All Topics / Help Needed! / Negative comments.. SO FUSTRATING!

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

Why is it that when i speak to people about property investing the all tell me the same thing.
    “why do you want so much” “your going to have kids soon” “dont bite off more than you can chew” “concentrate on making a family” “why cant you be happy the way you are”

These are the comments that really make my blood boil. I already suffer from analysis paralysis, and then to hear all this really puts me on my butt back to square one.

Does anyone else get this sort of feedback when talking to others about property investing ? Im sure im not the only one.

just having one of those days [grrr]

“It’s not how much money you make, It’s how you spend it that matters.”

Aspiring property developer

Giulio Taranto

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

Hey….. It is normally people that care about you and think they are doing you a favour by trying to protect you from something that baffles them. Normal behaviour I am afraid. Similar to “Tall Poppy Syndrome” – As soon as someone climbs up out of the rat race… they are promptly attacked by those that are jeolous and hard done by…..
    We need to rise above all the mediocrity and stick to the game plan…. after all it is better to try and fail than to never try at all.
    Cheers
    Kiwi

Profile photo of vernonvernon
    @vernon

Don’t worry, many of the people I assume are either:

1) Not truely aware of your purpose and goals in life or

2) Judge you accroding to the way THEY see the world…or

3) Too scared themselves to take the leap so wonder why other would want to… [biggrin]

Profile photo of NATS12NATS12
    @nats12

Propery Passion, i can relate to exactly the same circumstance.

we are currently looking to buy and subdivide, so this will be our first development. We are pretty switched on and have been researching etc and also have people around us that have done this sort of thing before. So, with some hard work we’ll be on our way to more developments in the future. However I have had the same thing happen like advice to just buy an investment, put a tenant in it and let it sit. to me, this is pointless and adds no value and no real challenge. the whole point of my project is to add value to a property as well as build a new one at cost.

there are a couple of reasons I see this happening:

1. they don’t want to see anything bad happen and see that there is risk involved with what we are trying to achieve

2. they are jealous that they don’t have the willingness to pursue such a project, and probably not the finance either

these are the only 2 reasons i really see.

how to overcome it – i don’t know. i’m still working through that, though i think the best way is if speaking to these type of people about the topic of your project, you speak to them like it’s happening regardless of what they say. they will be less likely to offer negative feedback.

on the other hand, we also have people (though fewer) who fully support what we are doing and can see where we are trying to get to. and i must say, those people tend to be more financially secure and managed risks well in the past.

Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

well im glad to see that im not the only one going through this, makes me feel a little better.

your correct in saying that the people that are saying these things are the ones that care. Which makes it a little harder to shrug the comments off.

i guess i have to look past that and say to myself that just because they dont have the willingness to go after such a project, doesnt mean it cant be done.

Giulio Taranto

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

yes, get these all the time. I recently put up a post like this one only to find out that everyone is in the same boat.

One thing that stuck in my mind that someone replied was that being poor is a state of mind and nothing to do with money. People with a “poor” state of mind cannot understand that not wanting to work in a job is not a selfish thing but a great thing to do.

When people tell me that all I do is chase money, I ask them if they work for free. Then I tell them, well at least I dont take time away from my kids for 40 hours a week just to work for money. I make money work for me and buy time to spend with my kids.

That usually shuts them up!!!!!

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Thanks![suave2]
    F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of voigtstrvoigtstr
    @voigtstr
    Originally posted by foundation:

Originally posted by Christian:

check out http://webpage.colmkille.hop.clickbank.net

Given that your only purpose here appears to be to gain monies by promoting that link, I’d ask you to either:
    a) Link directly to the site (don’t try to get people to go through your PAY-PER-CLICK site)
    b) Stop spruiking this useless crap
    c) ***-off out of here.
    F.[cowboy2]

Crikey!
    Christian was a bit over keen to sell me some property investing CD’s in another thread, but I notice with interest that he didnt include his sig in this thread. My take is that he is offering genuine advice in this thread without the alterior motive of profiting from cd sales. Kudos.

To Property Passion: My partner and I have not yet really started our journey, we intend to buy a ppor but tidy it up over the 6 months that we live there (FHOG rules) and then look at options after that for our first IP, perhaps even going back to renting in a place whilst selling the first house or rent it out. But so far our friends havent said anything negative about our plans. My Brother and father both think there isnt much in the way of affordable property in Geelong where they live, but since they arent as motivated to look as I am I dont put too much weight on their opinions with regard to property. There are probably reasonable opportunities for rentals for units for example in Geelong.

I guess its like advice from anyone, you need to factor in their experience and motivation before weighting their advice.

More stuff on the voigtstr at http://users.bigpond.net.au/voigtstr

Profile photo of mrpropertymrproperty
    @mrproperty

dont take financial advice from poor people

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi PP,

People are afraid of what they don’t understand and others are just afraid!!!

Get out there and make some deals and build your confidence. Don’t talk to those people again about it and pretty soon they will be asking you how you did it.

Good Luck

[email protected] – Experienced investors living in NZ who can find properties to meet your needs! Email us to receive details of upcoming deals.
    Project management also available – finding solutions for problem properties! We can manage your renovation project for you.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

Hi PP

It was nice to catch up with you the other night, we have talked about this subject before and I know that it is difficult but when around people that are negative to theses things it is better to not talk about the subject.
    I only know this to well, I have to hold myself back some times because I want all my family and friends to be able to do what I am doing, but they are just not interested.It frustrates me so much. Thats why it is so good to be able to catch up with people that you dont even know but share the same interests , just talk about what you are doing and share ideas.
    I have no dout that you will be so successful in your first developement project and in investing in general, keep up the good work.

Cheers Rick

Monopoly, my favourite game

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Hey Christian

I’m sure you can still put a link as your signature..If anyone curious, they can investigate??

As for people being negative..just the opposite, I find people are “interested” in learning how to invest and get ahead?

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

sometimes you just feel the need to talk about your plans, for the simple reason to get them off your chest. BIG mistake! never again will i do that with people that know two hoots about investing. They mean well but in the end just dont understand what im trying to do, or why i’d be wanting to do it. Great advice guys. thankyou for the input.

Giulio Taranto

Profile photo of munjymunjy
    @munjy

I’m not so sure if talking ONLY to people who are rich/successful is the right thing to do. Often when talking to people who may not be rich/successful, you see where they have attempted and failed. This can also be a lesson in itself. Or where they have had regrets in the past.

It’s all about filtering what you receive. If your nearest and dearest have never invested in property, don’t listen. If they’ve lost/made money in property, consider and digest what experience they do have.

Not sure how many people have my philosophy, but I’m sticking to it!

Munjy

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi Property Passion
    couple of things
    1.Put people around you that will have the drive to get to where they want to be(not only in real estate)
    2.learn ( not easy but true)(on the subject that you want to be the best at)(real estate)(read posts here, and on as many boards as possible)
    3.enrol to be a broker, builder or real estate agent its cheap and will give you a very informed view of the process of each institution.
    4. sorry but halit your post dont take financial advice from poor people is wrong take advice from the paperboy, just use the advice once you agree with it never dismiss any advice.( advice is cheap it cost you nothing, to act or not act can be very expensive)
    5. don’t run until you can walk or you will fall over.
    6. the last but most important is this planet is made up of 14 billion people you will find knockers everywhere you go thats why I make things happen and swim outside the waves.
    7. you are making things work just read the post gone before and most important believe in yourself at the end of the day my whole operation is beleiving in me so you beleive in you,
    8,guru stands for g u r u and u are u

here to help

Profile photo of markpatrickmarkpatrick
    @markpatrick

It`s simple, don`t tell them!.

Theres is two sides to a coin.

I`ve seen someone full of beans, connecting with the so called “right people”, lose the lot!, do you think there high flying friends give a damn?, you need to ask yourself which ones do.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Property Passion,

I usually run ideas by my family, my ex- who is also involved in property, and a couple of close friends. I like hearing the ideas of people who know me well. Those people are not merely interested in the numbers- they are also interested in *me*. If I ewanted mere affirmations, I would be able to find plenty of them- sure, why not go for 105% loan- together with LMI… but really, that isn’t my risk profile. So I ask others about their thoughts. I think if we don’t want to hear the responses, we may as well not ask the question. I also think that the only way that some people- non-investors- perhaps family members, will feel comfortable with our plans, is to see something work out.

I think about my mother, for example- she’s 78, and doesn’t want me to be in strife. Investing involves a lot of money, and the numbers do her head in. So I have a choice- either not tell her what I’m planning, or tell her, and then listen to her misgivings. I’m ok with the latter- she’s entitled to her view, and she cares about me. There are other people I speak to who are more financially savvy than mum, and they might critique the numbers- that’s ok too. I don’t think all people who have a cautious approach are “jealous”. Some just care.

If you need affirmation, there will be plenty of people around who can give it to you, or give you their own opinion. Real estate is a numbers game. It would be a pity if we think someone is making a mistake- particularly those we care about, and not be able to express our caution. Also, people who know others well might express their worry about their strategies because they may have seen them make mistakes in the past and lose their money- perhaps their family’s money too. What about those people who spent 50k on Henry Kaye’s seminars? It would worry me sick if I saw someone I care about spend all their money on the latest get rich quick scheme.

Not all criticism is bad. Sometimes we need it to get grounded again. You can take other’s opinions or dismiss them- but surely it depends on who is giving it, and their motivations for their opinion?

kay henry

Profile photo of markpatrickmarkpatrick
    @markpatrick

That`s right, all this positive attitude stuff is great, but it is not negative in the least to question something, in fact it must be one of the most important aspects of life, it would be ridiculous to act positively to every situation you are presented with without questioning it, the only ones who push this are the ones with a dream to sell.
    They have a magic answer for everything, just like the “if you work for a living you are dumb and/or worthless” crowd, or the “anyone can be financially free” crowd, this is not only improbable, but impossible and in fact does a lot more harm than good imo and is equal to any negative comment or thought I ever heard.
    If you want something it`s hard work, don`t expect smooth sailing and don`t misjudge a friend because they appear negative, but be strong enough to dismiss it after giving it a fair hearing.
    They may truly be looking out for your best interests………. and may even be right.

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

I take a kind of perverse pleasure when people just don’t get the property investing thing. When I get a negative comment I realise that there is one less person to compete with when trying to buy decent properties!

Apart from that, I surround myself with people who are positive about investing.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of jkmtjkmt
    @jkmt

I agree, weigh up all comments on their merits. I’m still thankful for the “negative” comments of relatives who put me off investing in a timeshare unit when I was 20. Yet at the time, I resented what I saw as their lack of support.
    However in general, I have found that those who used to be critical of our approach now hold their tongues and even respect us because they see that we have done OK through some of the not-so-conventional investment choices we have. Their attitude is ‘well it’s not for me, but if it works for you …’ That’s OK by me.
    Jenny

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.