All Topics / Opinionated! / Locked out tenant

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of suzettesuzette
    Participant
    @suzette

We have recently purchased a large house and rent it by the room to students.

Trouble is twice in tha last eight days one of the students have locked themselves out, outside of business hours. Tonight the student rang the mobile of the real estate agent who is managing the property for us and she gave them our HOME phone number, and told the student to call us. I have just had words with the real estate agent about giving out our home number to a tenant that we are paying them to manage.

Does anyone know of a service that will go out and let temants in for a fee to the tenant?

Does anyone know of another real estate agent in the Sunnybank area of Brisbane that manages rent by the room lets other than Ray White? What is their service like.

I think it is time to change our agent as we also found a student this weekend who wanted to rent our last vacant room but the agent was on a weekend away and no one else could help at the office on a Saturday! We lost the tenant.

Cheers

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

I tell my students that if they lock themselves out that I can post a spare key which will take a day (they pay costs) or call a locksmith who does callouts. The tenant pays the locksmith when they turn up.

In my area all the agents scoffed at the idea of managing my student rentals for me by the room….too much trouble for them. Might be different in your area though, call around!

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

hi suzette

our policy on keys is that its the tenants home not mine, If I lock myself out (I own my home) there is no one I can call so why should they, you are providing accomodation not a locksmith service. Tell them that if they loose keys or lock themselves out, its their resposibility to do something about it!!!

What if you didnt keep a copy yourself? In alot of instances we dont keep copies of the keys we hand out to our tenants (we change locks between tenants anyway), they know this and dont call us!

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Is there nothing that these wet blanket residential tenants will actually step up to the plate for and actually take some responsibility ??

I don’t know how you cruel and heartless Landlord’s could bear to fall asleep, knowing full well the tenant cannot get in to your property….hang on, who’s property is it ??

An interesting situation if they smash their way in and injure themselves (cut artery in the wrist as their fist goes through the window). Who pays for the medical and property costs ?? Surely not the tenant.

I’d immediately jump up out of bed and drive over there to graciously let them in. I’d also help them with their jam-jams and make them a nice warm cup of cocoa, whilst reading them a bedtime story. Even then, the lawyers and tribunals would be saying you didn’t fulfil your responsibility as a Residential Landlord.

What a carry on…thankfully we don’t play those silly games any more.

Suzette – what does it specifically say in your lease about who foots the bill if the tenant loses the key ?? Most likely nothing…in which case, I reckon you’d be up for it, despite common sense telling you the opposite. If you read the legislation governing the relationship between Landlord and residential tenant – you’ll quickly realise common sense has no part to play.

I find it absolutely astonishing that when the going got tough, the PM dumped the responsibility back in your lap. Geez, I’ve never heard of that before.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I used to pop around and unlock the door last year – happened three times I think. But I only live 5km away and really didn’t mind too much.

This year I put on my rental agreement a $25 callout fee for lockouts, which I probably wouldn’t have asked for on the first occassion.

Hasn’t happened yet this year.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker

[email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of suzettesuzette
    Participant
    @suzette

Thanks everyone for your comments.

The agent has attended another lock out this week, we will be adding an extra clause to the leases.

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Sorry, this has nothing to do with this topic, but I have a technical problem with the PI.com site. I cannot go to most threads, e.g. technicalities; I cannot go to ‘contact us’ or to my PM’s because the “Mentor Program Seems to be Full” ad is spread over my page and disables/blocks almost everything.

Does anyone else have this error? I see most people have been posting as normal, that’s why I think it’s ‘my’ problem?

Ya’d better fix it or tell me how to fix it, webdudes, hehe, or everyone will be stuck with me on this very thread forever and eveeeeeeer throughout eternity since this seems to be the only thing that works!

Celivia

Participant
    @celivia

Hehe, I cannot edit either, so hellooo again, another brandnew post from moi- warned ya ya’d be stuck with me:)) !
    Perhaps someone can direct this to the tech forum for me since I can’t do it?
    Thanks!

Celivia

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Hi Celivia,

Seems that you’re locked in [ohno]

Sorry I couldn’t help laughing!

Also sorry I can’t help.

I can tell you that the “Mentor Program Seems to be Full” add left my screen sometime before lunch today but while it was there it had the same paralysing effect for me.

Just keep posting and someone who can help you is sure to notice?[sleepy2]

Sonja

Participant
    @celivia

Hehe Sonja, after I wrote the above post, I noticed the name of the topic and giggled, too!

Hopefully someone is on his/her way with a key to free me from this jail, hehe!
    Me wanna be rescued, me is still locked inside this topic! Is lonely in here without the smilies- they ignore me, too!
    Key keeper, where are yaaaaaaaaaa?

Celivia

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Suzette..

Just wondering, did they locked themselves out of the house..or their Individual Rooms, if it’s Individual Rooms you may want to put punch code locks on the doors,if your doing this long term you can change punch codes each tenancy rather than change locks, also ensure the doors are not self-locking (they have to use the key to secure the door- that way keys aren’t locked in)?

If it’s too expensive for them (locksmith on a Sunday is about $150-200 isn’t it?) you can bet they’ll ‘break-in’ or start leaving something open.

These type of problems usually happen at the start of a lease (Semester) with students, but get better as they get used to it.

I’d speak to the REA Licensee regarding the PM..You may as well do it yourself if thats the kind of PM you get..so much for privacy.

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Hi Again Celivia,

Seriously, I did post in the tech forum on your behalf – I guess it’s just a matter of waiting…[whistle]

BTW how long have you been here?

Hope you’re not stuck for the weekend!

Sonja

Participant
    @celivia

Wooohooo Sonja, thank you for sending out an SOS!
    I’ve been staring at the ad from this morning- OOOHH something clicks: perhaps I should click the “Join the waiting list” option in the ad and I’ll be next on the list to be rescued, hehe.

Celivia

Profile photo of munjymunjy
    @munjy

Restart your internet browser? Or your computer?

I’m no computer expert but these are always the first port of call for me.

Sorry can’t help more

Munjy

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.