All Topics / Help Needed! / Perth – Canals.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of meilin08meilin08
    @meilin08

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any other canal developments in Perth atm apart from the ones down in Mandurah?

When we do eventually come back to perth to live (we have been working in singapore for the last 9 years) that is our dream -to live on the canals- mortgage free [biggrin]!!!

Was looking on the Reiwa site and blocks on the canals down in port bouvard, mandurah are around $400,000.

We are thinking – instead of waiting till we do get back to perth which will be in around 3-4 years time – we should buy now incase prices keep going up.

Thanks, Mei

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi Meilin08

not sure about any other canal developments in Perth Area.

However a block on the canals in Mandurah recently sold for a record $2 million, hard to believe.

If it is your dream to purchase a canal block and you are in a position to purchase now for $400,000 I would say this will be bargain in years to come.

Good luck

Regards, M

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

I’d agree witha Marisa, if you can buy now then do so as the prices keep moving upwards down there.

mmm, I did hear something about canals and Viveash in the future, but it could have all been rumour as I’ve heard nothing since. I guess you could ring City of Swan and see if there was anything to the rumour or whether it was “just a rumour”.

PK

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Meilin08,

recently had the opportunity to visit Carnarvon, They are beautifying their forshore (it looks the part) very much in line with what Mandurah has done. Although not close to Perth, they recently had a big move on property values! Stage two of their forshore development will (or has been) announced during the Perth Royal show this year.
    Blocks aren’t hughe but they are making special Marina style water front lots.

Just for your info! Apparently you get good mangoes and bananas there too (sorry was there for work!).

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Profile photo of meilin08meilin08
    @meilin08

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help.

Called the City of Swan – apparently back in 1997 they were talking about canals in Viveash but they are not going ahead now.

ummm Carnarvon – a bit too far[biggrin]

Anyone else know of any other upcoming canal developments – apart from Mandurah?

Thanks, Mei

Profile photo of thomaspthomasp
    @thomasp

Hi Mei,

Maybe not quite canals but you could check out http://www.epra.wa.gov.au this is the site for the East Perth Redevelopment Authority. They cut one inlet there a few years ago where there’s a lot of big houses with price tags to match. Blocks sold for under 200k in early 90’s and houses now over 2 mill. They are planning a big redevelopment of the area near the WACA, mostly apartments I think but they may be doing another inlet/canal type of thing.

Going to take some time a 10 – 15 year plan to have it all done. The redevelopment of the old power station is also part of this.

Hopefully of some help.

Cheers,

Thomas

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

There will be canals at Coogee but that could be a couple of years away. Note that a WA public servant recently said anyone investing in canals is crazy (due to rising water levels, gobal warming etc)… I have no opinion either way. Would be nice I am sure. A lot of the debate is who will pay to retain the rising water levels, which properties should be let go and how do you choose some over others etc. I would imagine th South Perth foreshore for exanple will be retained and areas like the Perth foreshore, where as places like Silver Sands may be let go.

http://www.megapropertygroup.com

INVESTMENT SALES * RENTAL SOLUTIONS * STRATA MANAGEMENT

@meilin08

Thanks again for your replies.

Hrrrmmm never thought about the global warming/rising water level issues. Good point.

Hi Ausprop,

Canals at Coogee. Do you know who the developers are going to be etc.

Thanks, Mei

Participant
    @ausprop

Hi Mei – sorry I don’t know much about it… at the prices they will be they won’t be your typical median house price stock.

@meilin08

Thanks Ausprop,

Will keep a look out for the development.

Mei

Profile photo of jilks2jilks2
    @jilks2

Hi

The first release canals at Coogee/Port Catherine will be on a similar scale as Mandurah, and my guess is that capital growth will be a lot higher as:

1 – They are building on rehabiliated land
    2 – A lot nearer to the CBD
    3 – The anchor for the development is a 200 berth Marina.

Still some way off the release but a better play would be to buy in arterial routes around Cockburn and Coogee if looking to benefit from this, or get your sleeping bag and camp out when the releases are made. Call the WA planning and they will fill you in. Note, the Coogee development is also called Port Catherine by the admin wallahs.

As for global warming the big story in WA is not really rising sea levels. The big story will be drinking water. If global warming actually does cause a rise in sea levels and this is more than 1m, then 70% of the WA natural acquifier will be too saline to drink. So you may not be too bothered about flooding ruining your carpets – you’ll be spending most of your time scavenging for drinking water.

Note – the opposition in the last election had a nonsense plan to build a canal (literally worked up on the back of an envelope!) that would bring in water from the Kimberley – several thousand kilometres away. Water will be a big issue in WA in the future. 20 years from now people wont just pay a premium for views of water – they’ll want a bore in the backgarden as well.

Regards
    J.

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

I wonder whether Coogee canal development will in fact fetch more than Mandurah??

Apparently next release of land in Port Bouvard will be premium lots fronting the canal and channel and are priced between $795,000 and $1.8 million.

Participant
    @ausprop

in the scenario you paint there would be no point sinking a ground bore – the combination of increased demand and the raising sea level would see you watering your garden with salt water.
    I think the the canal/pipeline or whatever is inevitable and just a matter of when. if we want to populate this country to a sustainable level we will need to irrigiate the whole of WA. if we dont do it at Aussies, there are plenty of other countries that would quite willingly rise to the challenge.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.