All Topics / Help Needed! / Perth – Which Builder to build a new house?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of eecchhooeecchhoo
    Participant
    @eecchhoo

HI all,

I am planning to build a house and have been to the display homes. Most of them looks great.

Is there any recommendation for the builder in Perth in term of The quality of the house, The time for them to build?

Any builder that i need to stay away from?

My price range is up to 130K with 4 Bedrooms, 2 bath rooms.

Thanks all

Willy

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Well, that’s a hard one as builders chagne contractors etc frequently, so what was good once, may not be next time.

However, we used Ross Griffen when we built 5 years ago and they were on time, high quality and good tradsmanship ie: when we got a painter in later to paint he commented that it was the best plaster job he’d seen on the walls for a long itme and consequenlty the quote for painitng was less than normal as not as much preparation work was then required.

Like I said things change often and frequently so all I can say is they were wonderful 5 years ago.

Regards
    PK

Profile photo of eecchhooeecchhoo
    Participant
    @eecchhoo

Thanks PK for the response.

I have search around and asking my friends.
    The most common Builders that they have mentioned are:
    – New Generation
    – Metro Style
    – WA Housing Centre
    – Celebrations
    – Content Living

Any comments on those builders? Bad/Good experience?

Thanks

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi there, similar topic in the “Developing” section.
    Formites recommending Celebration Homes and building within 12 month time frame.

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Celebrations are good for Investors as well I’m lead to believe, with everythin you see is what you get..

If its your PPoR Dale Alcock, Scott Park or Webbm, Brown and Neaves if you have the $

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Participant
    @eecchhoo

I heard that Dale Alcock’s house price is a bit more than my budget which is around $130K

Probably i will ask a quote from Celebration before deciding which one to go with….

Please put more info if anyone has any suggestion/comments.

Thank you.

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

I love the incluisons and packaging of Impressions – corian benchtops, the solar heaters etc. Pity they take so long to (a) draw the plans and (b) ever get them built.

went to a spec home I am doing for a site visit today. geees the building industry is hopeless at the moment… kitchen cupboards are all the completely wrong colour, so they will need to be scrapped and replaced. same as my friend who had the wrong roof tiles put on – poor roofers had to pull them all off and replace them again. Every time they dropped one it went through the ceiling and it had to be repaired. Still I did make the guys rip the entire ceiling out of my 2 storey house, filled about 2 skips with gyproc. then there is the guy who had the slab poured in slightly the wrong location, so they got an angle grinder and cut a bit off one side and added some concrete to the other side. when they cut through on the one side the slab was a grand total of 40mm thick. Ya gotta love building!

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

John Carroll

Participant
    @eecchhoo
    Originally posted by AUSPROP:

I love the incluisons and packaging of Impressions – corian benchtops, the solar heaters etc. Pity they take so long to (a) draw the plans and (b) ever get them built.

went to a spec home I am doing for a site visit today. geees the building industry is hopeless at the moment… kitchen cupboards are all the completely wrong colour, so they will need to be scrapped and replaced. same as my friend who had the wrong roof tiles put on – poor roofers had to pull them all off and replace them again. Every time they dropped one it went through the ceiling and it had to be repaired. Still I did make the guys rip the entire ceiling out of my 2 storey house, filled about 2 skips with gyproc. then there is the guy who had the slab poured in slightly the wrong location, so they got an angle grinder and cut a bit off one side and added some concrete to the other side. when they cut through on the one side the slab was a grand total of 40mm thick. Ya gotta love building!

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

John Carroll

John, Are you and your friend using Celebration as the builder?

Profile photo of leilei
    @lei

Hi have recently built through homestart. I know im an idiot!! however i live in new estate and the best comments and experiences have come from the people who built through Scott Park and Ross North. I know of four other homes in my area that went through homestart and everyone had ligit complaints from wrong tiling in bathrooms to wrong size rooms, delays and customer service Good luck

k

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Hi Ausprop..

Reminds me of a friend whose house was built..

first; the slab was poured in the wrong location (so had tobe ripped up)

second; slab was not correct, dynabolts were at a 50deg angle to get some bite into the concrete

third; metal frames not painted with that tar like substance to protect them when sitting on the concrete (eventually the lime/concrete will eat into the frame-he complained and next day walls were covering it so who knows if it got done)

fourth; they did as you said and *slapped* some concrete on thepad where it was out of whack

fifth; I remember on his housewarming the tiles falling of the kitchen walls..

PS- The property was up North of WA

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of AbbyAbby
    Participant
    @abby

I first built with “The Home Group” – a Scott Park subsiduary with lower prices – in 2001. I was so impressed by the quality/price and their positive attitude and follow-up to fix any …yes any.. problem that occurred that I used them for my next home in 2003/2004, with the same happy outcome. My partner built through them at the same time (we were both building IPs). The slight downside the second time was due to the building boom in Perth so that mine took 14 months and his took 18 months.
    We are due to begin the process again very soon at our next property and we intend going with them again.
    I have used other builders previously so feel I have grounds to compare. Also Scott Park Homes have won Building Industry Customer Awards several years running so others must feel the same way.
    Also, don’t know whether they still do it but so far each time we’ve signed up they’ve delivered flowers and a bottle of wine, and eventually when the keys are handed over they include a basket of goodies (e.g., pasta and sauce, snacks, matches, can opener etc) to get you started!!!
    No, I’m not in any way related to Scott Park or the Home Group, just a very happy customer of theirs.
    Their website addy is http://www.thehomegroup.com.au (which takes you to the Scott Park website).
    Hope that helps
    cheers
    Abby

Participant
    @abby

Further to my last post, I’ve looked into the website I mentioned. It gives info on received awards, and also provides lots of floor plans etc of various house designs. Prices for 4 x 2’s start from just over $100k but I don’t know if that’s up to date. My last one (with changes ) was about $90k, fixed for the whole construction time (14 months) while a friend of mine went with one of the new-start type builders (can’t remember the name) and her house price rose every few months.

Profile photo of meilin08meilin08
    @meilin08

Hi,

Looked at the scott park website – I can’t find any prices on there – could you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Mei-Lin

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Mei-Lin, where are you building? Did you end up purchasing block in Singleton.

Are you overseas, this makes it a little tricky??

Cheers, M[biggrin]

Participant
    @abby

No specific prices on the website – probably because they are subject to change so often these days. But you can get an idea of prices using the awards info ie…2005 MBA award for best home under $110k was the Grand Kimberley, and for $110-$120k was the Grand Inspiration 236.
    Give them a ring and they will send out floor plans and current prices… Paul Hope 6241 4555 (as listed on the website).
    By the way, although my partner didn’t fill in his 6-month maintenance form until a couple of weeks ago (and the house was finished last Sept), they are honouring the maintenance contract anyway. They did the same on mine when I was way overdue too.

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

these prices couldn’t include very much. i think the headline prices like this exclude siteworks and are pretty much a shell of a home. if you want to build a finished 4×2 with double lock up garage as a complete turn key investment you would be looking at $150k – $180k depending on size and fit out e.g items such as air cons, dishwashers, landscaping etc.

http://www.megapropertygroup.com

INVESTMENT SALES * RENTAL SOLUTIONS * STRATA MANAGEMENT

Profile photo of kenkoh2000kenkoh2000
    @kenkoh2000

Dear Mei Lin and EECCHHoo,

1. Depending on your budget and desired house quality finishes and required value for monies, Dale Alcock Homes Pty Ltd, Celebrations Homes Pty Ltd and Homebuyer Centre actually belonged the same boss but catering to the different market segment.

2. Please contact me at [email protected]. My Australian mobile is 0418758123 and my Singapore mobile is 65-90391898.

3. I will be more than happy to speak with you face to face this week if you are in Singapore.

4. Alternatively, if you are in Perth, we can also arrange to meet there as I will be flying out to Perth from 8th Sep 2005 onwards.

5. I’ve built with 3 different builders in WA, namely, Don Russell Homes Pty Ltd, Dale Alcock Homes Pty Ltd and In-Vogue Living Pty Ltd/MetroStyle and can probably share with you my own experiences working with each of them.

6. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

regards,
    Kenneth KOH[cap]

Profile photo of meilin08meilin08
    @meilin08

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for your contact details. Travelling this week. Maybe we can catch up when you get back from Perth.

Mei

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.