All Topics / Value Adding / choosing architect

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

Hey all,

ive been talking to a bunch of architects, about building a unit behind my existing home, started geeting some written quotes and they have been anything from 12k-15k before GST. Ive been talking to one in particular, he seems to be the most helpful. He has given me a list of references and has been in pole position untill he gave me a quote. He has quoted me $13,500. He isnt the cheapest i have found, yet again he isnt the most expensive.

My wife and i feel most comfortable with this architect, as he genuinely seems to be a great person and has been recomended to me by a REA ive known for a while. Do you think it being my first time building a unit it would be worth paying that little bit extra, as im sure he would be the type to be as helpful as posible ?

your opinions please.
    [biggrin]

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

Tell him

That you have had a couple of other quotes , and that he is a little high but you want to use him if he can match one of your other quotes. You will find that most people can move on there price if you put it to them nicely.
    Let him know how much he is out by and ask him to match the price. If he says no I cant do any beter tell him you will have to get back to him. Ring him a couple of days later and see if he can come back in between his price and your other quote.
    Just play the game till you get him around the price that you feel is right.

Cheers Rick

Monopoly, my favourite game

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

ARchitects fees are not an area to skimp on.

I’m sure you’ve driven past lots of new properties that are drab and boring.

You would have also seen some properties that catch you eye and are appealing.

A good architect can add much more value to yor project than what he costs.

The fact that you fell good with the architect is important. trust your gut feelings.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

yeah, im going to stick with him, he seems that he will do a good job, and have seen some of his work which has impressed me.

thanks for the advice people

@rikky

I agree with Micheal if you have an architect that is good they can add a lot of value to the job. Be carefull that there design isnt to over the top for the area causing you to have expensive building costs (over captalizing for the area).
    I would still see if they can do a better price.

Cheers Rick

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi property passion
    The best way to price it is first get a couple of prices see there work and then which ever you think will do the best looking project for the best possible build price is the way to go.
    Remember the value is in the gross not in the start.
    Are you fix pricing the build deal or build yours self (yourself is the most risky but can and usually is the most profitable unless costs blow out) (thats the fun bit)

here to help

@property-passion

im thinking about doing it myself, not sure if i will be able to as the bank has made it clear that its a little harder to get a loan when your an owner builder, but yes its something i am considering. Not 100% sure which way to go yet. Need to get the drawings and permits done first i guess.

@rikky

Property Passion

The esay way to finnace owner builder, is to get a line of credit facility on your property for as much as possible if this money will do half the project then start the project. Once you run out of money get the banks to revalue the hole job , by that timr there will be a lot of value added and providing you can afford the payments the bank “in my opioin” ( I say this because there are to many political correct people on this forum that will put there 2 bob in) the bank will give you the money.
    I have done a few like this and it always worked for me . Sure there is the chance that your bank wont want to do it but there are plenty of banks that will refinnace to get the business.
    The nat has always been good to me for these types of projects.

Cheers Rick

@property-passion

thanks for the input Rick, will keep that in mind

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.