All Topics / Opinionated! / Have you got plans for your death

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of elbowselbows
    @elbows

My father recently died after suffering a stroke. He hung in there for a week after the stroke
    but left my family and me with a major moral delema. My Dad could not speak and for various other reasons the doctors stated from the start that it did not look good and they did not expect him to recover. They asked questions like do you want him resusatated if there are further problems. We had no idea and we had not discussed this with dad either. I know this has nothing to do with IP but I recommend to everyone to find out this info from their loved ones. It may help you if you find yourself in the same position as me. It has been a tough week.

IT’S ALL GOOD.

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Dear elbows,
    My thoughts go out to you and your family.
    Kind regards,
    Gatsby.

“Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is often the best thing to do.”

Profile photo of StarglowStarglow
    @starglow

Hi Elbows

I’m with you there. When my mum had a severe stroke, we knew that she’d be really upset if she were revived and ended up in a body that had completely broken down. Even then, it was heartbreaking to decide on a Do Not Resuscitate order.

It is possible to prepare a medical power of attorney to specify conditions for a DNR order, organ donation, etc. This relieves loved ones of further responsibilities for painful decisions at an already distressing time.

Interestingly enough, it was a financial planner who discussed this with me as part of investing and estate planning. So it does have something to do with IP.

May peace be with you.

Starglow

Profile photo of elbowselbows
    @elbows

Thankyou for your kind words. You don’t realise how painful those decisions are until you are asked to make them.

IT’S ALL GOOD.

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

I hope you are coping ok, stick in there!

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of Jenny1Jenny1
    @jenny1

Dear elbows

let the love of family and friends surround you always in your time of need.

Thank you for your thought provoking post.

Take care of yourself

Jenny1

Profile photo of quigglesquiggles
    @quiggles

Dear elbows

I can’t imagine how hard that must have been, let alone how you must feel.

My (US) lawyer insisted that my wife and I decide the issue as part of estate planning so we have formal DNR orders for ourselves and as instructions to whoever may become responsible for us.

Congrats for having the courage to start this thread.

Profile photo of j4smythej4smythe
    @j4smythe

my thoughts are with you elbows,
    my story is to long to say,…mum passed with lung cancer and told us what she wanted, the palative care people spoke of dignity in passing, as is dignity in life…my dad had dementia and we didn’t plan, there was supossed to be trust in a family. i took care of both my parents with my life on hold while my sibling went on with thiers, i got badly betrayed and it may have cost me my financial future……we owe the financial planning,the making of a will and the business asscociated with ones passing, to be done before we can’t do it for ourselves, we owe this to our children and our loved ones. the tragedy is not in the dying as in the leaving of so much undone

my kind thoughts to you and your family

@elbows

Thanks j4smyth

IT’S ALL GOOD.

Profile photo of Oxygen FundingOxygen Funding
    @oxygen-funding

Hi Elbows,

I know exactly how you feel. 5 years ago my dad had a massive stroke and I was asked the very same question, immediately I said yes as I knew he wouldn’t want it any other way, and then thought OMG what have I just said? But I went with my head and what I knew my dad would want – he’s now in a nursing home existing, my mother also died of cancer 2 weeks after that and Im the only child! My dad set up a Power of Attorney when he did his will, so I was able to manage his affairs. Chin up, I can’t say things get better, but it gets easier to cope with as time goes on.
    Best Wishes.

Get your money working for you instead of a bank! You could earn up to 3% PER MONTH on your money. Ask me how!

@elbows

Thanks O2.

IT’S ALL GOOD.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.