All Topics / Help Needed! / Building report

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Dim SimDim Sim
    @dim-sim

Dear All

I am just after some advice. I have purchased a building report that looked satisfactory. As soon as I handed the property over to management I was hit for a bill for incorrect installation of sheeting in the bathroom that was causing mould and black stuff leaking out when the tenant showered etc. Should the building inspector have picked this up, is there any recourse.?
    Thanks for your help

Profile photo of coreyjaycoreyjay
    Participant
    @coreyjay

Hi Pinotcat
    Yes the report should of picked it up and i dont think theres any recourse action you can take most inspectors are “all care taken no responsibility”read your contract.Why did your agent bill you? did you give them permission to do the work

coreyjay

Profile photo of Dim SimDim Sim
    @dim-sim

Sorry I didn’t make myself clear. This is what I am being told it will cost to repair.
    Thanks

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

The Inspector perhaps should have found the problem – but he probably didn’t take several showers and so was not in as good a position as the tenant to find it.

I usually knock on the door and speak to the tenant and neighbours about a potential property purchase – they are usually keen to have a chat I find.

The builder will have disclaimers in his report and I am sure that he did his best – you should speak to him and see if he offers anything to help? Perhaps he can organise a tradesman at an industry rate? I think that you should aim for a win/win solution – not a win/lose one as the builder can easily take no responsibility and ignore you.

At the end of the day the report is just an advisory tool but you made the decision to buy and you need to take the responsibility.

Welcome to the world of IPs!

All the best,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker

[email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.