Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi all

i saw this story and i thought it may interest a few of you who own properties in this Taranaki city. We purchased a number of properties in hawera for ourselves and our clients in 2004 and the good news keeps coming.

Thursday, 08 September 2005
    Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz Author: KRYSTI WETTON

Hawera’s proposed $17 million supermarket development could create 250 new jobs for the town.
    Foodstuffs is planning to build a Pak’N Save supermarket and fuel outlet in the centre of Hawera.

“We hope to start construction early next year,” Foodstuffs property and retail development manager Wayne O’Styke said yesterday.

The proposed site for the one-storey development is between Albion and Princes streets. The block of land is occupied by the Dominion Hotel, which has closed, the empty Albion House and the former NDA Engineering premises and Coltons Motor Vehicle Company caryard.

Foodstuffs wants to construct a 4370m? building, with 183 carparks.

Mr O’Styke said Hawera’s supermarket supply was reasonably low compared with national levels. “It’s a significant enough town to warrant that (a Pak’N Save).”

South Taranaki Deputy Mayor Jack Rangiwahia said the prospect of 250 jobs was excellent news.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for South Taranaki, especially Hawera.

“It means there will be a number of jobs, which will help retain our population.”

He said South Taranaki was suffering a population drain, as were many other rural areas.

It was encouraging that large companies such as Foodstuffs were investing in Hawera, he said. “It will be a boost for the ongoing development of the town.”

He said Hawera residents were positive about the proposed supermarket.

The South Taranaki District Council is working through the resource consent application for the development.

STDC environmental services manager Graham Young said it had been decided the consent would be non-notified.

There were no zoning issues and a slight height infringement was offset by the overall size of the building, he said.

“The only one it will affect is themselves.”

He was unsure how long the application process would take.

Mr O’Styke said the $30 million Pak’N Save development in New Plymouth was on schedule to open mid-2006.

Pak’N Save in Centre City would move to the new location, on Leach St.

“Construction is proceeding well. We’ve certainly been very lucky with your weather.”

He said fuel would be sold from the site, but the exact location had not yet been decided. “We have our own fuel outlets now. We’ve got about eight of them around the lower North Island.”

regards westan

http://www.nzpropertytogo.com
    check it out !
    Properties in the USA 15-25% returns- email to join our database [email protected]

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi all

sorry i should have addded

if anyone wants to buy or sell in hawera i’d recommend you call
    Jo Oxenham at Selwyn Metcalfe Real estate
    64 6 278 2000 mob 64 272780999

Jo is not only one of Hawera’s leading agents she is one of my favorites in all on NZ (and i know hundreds). So buying or selling she is worth a call (and no i’m not on commission[biggrin].

regards westan

http://www.nzpropertytogo.com
    check it out !
    Properties in the USA 15-25% returns- email to join our database [email protected]

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi All,

Just wanted to add that we also have big raps on this region. Have one there and choosing to hold it!

Every time we are up that way it seems that something new is happening.

Cahflow opportunities may be limited at present but there is money to be made for savvy investors in that region.

Cheers

[email protected]
    NZ Investors & Property Spotters
    Renovations & Project Management

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of Paul34Paul34
    @paul34

Hi Westan

The more I read from you the more i like your style!!

As promised i will up-date everyone on the purchases that I made after attending Steve’s presentation in NZ. Stuck to the goals that i had and picked up 815k worth of property all over 10% at various places around NZ.

All were 10%+ gy and one of the major areas that i came across was indeed Hawera. I’m trying to get a website up about my whole portfolio (now 35 properties) but after scouring the web (and driving the length and breadth of NZ) the only places I believe were left were South Taranki, the odd one on the westcoast of the south Island (if you could find something that was not Maori land) and the odd smaller town (to be disclosed once I finish on this last deal).

Anyway could not agree more about Hawera and to a lesser extent Patea (which has a surprisingly good beach). What both of these places have over other towns like Tokoroa (which for the record I would not touch with a barge) is that they are under supplied for rental. Ring an agent to get a quality property in hawera and then ring one in tokora.

What else has STaranki got (oil industry growth growth growth). Supermarkets do more dd than mcdonalds and just as I brought in waganui when i saw pak and save go then so to this is a sign to anyone that Hawera is a great spot.

Profile photo of TokyoJoeTokyoJoe
    @tokyojoe

815k in property seems a lot to me. Do you have any problems managing this?

OZ and NZ property managers seem to be quite different from my experience.

Advertise your property for free: http://nzproperty.org/

@paul34

Not at all, so long as it is cashflow positive. That in essence is the morale of the site and this philosophy on prop. I have also sold property to fund renos which ensure stable tenants and good rents. Finally, and a key part of the puzzle, I do have good cashflow from my business which enables me to handle shortfall and provides the banks with the critera they need. i think this is vital and what people never talk about. it took me ten years to build my business but it now provides the vechile for investment. In my mind there ain’t any easy way around it:-
    1) Get an education that is your best guarentee for a decent wage.
    2) If you can start a business.
    3) Invest

Too many people want to jump in at 3 and that is what a lot of the guys in NZ selling courses promote. It is not what they say but what they don’t which is where is the secondary cash source.

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Paul

You said:

What both of these places have over other towns like Tokoroa (which for the record I would not touch with a barge)

Ummm, what is the problem with Tokoroa?

A group from Australia have recently bought a large number of units in Tokoroa.
    I wonder what they know and everybody else doesn’t if in your eyes you wouldn’t touch Tokoroa with the proverbial barge?

Regards

Join us at http://www.propertytalk.com

@paul34

Hi Muppet

If the site could take pictures I would show you as i have some shots on film (I went there to see for myself what all the fuss waqs about). Boarded houses, Boarded shopping block and a supply of rentals. Couple this with the insecurity of the employment situation and the attraction is what??

Is it any wonder it is Aussies buying there and not kiwis. Much like the kiwis buying apt blocks in Queenstown me thinks.

When you look at New Zealand and see amazing small towns with good beaches, etc. that have a similar yeild without the hassles Tok’s is hardly that attractive. Especially now that the eyes have been picked out of it.

However please don’t let me stop Aussies buying there!!

BTW: Have brought a couple off Aussies lately (not in Tok’s obviously). The best thing about them is that they are absent landlords and don’t seem to like spending money to do the property up and therefore it gets run down. If they are to invest here they do need to spend money to bring the property up to spec but in towns like Tok where rent is capped it is easy to over capitilise. What a quandry :)

@paul34

Sorry that should be Queensland not Queenstown!!

Profile photo of NobleoneNobleone
    @nobleone

Hi Paul34,

I have 2 flats in Hawera and a 3-bed in Waverley.

Did you buy in Hawera? If so what streets?

I am a long distance NZ investor living in Queensland… But I do look after my IP’s. Just spent $15k doing up the flats.

Would love to get more of your thoughts on Hawera?

Cheers, Nobleone [biggrin]

“Making mistakes is just another another tool for learning.”

Profile photo of MaiAMaiA
    @maia

Hey all

In defense of Tokoroa, I have been told by a local that many people live in Tokoroa and commute to nearby cities for work. She said that there have been many to arrive from Auckland who think that Tokoroa is a breath of fresh air after living in the big smoke, and because they are used to travelling up to 1 hr to their workplaces in Auckland, they are then quite happy to commute to nearby cities for work. To travel from Tokoroa to Rotorua or Hamilton for example is under 1hr drive. Also to be able to buy a home for much less dosh (compared to Auckland prices) is another major attraction.

Cheers
    Mai

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla
    Originally posted by MaiA:

Hey all

In defense of Tokoroa, …
    Also to be able to buy a home for much less dosh (compared to Auckland prices) is another major attraction.

Cheers
    Mai

Hi Mai…. only problem is that hte capital gain opportunities are not there as much as other opportunities out there.
    Cheers.
    Kiwi

@paul34

Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay in getting back into the forum. I see theere were some questions on where I brought in Hawera.

To protect the tenants privacy I won’t be exact other than they are streets that border the town.

Both were do ups. I brought themm straight after Stephens presentation in NZ in June, 2005.

1. 5 minutes walk from town is a massive (and i mean massive) house which was splitinto two (1 and 5 bedroom). I remodelled this to be a 2 and 4 bedroom. Gross yeild 12.4%. do up 12k.

2. The other is a do up in a very good street. 10k spent 11% yeild but revalued and 40k+ equity.

Also brought two in Patea which I see as rising slower but being one of those undiscovered costal areas underpinned by the growing economy in south taranki.

Also after that I brought another in Pahiata (2 flat property) and commercial.

Recently focus on Westport where I have picked up two complet blocks of flats on a 10-12% YEILD respectively.,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.