All Topics / General Property / Baker finally learns how to get his dough right.

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of The Wild OneThe Wild One
    @the-wild-one

Hello I’m John

I’m a 42 year old Baker on a low to medium income and Married with two teenage kids.
    A couple of months ago I just purchased my 7th. Property.
    Some readers on the forum have ask me how did I get to where I am now . Well here is my story and I’ll try and keep it short.

When I was a single fella back in 1983 I bought a block of land in Rosebud Victoria for $8,000. Twelve months later I sold that block for $13,500 and bought a real nice car. This was my first mistake. I kept that XD Falcon for about fifteen years and sold it to the wreckers for $450 bucks.
    The reason why I’m telling you this is because when I got rid of my XD, my old block of land was worth about $90,000. So if I had of kept my land I would have $90k instead of $450, I still shake my head to this day.

My wife and I move to Daisy Hill in Queensland in 1987 and bought a block of land and build a nice house on it for a total cost of $53,000.
    In Five years the house had more than doubled, and in 1992 we sold it for $118,000,
    We then bought another block and built a house for a total cost of $140,000. We had a mortgage back then for $80,000.
    For the next ten years nothing much changed. We had our kids starting school, our cars were always breaking down, lots of bills , I worked 6 days a week and if Sundays were offered I’d work them too. We were pretty much just making ends meat. I can remember reading my first finance book around about then which mentioned the ten rules family’s should never break, and the one that I remember the clearest was don’t buy to big of a house.
    I occasionally started to read more finance stuff, shares, property, investments.
    In 1999 we had to borrow some money for a better car so the bank had our house revalued. Which came in at $280,000.

I continued to read more, I got books from the library , second hand shops and even found stuff on video. By this time it was early 2003 and the property boom was all the talk. I kept reading the papers every week and noticed that some properties had increased by $10 s of thousands. I concentrated on the bottom quarter of the market particularly townhouses. It came clear to me that if I didn’t get one soon I would probably end up paying to much.

I decided to refinance our mortgage to a LOC and take out another LOC to the value of $100,000.
    I quit my current job and looked for something that would give me more free time. What I did was very risky but I was sick of the way our lives were going. My wife had a part time job then which helped pay the bills. I found lots of properties that fit my criteria, but by the time I could look at them they were sold. Fortunately an agent rang me about a low set villa in Loganlea asking price $78,000. I offered $75,000 cash and the deal was done. After settlement I got a tenant in there that was happy to pay $145 a week and the same tenant is still there today now paying $160 a week.

I read that some investors get nervous around this time, but I was the happiest I had been in years. I didn’t do much over the next few months until I read an advertisement about a town house for sale, just for fun my father and I went and had a look. Well we were impressed, so I made an offer for $107,000 subject to financé and building .I Gave all my figures and the contract to the bank and it was approved a couple of days later. While doing the final inspection before hand over, I noticed that there was a new for sale sign out the front of the complex. I made some inquiries and this one was even cheaper, so I offered $103,500. The next day the agent rings me to tell me it has been accepted. I was absolutely amazed when the bank just added this new one onto the previous one which had only just settled.
    I well and truly had the bug by this stage, I kept on reading anything I could get my hands on, and talked to any body that would listen. In march 2004 my wife and I where out shopping when we walk past an agents window and noticed another townhouse for sale for $110,000. We made an appointment to inspect it the next day. We ended up purchasing it for $108,000, but the bank had to revalue our house again. This time the value was $380,000, that’s up $100,000 more on the valuation of $280,000 so the loan was approved. I’m currently getting $180 a week for this new one, and all our other three investments are also positive cash flow.

I continued to look for properties just for fun. But in September 2004 I seen an add for a duplex for $142,000 I went and had a look and took my property manager with me. We both agreed it was a beauty and would rent out very easily . So I made an offer of $134,000 and it to was accepted. Contracts were drawn up, but the bank that had been so kind to me refused my application and I thought that was it. The next day I remembered reading not to be discouraged by the banks and to treat them like shoe shops, so I did . I still had my first property that I paid cash for and it was unencumbered and was now worth $110,000 up $35,000. So with this in my hand I went to a mortgage broker who told me almost straight away this should be easy, and two weeks later the property went unconditional. The new bank not only gave me finance for the new property but also a LOC for $55,000 because I was giving them two properties. I continued to keep an eye on the market when I found a three bedroom house for $175,000, I made an offer for $168,000 and contracts were drawn up for my sixth investment property. I used mortgage insurance with this one so that I wouldn’t have to use to much of my $55,000.

My investment portfolio is still at it’s infant stage but here is a tally of the figures.

Value…$854,000
    Loan….$744,000
    Rent………1,075.wkly.

My tips: The best time to buy, is as soon as you can afford too.
    Keep a close watch on your equity and use that for your next deposit.
    Don’t be afraid to use mortgage insurance, you may be able to buy that extra property.
    I buy 10 to 12 year old properties that need painting, carpet, and may be a little paveing.

I Hope you enjoyed my story .Please feel free to talk to me as I have lots of other stuff that I haven’t mentioned.

Thanks John.

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Sorry John but I read your story as the first page of a 10 page cautionary tale.

One of my reasons is that you seem oblivious to the fact that you have turned over $200k of realiseable equity into $110k in 5 short years. If we subtract selling costs it’s probably more like $190k vs $20k. This has been the biggest asset price boom in many decades and you have managed to LOSE more than half your equity, at the same time massively increased your risk exposure by turning your <30% LVR into >85% LVR. Wow.

No?

Regards, F. [cowboy2]

Profile photo of The Wild OneThe Wild One
    @the-wild-one

Dear foundation thanks for your comments.

If you read the tally it’s only of my investments and it does not include my
    home worth $400,000.
    If I was to include my home as well the tally would look like this:

Value..1,254,000
    Loan…..820,000
    rent…….1,075.wkly
    LVR…….65 %
    This may not be WOW WEE stuff, but concidering the basic wage of a baker is about 31,000 pa.

I appreciate everybodies comments even if they are negative.
    Thanks John.

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

…That’s… much better! 65% LVR is just about conservative![guilty]

F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

Hi John,

Well just goes to show knowledge + doing it + equity growth = success. Congratulations.

Where do you see your next buy (bakers delight)?

hrm

Profile photo of toni89toni89
    @toni89

Congratulations John
    I found your story to be inspiring.
    Keep it up!
    cheers
    Toni

Profile photo of melbdude26melbdude26
    @melbdude26

That is an inspiring story John. Well done!!!!!!

Profile photo of Oxygen FundingOxygen Funding
    @oxygen-funding

so nice to see real people actually achieving like you have – congrats!

Get your money working for you instead of a bank! You could earn up to 3% PER MONTH on your money. Ask me how!

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Hello John

Just read your story. Congratulations on the properties. Well done.

Shawn

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.