All Topics / Value Adding / Are there more rules to get 3 on instead of 2?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of NATS12NATS12
    @nats12

I am looking at properties to subdivide and build on the back on. I have mostly been looking at houses with the potential to renovate the front and subdivide the back to build a second proerty. I have also come across some properties that may have the potential to fit 2 properties behind the existing house at the front. Do different rules apply if I am applying to put 2 on the back instead of just 1? Look forward hearing from anyone with knowledge in this area.

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

If it is in Victoria, the answer is no, the rules are the same. I can’t comment on other States.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Which State are you in?

Cheers Richard

Ph: (07) 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    http://www.yourstatefinance.com

IP funding and US property finance
    our speciality

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of NATS12NATS12
    @nats12

ah yes, forgot to mention where I am.

In Melbourne.

Participant
    @aperry

In that case I can confirm that the regulations for 3 are the same as 2. Have a lolok at the local planning scheme for the area you are interested in, you will find them all at http://www.dse.vic.gov.au

Profile photo of icarus1icarus1
    @icarus1

The rules are the same, work on 400 sqm per unit and check the councils DPO for the area, even if it says that it is okay for medium or high density check that there are no new strategic plans for the area as i know one council where this will happen and those that have purchased will come unstuck. Note a good development site where you will make money is as rare as hens teeth today and you will only get one crack at it as there are plenty of people ready to snap it up.

Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

your right in saying good development sites are had to find, and normally when you do find one there is a hell of a lot of other people that have found it also. In my case they always seem to have more money than me, or are willing to spend more on the property. OUCH!

As for how much land per unit/townhouse/villa, my suggestion is you talk to an architect and get them to help you with that as they would know the ins and outs of the council regulations. It also depends on what you want to build, 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom. There are so many factors to consider when looking at what is able to be built, its not all about land size. Thats why i suggest you have a chat to a friendly architect. He will not only make you aware of things to look at(apart from land size) but also give you a great indication of what can be built as he is THERE on the land you propose to build on. All a planner can do is give you guidelines, as he is not on the land itself and doesnt have a plan to go by.

hope this helps

“It’s not how much money you make, It’s how you spend it that matters.”

Aspiring property developer

Giulio Taranto

Participant
    @aperry

400sqm is a nice large size to work with, but you can fit units on much smaller blocks, particularly if you are looking closer in to the city.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.