Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Here is a quick story that might get a giggle from y’all.

Yesterday I got the phonecall I’d been waiting for all my life…that I had won some easy money.
    ……I had the opportunity to pick up as many palm trees as I wanted from a friend who was working at one of the big corporate companies in the city. For Nothing![blink][:D][:D][:D]
    …..I quickly checked the value of palm trees (slow growing and highly desirable) and the second hand market had them trading in the thousands each!!! I figured a big corporation wouldn’t be skimping on the type of palm they were using as the image for corporate HQ.
    …..I spent the next day co-ordinating a big trailer and to pick the money makers up with my friend. I planned to sell them on the drip over the next few months.
    …….I got down to the offices early the next day (I only squeezed in 3 hours sleep as I was on Night Shift) and picked up 4 10 foot trees with heaps of foliage. Treating them like delicate babies and loaded them in to trailer. Nearly breaking my back….They were v.heavy.
    …….I drove them to a property that I had vacant and bought the best fertiliser and nutrient liquids and mulch to ease their transfer of home.
    I was gloating to myself as I cruised down the highway ., the sheer weight of them was bouncing the car on the bounce stops and near ripping the back half of the car off. The front wheels were almost in the air as I half-aqua-planed the 1 hour drive to the property.
    ……I had contacted a lot of people who were eager to see what type of palm it was. These were going to go like hotcakes.
    ……Anyway after a full mornings work of HARD YAKKA , I dropped them off and took some photos. A plant guy at work said he would ID them for me.
    …..OOOOOOOOO, I couldn’t wait.
    ……They were cordyline australis. OK, Great!, Now what were they worth in $$$$ ?[bike2]
    …..
    ….
    …..
    ….
    …. I checked the nursery price lists and full grown specimens like these were worth…..
    …….
    ……
    …..ONLY $100 bucks each![wail][wail][wail]
    …..They were goddamn NZ Cabbage Trees. Messy, common crappy weeds on sticks.

………Oh man, I guess I’ll have to keep waiting for that call….

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Geez LifeX, watch your back and hernia doing stuff like that. If you blow a gasket it is never worth it.

Funny you should mention palm trees however….

Have I got a deal for you.

We own an IP with a very large palm tree in it. It’s about 8 feet circumference around the base and about 35 feet high.

If someone wants it they are most welcome to it. To my positive way of thinking they are great for three things…

1. Dropping their frond poiny things everywhere.
    2. Potentially falling on the house and crushing everything in their path.
    3. Being a convenient place for rats to congregate.

If anyone values these palm thingys, and you are willing to extract at your sole cost and risk, you are most welcome to it.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Ok, Dazzling, I may hold you to that offer. I know that Vic. Resorts and Hotels have been known to pay big dollars (extraction and even interstate truck delivery costs included), for good palm trees.

I will be in contact if I can set up a good buyer.

……you can keep the rats though!

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of Oxygen FundingOxygen Funding
    @oxygen-funding

We have quite a few of the really tall palms with the thin trunk and bunches of seeds. What sort of price to they fetch – keeping in mind I’m in Qld.

Get your money working for you instead of a bank! You could earn up to 3% PER MONTH on your money. Ask me how!

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

I think Palms are great!
    After-all, when they drop a leaf, it’s not like you need a rake or anything! Just walk up to it and drag it out! Great around pools, much better than any other trees! Hehehe, we find them most cyclone resistant too. Works well in Hedland! [grin]

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.