days a week. and gross 28800 annually, thats brilliant for 16.

Thomas

Profile photo of munjymunjy
    @munjy

Diggo,

I have only briefly glanced over those websides Studiotraffic and Paidresponse. Correct me if I’m wrong, but do you basically make $2000/mth for surfing the web?

How secure is this? Seems easy enough though! Just gotta leave my computer on before I head off to work :P What’s to lose?

Munjy

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

I believe you have to be 18 to participate in these activities. So I wouldnt be wanting to claim an ‘advertisement bonus’ for advertising on this forum if I were you gibbo, since you are only 16.

Goodluck with the property investing.

milly

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.