All Topics / Help Needed! / Need help – estimate renovation costs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of vernonvernon
    @vernon

Hi,

I need help from the gurus to estimate some renovation costs on a potential IP:

1) Sewerage needs to be connected to mains – currently connected to tanks…(not sure what that means, can someone explain?). Sounds like a major job to me. Any estimates on the potential cost?

2) Pool needs to be repaired to safety standards – what does this mean and would a better option be to remove the pool altogether?

3) Any idea how long usually the above 2 works would take?

Thanks

Vernon

Profile photo of Kevin_3Kevin_3
    @kevin_3

The sewer is connected to tanks means it is a septic tank system – most likely a pump out one. The costs to connect it to the sewer main would depend on the distance the new connecting pipes need to go. The work needs to be done by a licensed plunber, so you would need to get a few quotes. They will also tell you a time frame. You will also have a connection fee of some sort payable to the council or water authority. I have just priced this in one part of NSW & was told $15,000 for each house. This is to pay towards pipes, treatment works etc. I hope in your area it’s not so steep.

As for the pool – Sorry no idea!

Profile photo of gavvicgavvic
    @gavvic

Hi Vernon
    How longs a piece of string?
    There is so much information required to give an estimate on the work needing to be done.

Kevin is spot-on with his info. As far as the pool safety goes, might just need a few locks on doors and window or a pool fence might be needed or in need of repair? You will have check with the local council where the prop is located. As far as removing the pool, is it above ground (cheap to remove) or in ground (not so cheap to remove)[eh]

Money can’t buy everything
    what it can’t buy I don’t want

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Hi Vernon,

With respect to sewer connections, I have just had that done over here in Perth and involves the following:

1. Divert Sewer line from house so it goes to sewer mains rather than septic system.
    2. Pump out existing septic tanks
    3. Fill the tanks with sand and compact.
    4. Sign off by plumber that work has been completed and conncected to sewer.

All up, cost me about $3000 so not as bad as others have stated. All depends on how far to the sewer line, how deep the line is, what type of ground conditions (rock is a hellava lot more expensive than sand or dirt!),what type of access you have and how much rectification you need to get done.

Mine only took a few days to complete but again, depends on a lot of factors. Hardest part is finding contractors these days!

good luck

Jan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.