All Topics / Help Needed! / Property Managers in Perth

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of purpleblondiepurpleblondie
    @purpleblondie

Hi folks,

had the misfortune to have signed up with a very inept property manager, and am locked into a contract for the next 8 months. Due to total mismanagement, the property went from being immaculate to needing a total reno, over a period of 12 months. Anyone recommend a good PM in Perth? What advice on what to look for in a PM? Is there any way of getting out of a contract when the PM obviously has not done her job properly??

Annette

Profile photo of zucanzucan
    @zucan

Hi PurpleBlondie,
    You have to be really careful in Perth for good PM’s. My wife is a PM and she often tells me how she can’t believe how young and inexperienced PM’s are here. There is a severe shortage of good PM’s thats for sure. I happen to know that RE’s in Perth just can’t find good ones. For a 5 day course too, they leave and can earn seriously good money. My wife is back tomorrow from a PM meeting in Sydney, if you’re interested in some free advice PM me and I’ll ask her to respond tomorrow night.
    Good Luck,
    Zucan

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Hi Annette,

My wife also did the 5 day PM course here at REIWA last year and topped her class with 99.5%. Having sat with her from 3 to 8 in the morning learning all of the regs on exam day…I can guarantee you it ain’t rocket science.

Not to take anything away from the wife, but at 35 and with a tad of prop. knowledge behind her, it wasn’t exactly hard, and competing against 22 and 23 yr old ‘wet behind the ears’ girls wasn’t much to compete against. These are typically who you are handing your IP over to…maybe you copped one of them ‘managing’ your place.

It staggers me how these young girls straight off the street with a 5 day course under their belt and zero experience in both life and property can call themselves a “professional”.

Not sure I agree with Zucan about them earning “seriously good money”…depends on your definition I suppose, but there is a reason why there is a severe shortage. I’d put forward the ol’ ‘meat in the sandwich’ syndrome, along with low pay. Anyway…I digress.

The lecturer of the course was very knowledgeable on all facets of PMing in WA and she’d be worth having a chinwag to. I think her name was Rhonda something from Star Prop. Man. Haven’t actually used them ourselves, but I hear they only do PMing…no sales…which helps them focus.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Anette,
    There is a clause in the management agreement with the agency that lets you get out of the contract.

I do not recall where exactly it is, but it effectively says that if they are not performing their job the landlord can terminate the contract.
    It has a number of clauses which allow either party to terminate, for non performance, by mutual agreement, etc, etc.

Have a read of the management agreement and see if you can find it.
    Otherwise, contact REIWA or REBA and get some information from them.

Profile photo of elviselvis
    @elvis

Anette,
    I was a in a position of receiving very poor quality service from a PM (I’d love to say the name). I would have like to action the clause you mention but really it is your word against the PM’s. They will deny wrong-doing and it will turn into a bum-fight. I would re-write the clause another time to remove any chance of discussion, just simply if a letter is received then its OVER!
    Elvis.

Originally posted by kp:

Anette,
    There is a clause in the management agreement with the agency that lets you get out of the contract.

I do not recall where exactly it is, but it effectively says that if they are not performing their job the landlord can terminate the contract.
    It has a number of clauses which allow either party to terminate, for non performance, by mutual agreement, etc, etc.

Have a read of the management agreement and see if you can find it.
    Otherwise, contact REIWA or REBA and get some information from them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.