All Topics / General Property / Concerns for Buffalo/Rochester

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

Thanks for the advice quiggles. I guess going through these areas isn’t such a great idea. I’ll see if Mike’s free when I’m up there… maybe he can show me around [biggrin]

Regards,
    Ozi

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi guys

re the bad areas of Buffalo. I’ve been there a couple of times the first time was in January when it was freezing cold, and there were not many people about at. On the times i’ve been in them (never at night) what i noticed is.
    1. increasing Mulsim population, which i see as a positive for the area, considering what is there now, drug users etc. Muslims are very clean living people in regards to that sort of stuff. So given time (10 years who knows maybe it will change, maybe not ??)
    2. there are occasionally nice properties, these are owner occupied but usually by poeple who can’t afford the deposit to sell up and move to another area of Buffalo like all their neighbours. But these homes are surrounded by vacant blocks of land (where homes ones stood) and vacant Homes usually boarded up.

Buffalo isn’t different from other large cities of the US. All big cities have their rough areas. Another area that is very poor is Niagra falls. I was there with my family about 8 weeks ago. One day we saw 2 guys having a punch up in their driveway, the next time a few days later my kids made some comments like “can we get out of this poor area” as they could feel the atmosphere. This was after we have been in Halem where we didn’t see a white face for a few Km’s and the kids made no comments. As you can see i don’t just visit the tourist areas when traveling but like to see off the track places. But I’ve never felt unsafe except for times in Niagra Falls (US side) on that occasion i decided to get out of the area.

Ozi i know your not going to buy in the Bad areas, and really there is no need, you can still get great returns in better areas.

regards westan

http://www.nzpropertytogo.com
    check it out !
    Properties in the USA 15-25% returns- email to join our database [email protected]

Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

Hi Westan,

Thanks again for sharing your insight and experience. I think now I have some sort of idea on what to expect while over there, no big shocks.

Thanks to everyone else who has contributed. It has been an interesting read.

Regards,
    Ozi

Profile photo of Dim SimDim Sim
    @dim-sim

If you know Newcastle at all, especially before BHP closed (minus the smoke stacks) not only in look, but attitude of the people, then you have a good representation of Buffalo. Just like people wrote off Newcastle the same is happening with Buffalo. The attitude in Buffalo is changing as it did in Newcastle. Look at Newcastle now.

I know these are gross generalistaions and have no stats to back up, this is just my opinion, I live in Newcastle and have spent a lot of time in Buffalo. I own property there and am just sitting back and waiting for what I believe will be a bright future.

Even the football teams are the same colours.

Profile photo of chrisholt452chrisholt452
    Participant
    @chrisholt452

Ozi
    The figures don’t seem to account for taxes, water usage, etc.
    Teach

Just about to get into P/I in a large way with an aim to early retirement and having fun along the way.

Profile photo of plamprechtplamprecht
    @plamprecht

Hello to all,
    I just like to add that as that as an owner of 5 properties in Buffalo
    for over a year I have a reasonable good idea of the property
    market there. You definetely need to visit the city. I had the luck to get a real estate agent who steered me away from the ghettos, such as the East and West Side. She was happy to point out areas that were looked after, where you could purchase properties from $35,000. There are no complaints with the properties, sure they require more maintenance but the rent easily covers that.
    The only negative is with the property manager who refuses to
    send monthly accounts so I’ll get someone else.

As far as Buffalo itself is concerned, the downtown area is pleasant
    and is being revitilised. There are plans to improver other areas.
    Sure it will take a decade or two, but the city will improve and
    provided you purchase in the better areas you will get both good
    yield and in the future capital gain. So in short I am of the same
    opinion as Dim Sim, the future in Buffalo is bright

Profile photo of AlasdairAlasdair
    Participant
    @alasdair
Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.