All Topics / Help Needed! / PROTECTION FOR MY COMPUTER – HELP!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

I am getting a notice that my F-Secure is about to run out. I don’t know where I got F-Secure from – it just seemed to be on the computer when we got it. I have the option of paying for continuing cover, but have read that the free systems are just as good as the expensive ones.

Could someone please tell me just what I need to protect my computer. I run Windows XP on cable broadband in Brisbane. Is there one product that does everything or do I need to get a firewall (I think I have one with XP?), virus and whatever else?

I am a bit lost and my oldest boy just tells me to “buy one – don’t be so cheap”. It is not just the money issue, I really don’t know what to buy, or if I need to buy at all, if the freebies do the same job.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Wylie.

Profile photo of JasonKJasonK
    @jasonk

The following are all FREE :)

windows xp comes with a firewall as long as you have Service Pack 2 installed…if not get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

second, you can install a free virus scanner provided it is for home use from this website
    http://www.avast.com/

third, install microsofts antispyware from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

run scans after they are installed

hope this helps,
    Christian

you can unistall f-secure after all this is installed. There website is http://www.f-secure.com/ but you have to pay for it if you want to use their stuff…the free virus scanner above will do the job for you.

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the help. I will try these freebies. Is there anything else I need. I have heard Ray Shaw (ABC radio computer guru?) talk about Kerio being a good freeby but I think it might be a spyware product and if so, I assume it does the same thing as one of the products you already recommended. I assume as you have recommended them you probably use them.

I find it quite difficult doing this as many times it is assumed I actually know my way around my computer – HA! HA!

I reapply appreciate the help.

Thanks, Wylie

Profile photo of flashflash
    @flash

Hi there,

Have tried free systems but they havent worked,even
    Mcafee i have had problems with.
    They are able to over write these easily.

We are currently using Panda anti virus platinum which
    is approx $70 yearly,wouldn’t use anthing else.
    I don’t like Norton either.

Cheers.

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Go to Altalavista.com and download a file “securing your home computer.”

This will take you step by step through all your computer settings to maximise your protection.

It will also recommend that you get

ANTIVIRUS program
    Firewall program (the default windows one is crap)
    Spyware program
    Anti adware and popups blocker
    Trojan Killer (only way to stop trojans and worms.

I managed to get all of these without spending a cent.

Tell your oldest boy that he can pay for it out of his money the little smarty punk.

It is much more important to become fully aware of how to protect your computer rather than just throw money at a antivirus program. Which will still leave many holes in your computers security anyway. If you only have an antivirus program and the windows firewall ………….have a good look at yourself.

If your computer and the ability for hackers to crash your system or worse STEAL ALL OF YOUR IDENTITY INFORMATION and then defraud you out of everything you own and some things you don’t, doesn’t wake you up, then you are a goner in waiting.

You would be surprised at what a good hacker can do.

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Hi LifeX,

Had a laugh at your comment about my oldest boy. He can be a smart little punk but he is pretty good generally. He just loves spending money (other than his own, that is).

I had heard that the Windows firewall was not very good and we are (at the moment) well covered. It is just that whatever is on my computer is about to finish and I either have to pay to have it continue or find some freebies. I’ve been told some of the freebies are just as good as the bought ones, hence my question.

I have heard Adaware and Kerio are good but I am a computer dummy really and most people who are computer literate speak in double dutch.

I have no problems now and we are always getting messages about things it has picked up so I feel quite confident now, just not so confident when it runs out.

I totally agree that if we did nothing to protect ourselves we would be stupid. That is why I am getting in now to make sure I do not have even a day without protection.

Appreciate your thoughts, Wylie.

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

FIREWALL – try zonealarm (14 day full version free trial than back to basic protection. Pretty good. kerio good too.

AVG – I’ve heard are a good free antivirus.

Spybot and/or adaware are good free spyware

A2 is a good trojan and worm killer

All Free.

have fun

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of voigtstrvoigtstr
    @voigtstr

If you are happy to pay for anti-virus then mcafee virus scan online is pretty easy to install and maintain. I have that for 32bit windows XP. For my 64 bit windows XP partition I’m using avast (mcafee doesnt work in 64 bit windows they better fix that before the next version of windows comes out).

Zone Alarm is a good software firewall.

Spybot or Adaware are good for getting rid of Trojans.

More stuff on the voigtstr at http://users.bigpond.net.au/voigtstr

Profile photo of shake-the-diseaseshake-the-disease
    @shake-the-disease
    Originally posted by lifeX:

ANTIVIRUS program
    Spyware program

Or buy a Mac Mini for less than $1,000. Not only do you not need to worry about any of that crap (except firewall which is included and is good), but you get a really nice stable computer & ad free computer that gets out of your way and lets you do what you want to do.

I know I sound like an ad for apple, but hey, I like their products.

@voigtstr
    Originally posted by shake-the-disease:

Originally posted by lifeX:

ANTIVIRUS program
    Spyware program

Or buy a Mac Mini for less than $1,000. Not only do you not need to worry about any of that crap (except firewall which is included and is good), but you get a really nice stable computer & ad free computer that gets out of your way and lets you do what you want to do.

I know I sound like an ad for apple, but hey, I like their products.

You still need an antivirus product for macs (yes some virus’s target macs), fortunately I think iLife comes with an antivirus product.

Macs look awesome, but I dont believe they are very upgradeable.

I recently spent 2800 on a rather nice AMD 4000+ Sli graphics beast with 2 gig of ram. (put together myself) I can at least continually upgrade as technologoy comes outs (even replace the main board if I wanted to). With Macs you would have to buy a whole new unit wouldnt you?

@shake-the-disease
    You still need an antivirus product for macs (yes some virus’s target macs), fortunately I think iLife comes with an antivirus product.

Macs look awesome, but I dont believe they are very upgradeable.

I recently spent 2800 on a rather nice AMD 4000+ Sli graphics beast with 2 gig of ram. (put together myself) I can at least continually upgrade as technologoy comes outs (even replace the main board if I wanted to). With Macs you would have to buy a whole new unit wouldnt you?

It’s a myth that Macs need anti-virus software, they don’t. iLife doesn’t have anti-virus software.

Sounds like a nice PC you put together.

PowerMacs are fully upgradable, the others aren’t except for RAM. Doesn’t bother me, as an example I still have a 4 year old laptop that runs all the latest software with ease, each OS X release has been faster than the previous. This is a nice change from the bloat of windows, I bet not too many 4 year old PC Laptops could claim the same.

Profile photo of ptdeeptdee
    @ptdee

Another good anti-virus out there is Kaspersky (Kaspersky.com) as it uses less resources on your system and updates little patches hourly. If you’re running broadband, log into the router and switch on the firewall there as well.

PT

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi all
    outside the square again.
    I have been having alot of computer problems with our network and a computer friend told me to change over my main frame to a macintosh(apple) reason the little virus makers don’t make them for macs hence you can’t buy a mac version of any of the anti virus programme.
    interesting its demand and supply, no demand no programmes.
    hence I’m in the middle of changing over a couple of our computers from this reason.

here to help

@voigtstr
    Originally posted by grossrealisation:

hi all
    outside the square again.
    I have been having alot of computer problems with our network and a computer friend told me to change over my main frame to a macintosh(apple) reason the little virus makers don’t make them for macs hence you can’t buy a mac version of any of the anti virus programme.
    interesting its demand and supply, no demand no programmes.
    hence I’m in the middle of changing over a couple of our computers from this reason.

here to help

from: http://www.apple.com/au/business/basics/datanetwork.html

Apple .Mac (Backup and Virex)
    Protect your company’s most valuable data with a .Mac subscription. You’ll get access to Apple Backup software, providing your business with scheduled online data backups of your important files. You’ll also receive antivirus software to automatically shield your Mac systems from thousands of viruses. Subscribe to .Mac today, and you’ll get both these applications and more.

@shake-the-disease

Yes there are antivirus programs. No there are no OS X viruses. Why so? Companies are not producing products for the public good, they have an obligation to their shareholders to make profits, even if that means selling useless products.

Fact: in the 5 years that OS X has been out, there has not been a single OSX virus “in the wild”. It is bizaar how some windows users get all riled up on this point. It is fact, accept it and move on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.