All Topics / Help Needed! / Investing in Self Storage

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of LukeNealeLukeNeale
    @lukeneale

Hi to all,
    I have found in ideal piece of propeerty in a suitable area and am very interested in building some self storage sheds as a commercial investment. Has anyone had any experienece in this and what should I look out for as possible pitfalls
    Thanks
    Luke

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Hi Luke,
    This link to The Self Storage Association of Australasia may provide you with some info,
    http://www.selfstorage.com.au/industry.php
    Cheers.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

Mobile Mortgage Market
    Ph: 0402 483 216
    [email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au

PLEASE note comments made should not be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice.

Profile photo of LukeNealeLukeNeale
    @lukeneale

Thanks Steve,
    Great help! Didn’t even know there was a Self Storage Association.
    Will let you know how I go
    Luke

Profile photo of jtwjtw
    @jtw

I don’t know much about self storage my self but a good friend owns one and reckons it is the best investment he ever made. Apparently they need to be built from concrete tilt up construction for fire and pest risks. I am amazed there is a self storage association and I’ll be checking it out myself.
    jtw

Profile photo of LukeNealeLukeNeale
    @lukeneale

Is your friend an independent operator or part of a larger franchise? Where is his business?

Profile photo of jtwjtw
    @jtw

Luke,
    my friend is an independent. He runs the rental through a normal RE property manager. The facility is up at Redcliffe in QLD. Has a very high rental occupancy.If he needs to fill a space he just runs a 1 liner in the local rag. He had them built and that is why I know about the Tilt up construction part. I believe the big factor is location. Not so much High visibilty location, it is more important it is a growing/changing area. surprising thing is that he only had one speed boat in storage even though he was near the water.
    JTW

Profile photo of vernonvernon
    @vernon

jtw,

would your friend be able to give some indication as to the price of building such a property? Also what other costs are there, e.g. insurance etc? that one should be aware of?

Thanks

Profile photo of jtwjtw
    @jtw

sorry but that is about as much as I know. He has had it about 3-4 years. paid about $400k for 39spaces varying in size, included some crap looking land(125k?). he nets 30-35k after all expenses. He told me his net was about 60% after everything he can legally and questionably claim.
    Unit rent varies from area to area so I don’t know how much this will help. He checked out all different ways of doing things and he went independent. He is pretty switched on so I believe he would have nailed it. Joining a national chain means nothing. Its not like McDonalds or anything. People after Secure, Clean, Safe, Value in that order it seems. I know he keeps pushing the idea down my throat, telling me it is good stuff. I guess I lacked motivation until lately. I will be checking things out. If I glean any gems of info I will get back to you, but that is all I can think of for now.
    JTW

Profile photo of mauriemaurie
    @maurie

Hi Luke the company I work for sells steel sheds. I look after the industrial and self-storage department. It would be inappropriate for me to flog my ware on this web site, but if you call me in business hours on 1800 427 185 I will be able to give some info about the buildings.
    Maurie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.