All Topics / Help Needed! / Positive Geared

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of f1jordanf1jordan
    @f1jordan

[mellow]I have spent months looking high & low, however appear to be looking in all the wrong places. Can anyone point me in the right direction to finding positive cash flow properties? I don’t expect anyone to give away their trade secrets, however I am seriously running on empty.[blush2]

Thanks in advance!

F1JORDAN

Profile photo of koshykoshy
    @koshy

be patient. ideally country areas are better for cashflow properties. to give you an idea i watched the market of a coastal town for three months before i found one but acted to late. inland its a bit better, theres quite a few to be had around mining towns, but caution is needed as your cashflow is very dependent on the mines themselves.

Profile photo of pete rpete r
    @pete-r

Hi f1

I know that feeling well but as Koshy says, patience is important. Opportunities present themselves when you know what to look for, and often aren’t obvious unless you do know what it is that you’re looking for. When they present you then have to act.

Have you read Steve’s books? In residential property it is extremely difficult to find an IP that is already CF+ unless you are investing in NZ or USA. In the Masterclass Steve educates you on how to create a CF+ IP.

Alternatively you can invest in commercial property but generally the amount of money you require is greater.

Education is the key.

Good luck

pr

Profile photo of hellmanhellman
    @hellman

Try Steve McKnights 2nd book, as there he goes into how to “find” opportunities and create +CF.

Hellman

Profile photo of f1jordanf1jordan
    @f1jordan

Thanks for your advice everyone. Yes I have read Steve’s first book, however am just starting the second.
    I will continue to be patient and continue my fast growing education.
    [headphone]

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Hi F

I can understand your frustrations and I used to be the same. It’s one of those things that you need education to be able to spot. Positive cashflow properties can be created anywhere and everyday, but they just don’t jump up at you. you need to make them by creatively solving peoples financial and housing problems. Please keep reading, there are a few examples in steves 2nd book, but its not everything.

Real estate is really about PEOPLE and understanding their needs, its not really about buying houses!

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi F1Jordan,

Try this;

Part A.

*Take a break and give yourself a bit of time to re-energize. (Try 10 days without thinking about anything to do with investing) after that

*Speak with a broker (experienced and someone you can get along with) and find out exactly how much you can borrow.

*Ask yourself why you want to find a cashflow positive property/s.

*Make a plan of how you would manage the property once you obtain one.

*Make an honest list of your talents that you can use in part B (if it is a family effort everyone should do this). If you want to be corny you can even have a family meeting. There is no point investing if you are the only one who has a committment to it.

Part B.

*Look in all the places you had before. There still are not any cashflow properties, right?

*Make a list of all the reasons you can’t find what you are looking for in those locations

*Now start looking for locations that don’t have any of the attributes on the list.

*Never ever but an investment purely because of a certain gross yield number. Look for fundamental value in the town/city.

*Never ever buy a problem you can’t fix (or have someone fix for you)

*Always use real numbers

*Always ask questions (no matter how silly you think it is – you will be surprised) The other day I asked an agent “so what is wrong with ths property” and got what translated into a long list of obsticles. Sometimes you will get the truth especially when people know that is what you want to hear! I still may buy it!

*Always pay for good professional advice before you make a decision

*Always get and independant valuation

* Get up from in front of the PC and make some phone calls.

Part C

Now get out of the house and make it happen!

Best of Luck on your journey. Hope you have some fun along the way.

[email protected]
    NZ Investors & Property Spotters
    Renovations & Project Management

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of Richo1Richo1
    @richo1

Don and Liz,
    Thanks for the post I was about to lose my mind . Like f1jorden I was and am wonding if the c+f properties exist. is this a timing thing or are the good old days over I guest I am ask were is the cycle now.
    Regards Richo

Participant
    @don

Hi Richo,

Everyday it seems that I meet someone with new ideas about investing. Each person has a view on where the market cycle is going. Just using the term “market” might whip certain people up into a frenzy. It will be quickly pointed out to us that there is no one homogenus market for anything let alone property. Maybe oil or something but then I’m sure someone could give us a view on the many different markets even for commodities.

Anyway

I like to read alot and talk to as many people as I can about property and things in general. What you will find is that as I said every individual has an opinion.

Talk to as many individuals as you can from different groups and find out what the “trend” amoung that group is. What are people doing? Are they selling and why? Who is buying and why? Talk to older people, younger people whoever. Look closely and business activity. Have a coffee (or tea) at a local cafe and just people watch.

I could just tell you that you should let me do all the hard work for you and find you a cashflow positive property tomorrow. Or I could tell you that I am selling one of my own yielding 10% plus to invest in a new project. However, really what you need to do as an investor is make solid decisions about what you want and why and then find the people to make it happen for you in that particular market. Not the other way around.

For me cashflow investing is all about sustainability. More cash in than out in real dollars (no fancy accounting) means that my entire portfolio pays for itself including maintenance and repairs. Equity gains will allow you to use different strategies to grow your portfolio. Every now and then you may choose to refinance of sell something.

My point is that although my portfolio has reached that point now I am not and hopefully will never be a “yield purest”.

If you are looking for a whole swag of 10%ers just for the sake of it you probably won’t get very far.

Richo, if your market (within reach considering your comfort zone whatever that is) is yielding 5% or 7% then maybe it is better to buy in your backyard but with a different strategy.

You may use a different strategy to make quick cash and increase your deposit amounts or pay down debt. There are so many things to do you could be here all day.

Think of it as a “vibe”. (remember that movie the castle)

The “vibe”for me is that investment property should pay for itself and I should not and do not put dollars in out of my own pay packet. Starting out you may have to modify this a little but try and always think of the end game.

If you a forking out dollars you need to know exactly why and for how long. Think “end game” first and then work out how to make it all happen.

Yield is a tool just like cap growth. It just helps you get where you want to be.

Cheers

[email protected]

Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of EllyHEllyH
    @ellyh

Hi F1Jordan,
    I’m in the same boat as you – and asked a similar Q a few days ago, got similar responses in relation to reading Steve’s 2nd book (which I had already read) – perhaps Hellman is on commission!! Don’t give up though if this is what you want to do. I gave up a good paying government job in March this year to follow my dream and work with my partner, and whilst it hasn’t been plain sailing I’ve loved every minute of it.

A couple of other suggestions – consider value adding (adding a wall and converting a 2 bedder into a 3 bedder); and check out the stockmarket, if you have a few spare $’s now could be a good time to get in.

Enjoy whatever you decide to take on, that’s what life is all about!

Cheers
    Elly

PS – Don and Liz – great post, thanks for the inspiration.

Participant
    @don

Hi Elly,

Thanks. Good luck with the investing!!

[email protected]

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of AphexAphex
    Participant
    @aphex

I think Don and Liz have offered sound advise. Try and set achievable goals for your level of expirience.

I still have not found any positive cash flow properties (although I have tried very hard), so have mostly purchased properties that are nearly nutraly geared. I have found that by letting inflation take its course, in just a few short years, these properties become positively geared. Although this is not ideal, I am still able to use this method to build a positively geared portfolio whilst my skills are developing.

happy house hunting
    Seb

Profile photo of Bayden HammondBayden Hammond
    Participant
    @bayden-hammond

I am practically laughed at by many when I say I am looking for a positively geared property. I have been told, “In this day and age, you would need a pretty hefty deposit to make positive cashflow returns on property…” I really want to prove these comments wrong, but my research seems to be doing the exact opposite. So are positively geared properties only for those who can afford higher initial cash outlays?[hmmm]

Bayden Hammond

Profile photo of Bayden HammondBayden Hammond
    Participant
    @bayden-hammond

PS: I should also add that I have found properties with potential for positive cashflows, but these have literally been on the border of Victoria (I am a Melbourne dweller looking for Victorian property at this stage), hours and hours away with usually very poor potential for a strong rental demand / income.

I am starting to feel just a little bit cynical…

Bayden Hammond

Profile photo of Mikey PMikey P
    Participant
    @mikey-p

Check out http://www.realestate.com.au
    WA then type in Kalgoorlie and Kambalda. You should find a few there. I am not endorsing these places however I am investing there at the moment.
    Mikey

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.