All Topics / Opinionated! / What type of vehicle do you have ??

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 321 through 340 (of 456 total)
  • Profile photo of LucyJinLucyJin
    @lucyjin

I dream of having a car for myself. But you know, I don't have a car.
    My husband has a car. He bought it off from his dad. we pay 200 dollars per fortnight for four years to his dad.
    Of course my husband is the sole driver.  I never get a chance to drive it.

I dream of having an economical Japanese car with all the safety features, so i can travel without my husband!

Profile photo of perpetratorperpetrator
    @perpetrator

OK, apparently I'm the only w*nker.

I have two cars, a 2004 BMW M3 and a 2004 Mini Cooper S. Both of these cars are impractical, uneconomical and depreciating at a ridiculous rate. But you know what? I don't care. The reason I got into business and investing was to provide for myself in retirement and to improve my lifestyle. I have done both.

Profile photo of punjab911punjab911
    @punjab911

Hi all,

I drive a 2006 ford F250, its a company car so personally i dont own any

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

Don't worry, I'm a w*nker too. 
    2008 Nissan STX dual cab utility with canopy, tinted windows, 4WD and chrome bullbar etc.  Looks much like the cars the FBI drive in the movies.   It is 500km to k-mart, and 350km to the nearest McDonalds, so we need a large and reliable car, so when we hit a roo, the roo comes off second best.  Depreciating at a fair rate.  I don't care either.  I want airconditioning, reliability and the ability to crash into things without getting hurt.  Plus it has to fit 3 kids and tow either a horse float, a trailer full of cattle, or a boat down a dirt road. 

Profile photo of jedkajedka
    @jedka

A holiday any day, no way to new car I drive a  Pulsar, best car ever can park anywhere.
    My dad has a nice new merc, can't park anywhere always getting scratched  or dented,  he recons it's been done by jealous people.

I told him to sell it and go on a holiday, all he says is he's had enough holidays in his life time and now wants to drive a nice car what can I say?????

Maybe I'll get it his will, then  sell it and  take that Holiday! He just laughs and says it might be a right off by then…………
    What a wast of money, so I think.

Profile photo of jamie_ajamie_a
    @jamie_a
    perpetrator wrote:
    OK, apparently I'm the only w*nker.

I have two cars, a 2004 BMW M3 and a 2004 Mini Cooper S. Both of these cars are impractical, uneconomical and depreciating at a ridiculous rate. But you know what? I don't care. The reason I got into business and investing was to provide for myself in retirement and to improve my lifestyle. I have done both.

Maybe in about 30 years i'll have the funds to buy an M3 but until then i can always dream! Dad owns a 2003 M5 and in the 5 years he has owned i have driven it the grand total of twice! Not happy lol.

My daily hack is a 1997 EL garden variety Falcon. Bought it off an old guy who had it since new, full service history, still short of 200k and almost 12 months rego for $2400. Was a bargain at the time (about a year ago) and having no experience with Falcons i expected things to start going wrong left right and centre but (touch wood) not a single thing has gone wrong yet, just the usual noisy power steering at full lock but it isn't worth worrying about.

My project is a 2001 HSV VX GTS. I bought it from a damaged vehicle auction about 6 months ago, stolen and recovered. I got it for 12k (they go for 30k plus), ignition was stuffed and needed a new bonnet, quarter panel and front bar  but that was it, everything else is immaculate and had only 75,000km on it. The only problem is sourcing a genuine front bar, plenty of copies but i want to stick to the genuine article. For less than 15k it will be on the road, only problem is because it's been listed as a repairable write off so that stays on record for good reducing it's value a little, but it was still a bargain and at any rate i doubt i'll ever sell!

Profile photo of FergsFergs
    @fergs

1992 Camry, 335,000km original engine…its a gem.
    Im not in the market yet still reading these great posts and researching and saving hard!

Can anyone recommend where to score bargain cars? (2nd hand, I would love another camry soon)

Many thanks,

Fergus

Profile photo of RastussRastuss
    @rastuss

I just drive a 93 nissan patrol but i had to laugh a young bloke at work just married went a got himself a brand new hsv ute at around 70 Grand which he pays $400 aweek on repayments.
    Asked him why he didn't buy a house he said you can't drive a house!

@shales

Fair enough!
    We have a young bloke who sort of works for us sometimes.  He's not even 20, drives an old Landcruiser ute.  Just bought a brand spanking new 5.5 metre plate boat.  He lives 500km from the ocean.  Boat would have cost over $30K.

My sister, mid 20's.  Earning 98K, single, no kids, share appartment in Melbourne.  Wastes all her money on her racing car.  (Proper track racing licence and everything).

Our friend, early 40's, mine employee (or was), redrew the equity on his home as soon as it got to $20K  and bought a Harley Davidson motorcycle. 

Ahh, the boom time stories.

Profile photo of MrleumyMrleumy
    @mrleumy

Well I'm not sure many posters have done this:

Sold my car (for the sake of investing) and now share one with my partner and guess what?? this arrangement actually works.  Initally I never thought it would, but it's fine and we save hundreds a year.  Unfortunatly we went for her car whihc is a corrolla but at least its fuel effiecent.   If you can survive on one car then do it!

Leum

Profile photo of perpetratorperpetrator
    @perpetrator

Everyone has there own individual vices. Fortunately for me I have two, fast cars and property, and the second one pays for the first!

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Perpetrator,

I'm with you on this.  Too many investors appear to be forgetting to enjoy life's little pleasures that property investing can bring. 
    One of my hobbies is cars and especially those that appreciate not depreciate when structured or bought the right way.

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76
    C2 wrote:
    Perpetrator,

I'm with you on this.  Too many investors appear to be forgetting to enjoy life's little pleasures that property investing can bring. 
    One of my hobbies is cars and especially those that appreciate not depreciate when structured or bought the right way.

Your spot on. I just sold my last toy and made over $100,000 profit TAX FREE. You can buy the right car and make money on it. Its hard right now just like property but just remember. Next time people start making capital gains on property. Watch classic cars climb in value also. I will be involved again next time round also.

PS. went for a spin on my ducati 916 today. Loved it.

If people live only for investing and live a poor lifestyle to fund it when they could still enjoy some of the finer things.  Well they have completely missed the point of wealth creation in my view. You are dead a long time people.

@shales

Of course, of course.  I'm a big fan of spending money and enjoying it ;)  All the stories I related above, though, were people who don't have any investments at all.  One of them though, was looking at  a investment property.  They felt very honoured to have been personally contacted by the developer who promised $x rental return, and had lots to say about the growth potential of the region, just sign here……. and they did.  They signed the contract, then decided to exit under the cooling off strategy – phew! 
    S

Profile photo of Michael 888Michael 888
    Participant
    @michael-888
    Rastuss wrote:
    I just drive a 93 nissan patrol but i had to laugh a young bloke at work just married went a got himself a brand new hsv ute at around 70 Grand which he pays $400 aweek on repayments.
    Asked him why he didn't buy a house he said you can't drive a house!

Be grateful for people like that ………..provides for tenant demand. Oustanding, he's probably running 40 profile tyres so that makes it really useful as a work vehicle………hahahaha fantastic.

I haven't posted in this thread yet, so for the record, I'm driving a 9 year old Jeep  Grand Cherokee. Nearly changed over two and a bit years ago, however I bought a block of flats instead so the car lease saving went to funding slight negative gearing. They are now positive cashflow.

I would not be averse to picking up a bargain this year, however……………something like an X-5 or an ML just over two years old but still with a small time left on the new car warranty so I can take up a three year extened warranty on it. I will be greedy however and this purchase will need to be sub-50 K. I might be asking for too much, however corporate softening may see some high level cars going, going, gone. If not, that's OK my current vehicle will keep on Jeepin'on.

As the typical millionaire next door, I am not what I drive. And for the record, there's nothing wrong with driving exotic vehicles as abundance should be about beautiful automobiles also………just don't be caught looking rich, rather than being rich with a decent net worth. 

Some folk have it the wrong way round as they say in Texas, Big Hat…..No Cattle. 

Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

ahahhah sounds like a bloke at work who asked me why  I am driving my friends 20 yr old commodore as my wife has my other old car.  I said I am saving for up for a deposit on another house.  He said why bother,,, I said I want a house for the family now.

He just smirked when I asked him how much he paid for his HSV Ute – $50K…… I thought to myself hmmmm another IP deposit.

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

mmmm you have to have your toys every now and again. got a hsv cluby at the moment but gonna ditch that and get a gto monaro or next model up cluby. but if a good property pops up and i need the cash i will dump the vehicle. will i loose money probaly not. last vehicle owned was a dodge ram 1500 pickup 2004 nice to drive but to big to park and it was the quad cab too.
    best toy i owned was a v8 holden with a blower coming out the bonnet 1987 vl pumping 200 plus kw not bad for an old girl.

Profile photo of LightyrsLightyrs
    @lightyrs

1994 Mitsibishi Magna, just under 300k. Ive just turned 30 and havnt owned a car over 4k. Though that said the old girl is starting to really need attention, i can keep the old ones going for minimal cost but after a while it gets tiring!

Now that i have a partner that isnt so mechanically savy, we are looking at purchasing something realiable and will last. Having peace of mind when she is in the car and not worring if its going to break down would be nice. 

Also going back to what C2 was saying, i have gone all these years as younger bloke watching friends get their nice flash cars and bikes while ive done the investing thing. Now, im a long way off where i would like to be but there must be a quality of life as well, cause not matter how much better off you will be later in years, i wont enjoy it like i would now!

So a new second hand car is in the pipework, not an M3 buit will be new for me! Only thing now i need to crunch figures on is leasing or purchasing. And seeing i love bikes, that wont be too far away either.

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

lightyrs, if you want a good old reliable car get a holden VL 86 87 88 ive owned heaps of them and theres very little that goes wrong with them. if you buy one make sure its of an older guy and its straight. if its beat up then it will give trouble. get the 3 litre there nice to drive

Profile photo of LightyrsLightyrs
    @lightyrs

ahhh the old rb30 strong as an ox. Very true! Havnt owned a vL but have had the skyline model with the same engine. 

Viewing 20 posts - 321 through 340 (of 456 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.