All Topics / Opinionated! / What type of vehicle do you have ??

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 456 total)
  • Profile photo of shanemattshanematt
    @shanematt
    Dazzling wrote:
    Thought I'd ask the forum what type of vehicle they drive…maybe in the hope of seeing a wide variety of, and number of vehicles. Dr Stanley of the American "Millionaire next door" series had a great list of cars that the wealthy drive…and it wasn't what you'd expect. So, I may as well start off ; We are a one car family, having bought a '97 bog standard white Holden Commodore sedan last year at the Govt auctions for 12K. My dream car is a beat up F150 with all of the redneck extras like mud tyres and spotties on the roof…now that'd impress the Joneses next door. What about you ?? Cheers, Dazzling "No point having a cake if you can't eat it."

I sold all bad debt items such as our Audi and BMW and bought a 1999 commodore for $6500-. We only have the one car and a scooter.I did this so I can invest more money in property for the next couple of years.This will allow more borrowing power and therefore bigger assets.I see this as a short term sacrifice for much better long term wealth.

Anyway,I love my little scooter and the commodore has heaps more room than the other two combined.

My tactic is definately working as I've been able to make some great buys in Sydney since selling.

Profile photo of BootlaceBootlace
    Participant
    @bootlace

The car i'm currently driving is a 1999 Holden Commodore S Pack factory supercharged.

I saw it advertised on Ebay just after it was listed with a starting price of $1800 and i emailed him hoping his reserve would be around $4500-$5000 but not really expecting it to be…. I then got an email back saying he would sell it today for $1500! I dropped everything and hastily made arrangements to go up and inspect the car, i got there and it was absolutely immaculate besides a tiny amount of the usual paint fade on the spoiler and to top it off, it was a one owner car with full logbooks which wasn't even mentioned in the ad! I did a REVS check and couldn't hand over the money quick enough!

For roadworthy it needed a new steering rack (60000km rack off Ebay for $70) and 2 engine mounts (about $100) and it took about 2 hours of my time to fit. So for just over $2000 including parts, repairs, RWC and rego i got an immaculate 1 owner car that is worth around $8000! ($9500 according to my insurer). Just the engine and box alone are worth around double what i paid for it.

By far my best ever bargain, i just wish property investing was that easy!

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

We had a friend with the uncanny ability to acquire a car, and drive it for a few months or a year and then sell it for a few thousand extra dollars more than he bought it for.  He bought an old Suzuki 4WD short wheel base once and sold it six months later for nearly double what he paid for it after driving it fairly solidly, using it as a hunting vehicle and fitting some new shockies.  The nack though, was to buy a bargain.  He didn't sell overpriced cars, he just bought cheap ones.  I guess the same principle applies to property.  Can't imagine how much he could have made out of property if he used his clever buying in real estate!

Profile photo of LalibellaLalibella
    Participant
    @lalibella

Well ,Ford Phase 4 GTHO Falcon actually. Great to drive to work each day……
    My brother just met a guy who bought one in the seventies for 20K.
    Has sat safely in his garage since then, rarely driven.
    Now worth…..? anyone's guess.
    Google it.

Participant
    @bootlace
    Lalibella wrote:
    Well ,Ford Phase 4 GTHO Falcon actually. Great to drive to work each day……
    My brother just met a guy who bought one in the seventies for 20K.
    Has sat safely in his garage since then, rarely driven.
    Now worth…..? anyone's guess.
    Google it.

Far out, if it's genuine it would be worth well into the 7 figure range given that Phase 3's have gone for high 6 figures, although the muscle car boom is now well and truly behind us.

There were only 4 Phase 4's produced from memory, and only one of them was a production car, the other 3 were race cars. I believe one of the race cars was destroyed leaving only 3. If it's red it will be one of the 2 remaining track cars, the only production P4 was green.

You would have to look into it's authenticity first before you got excited though, there are 10000 mock ups out there and being such a rare example, very few people would be able to label it as authentic without a great deal of research although 20k in the 70's was a substantial sum of money so you would hope that the buyer made sure it was the real deal! I had a mate who had a kitted VL Commodore and got very excited when Walkinshaws started fetching near 100k, an 'expert' had told him that to be a Walkie it simply had to have a Walkinshaw kit on it! And it wasn't even a complete kit! Was red (Walkies only came in Panorama Silver) and get this, it was an auto straight 6! He thought he was going to be rich lol, well i shouldn't laugh but that level of gullibility (is that even a word?) is pretty amusing!

Profile photo of mickjohnmickjohn
    @mickjohn

Had a WRX 3 years ago, insurance as a 21yo was over $3k/yr
    Sold it to help with deposit on first home. Downgraded to a an 89 Mitsubishi Galant. $2500
    Up graded more recently a 95 Mitsubishi FTO(import rice cooker) for 10k.

Personally, Id prefer finance on property rather than finance on a vehicle…. For oh so many reasons.

Sure I dont drive the fastest, newest car and I dont have all the designer funiture. But I do own several properties and i guess thats the sacrifice you make, although its getting easier with lower interest rates.

Its really interesting the feedback about cars. It makes you wonder who is driving those cars on the street?
    Regardless of how successful I am, i dont ever see myself splurging on a car.

Profile photo of LalibellaLalibella
    Participant
    @lalibella

Hi Bootlace, sounds like you know your cars. Yeah 20k back in the seventies was a load of money for a car.  Yes its definitely the real deal as he has had some serious offers but doesn't intend to sell. Very tightly locked away. Would look great in the National Museum. Who would 'nt love to take it for a spin? A few nice videos on You Tube as well. (not his) Thanks for the feedback.

Participant
    @bootlace

I think i'd be too scared to take it for a run, i'd be more than happy enough just to be in the same room  as one!

It would have to be by far the rarest of the old school Aussie cars, and there have been some rare ones… The VL SV F20 (i guess VL's can be called old school now!) had only 4 examples also, 2 that were sold to the public and 2 that were reserved for the HSV execs of the time, but due to it's obscurity and the fact that it never made an appearance on the track hasn't appreciated nearly as much as the GTHO's.

If he owns the green one he would most likely be the only person in Australia who could lay claim to owning the only production vehicle (of any kind) in existance! I did a bit more digging, apparantly there was an unconfirmed offer of $2.5 million on one of the remaining 3 at some stage, which was declined. Perhaps it's the same guy? If not it gives you an indication of what it's worth.

Wonder what other toys he has? I've always dreamed of owning the big 3 Holden Group A cars, the VK, VL and VN SS Group A's, but i'd be happy enough to own even one of them in my lifetime, preferably the blue meanie (VK)!

Profile photo of AzaliaAzalia
    Participant
    @azalia

Great thread! Though it has taken me some time to read through it!

Of all my siblings I was the only one to get my first car myself, each of them (3) were given decent cars bought FOR them. 

My first car was a 1980 Nissan Pulsar Hatch ($700 and hardly road worthy), then a 1997 Ford Laser Hatch (good car, got it cheap, ran well, but no aircon) that Hubby and I shared. Hubby bought a Jeep Wrangler new in 2006 through salary sacrafice.

My dream car had always been a '98 MX-5 convertable. I got that model in the colour I wanted approx 1.5yrs ago and I love it. So fuel efficient and prevents me from buying too much when I go shopping (as the boot is TINY!). Was the car I had to have before we start a family. Funny thing worth a mention is that someone stopped me in a car park last week and made an offer to buy it from me for the same price I paid for it!

Had hubby and I been interested/educated in Property Investing earlier on we probably would still have the Laser only, and have more properties – lesson learned!

But we get good use out of the cars and they give us no trouble so we are not gonna loose sleep over it.

Profile photo of scotto40scotto40
    @scotto40

Great idea for a topic by the person who thought of it four years ago.  We are now a two car family:  A '95 EF Falcon Wagon (8 seater) with about 180K on the clock – bought it for about $4800 five years ago, and might get $4k for it now.  And a '97 Peugeot 306XR hatch that I picked up in January for $2000.  Has about 170k on the clock.  Such a good deal that I had trouble getting it insured 'cause it was so far beneath market value. 

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

That is a very good buy

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko
    Bootlace wrote:
    The car i'm currently driving is a 1999 Holden Commodore S Pack factory supercharged.

I saw it advertised on Ebay just after it was listed with a starting price of $1800 and i emailed him hoping his reserve would be around $4500-$5000 but not really expecting it to be…. I then got an email back saying he would sell it today for $1500! I dropped everything and hastily made arrangements to go up and inspect the car, i got there and it was absolutely immaculate besides a tiny amount of the usual paint fade on the spoiler and to top it off, it was a one owner car with full logbooks which wasn't even mentioned in the ad! I did a REVS check and couldn't hand over the money quick enough!

For roadworthy it needed a new steering rack (60000km rack off Ebay for $70) and 2 engine mounts (about $100) and it took about 2 hours of my time to fit. So for just over $2000 including parts, repairs, RWC and rego i got an immaculate 1 owner car that is worth around $8000! ($9500 according to my insurer). Just the engine and box alone are worth around double what i paid for it.

By far my best ever bargain, i just wish property investing was that easy!

Profile photo of Event HorizonEvent Horizon
    @event-horizon

me…an  68 astin martin db6……….no, not really………  but it is a car with 4 wheels…….its fantastic…. youd love it…

Profile photo of msjacksonmsjackson
    @msjackson

2004 Jeep Cherokee w. leather interior.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Update;

we still own the 1998 Musso and the 2000 Hyundai Accent.

getting closer to buying something newer, but these two are still running well.

Tough one; new(er) car(s), or new investment??

Our mindset is the R.K one; use the pos cashflow from the ivestment to fund the doodad. Our cars would be tax deductible these days as we have a business now, but cars – it's another expense.

Profile photo of Results1Results1
    @results1

well I  have a couple of holdens for work and family purposes but what i really love are my 1976 Triumph bonneville and my 1966 (garage built by myself and friend) custom Triumph Thunderbird. Two wheels makes the world disappear – for a little while  anyway Cool

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I was driving a 1986 Toyota Cressida but it needed the front steering rack replaced $1000 and the Alternator $400 and the rear leaf springs are dicey. So I have $2000 of repairs for a car worth <$1000 So I have just lashed out an got a $5000 car a 1997 Magna while the other work car is a Falcon A series car $10,000. So no BMW however if you were to buy a second hand BMW you could pick on up for <$10,000 and still look like a rich person until someone gets jealous and scratches your BMW or lets all the tyres down. Saw this had been done on a Mercedes however it was a second hand mercedes but the unknown perps probably didn't think of this when they let down the tyres at my local shopping centre.

Profile photo of FinSpecFinSpec
    @finspec

I’m over the whole “my car is flashier than yours” – so I ride a scooter now and pass all the Mercs & Porches on the way into the office while they’re sitting still in traffic :)

Profile photo of James_JohnsonJames_Johnson
    @james_johnson

subaru liberty 2001

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    FinSpec wrote:
    I'm over the whole "my car is flashier than yours" – so I ride a scooter now and pass all the Mercs & Porches on the way into the office while they're sitting still in traffic :)

Even better;

We gave up the commute.

Years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 456 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.