All Topics / Legal & Accounting / TAX deductions – comical WATCHDOG claim

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of giddogiddo
    @giddo

Can I claim expenses from owning watchdog in the following circumstances
    1. I live on premises where my income producing properties are located.
    2. Potential guests/customers are coming and going all the time.I have a reception/office area and deal direct with customers.
    3. My dog barks each time someone comes.This is useful.
    4. My dog barks when any stranger enters property.
    5. My dog is not a German sheppard, Pit Bull or guard dog type. She is a sausage dog!!!!

Giddo
    http://www.standrewsplace.com.au

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

What about my dog Rosie?

She shares an office with me, accompanies me to the PO every morning.

Her work ethic is poor though. She sleeps a lot when she should be working and her telephone manner is appalling.

I think if she was an employee she would be out of work!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker

[email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of hellmanhellman
    @hellman

Probably not…

As a watchdog it has to be able to guard property, and really I don’t think a susage dog could do that (for example it couldn’t really chase thieves that well).

However if you did alot of short term accom. then you *might* be able to claim the animal for public relations / marketing. For example if you used the dog on say your web site for accom. to say that your accom. was dog friendly then perhaps. Of course it would really have to be a part of your marketing to qualify.

(For example there was a lady whom ran some accom. near a huge competitive dog showing arena, and her dog was heavly used in the promotion of her biz – website, biz cards, newsletters, etc. In the end she was allowed a tax deduction because of this).

Hellman

Profile photo of giddogiddo
    @giddo

Thanks Hellman,

Our dachshound could chase theives ok but only if they are in the backyard where she is confined.She is fast for only a v short distance though. Come to think of it, that will not work though. She is brave while I am here, but is v quiet and scared if I am away.
    Perhaps she is not cut out to be a watchdog.
    Our accomm is not dog friendly and I do not think it would be worth the trouble now to try to involve the dog in our promo material. I think i will just forget about the tax deduction idea.
    Bur thanks for the informative info about the lady with the accomm near the showdog place.Very interesting, and the idea may come in handy in the future.

Giddo

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi giddo
    first thing is you need to apply the foundation.
    Have a chat with your neighbour get them to put a complaint in with the local police that this is a very violent dog and must be supervised at all times.
    next get a letter from the police for the same.
    next get the dog chipped as a violet and agressive dog and registor it that way( you wouldn’t want this violent dog out on its own)
    next apply as tax deduction as its your guard dog.
    also you should be able to charge for the use of the dog to your company and pay it an income.
    Please do not rely of any of the above as an investment as I’m not supposed to give financial advice.
    and make sure that if I do meet you this violent dog is kept under complete control.

here to help

Profile photo of munjymunjy
    @munjy

I think your dog must also help you fertilise and tend to your garden.

This thread really appeals to my twisted mind.

Munjy

Profile photo of giddogiddo
    @giddo

Munjy, you bet she helps to fertilise the yard! And at home she sits on MY recliner rcker chair.
    But she is a good watchdog (while I am home)

Giddo

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.