All Topics / Help Needed! / Floor Construction Options

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of BrizzaBrizza
    Participant
    @brizza

I’ve been told that besides a concrete slab, there are other floor construction options when building a home. Does anyone know what they are? And how they compare to the standard concrete slab in terms of price, advantages and disadvantages?

Profile photo of Kevin_3Kevin_3
    @kevin_3

Brizza

One other common type is a wooden floor on brick, concrete or steel stumps (piers). On top of the piers are heavy wood beams (bearers and joists)The floor can be floor boards or sheets of particle board which are fixed to the joists.

The other method is a raised concrete slab, where brick foundations are built up, the area inside filled with dirt and then the slab poured on top.

Which you choose depends on what you want to achieve. Wooden floors are good if you want to get up high or have an extremely sloped block.

Another method is a suspended concrete floor where a metal tray is built up on stilts and the concrete poured into it. Just what you want if your house is overhanging a cliff!

I am not sure of the cost differences, there is a lot more work in a timber floor, but I think the materials are cheaper.

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi Brizza
    Have a look at styrocon syd 99398491
    can be used for floors wall and roofs used in unit construction.

here to help

Profile photo of donar@eftel.com[email protected]
    @donar-eftel.com
    Originally posted by Brizza:

I’ve been told that besides a concrete slab, there are other floor construction options when building a home. Does anyone know what they are? And how they compare to the standard concrete slab in terms of price, advantages and disadvantages?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.