All Topics / Help Needed! / How far can I stretch it?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of NobleoneNobleone
    @nobleone

Hi All,

Currently have 4 IP’s in NZ bought/owned through a company/trust set-up with myself and wife as directors etc and I was wondering when we fly to and stay in NZ to visit the IP’s can we also claim the cost of taking our 7-year old with us.

Obviously we cant leave him ‘home alone’ and we have no relatives in OZ to look after him.

In the same vein can we also claim the cost of kennelling our dog in OZ for the period we are in NZ?

Cheers, Nobleone. [biggrin]

“Making mistakes is just another another tool for learning.”

Profile photo of gafamagafama
    @gafama

Yep, I think you are stretching it!

You can only claim costs directly incurred with your income producing activities. The fact you have a child that can’t be left at home alone is not the concern of the ATO. I guess their question is why do you both have to go?

Ditto the dog I would think!

Hope this helps.

Megan

http://www.propertyhub.net
    Your Investing and Developing Information Hub.

Profile photo of RhysQLDRhysQLD
    Participant
    @rhysqld

Nonleone,

I think you are pushing the boundries with bringing your child and kennelling your dog, but since you are both directors of your company/trust I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to claim both of your cost involved with inspecting your properties (flights,accomodation etc.).

If you are planning on hitting the ski slopes while you are over there you might want to run it by your accountant to discuss proportioning your costs (business/private).

All the best
    Rhys

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi Nobleone
    you could look at the following
    register your son as promotion manager there is no age limit to employ a director register him as a 1% share.
    Register the dog with the police as a vicious and violent guard dog, the housing of this company gaurd dog is per annum and housed during the day so get a complete housing cost.book the accommadation in nz for the promotion director to meet with potential customers he has asked that the other two director to attend to formalise the agreement that he has negotiated.
    past this by the ato just don’t tell them that I dreamt this up.if this doesn’t work back to no you can’t claim your son or dog accomadation.

here to help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.