All Topics / Help Needed! / AIr Con Perth

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of thomaspthomasp
    @thomasp

Hi,

We have an IP in Perth where the r/c aircon has packed up. We’ve been told that the unit was undersized for the house and that the ducting is for an evaporative system not r/c so the whole lot needs to be replaced. The quote from F&D is pretty high and I wondered if anyone has had experience with any vendors in Perth they could recommend.

We’ve hired a gas heater for the tenants for winter but will need to do something before summer arrives.

Thanks

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

thomasp,

I’d like to help you, and have a bunch of contact companies / names / phone numbers and email addresses in my study. Unfortunately I’m not in Perth at present and therefore don’t have access to the required info.

Having just recently gone through the sqm process with A/C consultants for our PPoR, the common thread running through the vendors was their overquoting of unit capacity vs area….my suggestion would be whatever they recommend, go for about 80% of that in terms of capacity. They try and use the ol’ “but it’s facing west and lots of glass” etc etc…

I’m far more interested on a broader level – when you say “will need to do something” do you ;

A) Feel compelled as a Landlord due to simply the tenants running off if you don’t install something new ??
    B) The A/C unit is specifically in your lease agreement and stated they you will cough for all expenses related thereto ??
    C) The RTA explicitly or implicitly assumes that it is your responsibility, ‘cos it’s a fixture ??

The reason I ask is two fold. Firstly the responsibility of fixtures came up in a thread about 6 months ago and it became pretty murky with residential houses as to who is actually responsible for repairs. Secondly, I find it staggering the length (both in time and expense) to which some LL’s go to – to keep their tenants comfy…despite the tax deductions and depreciation for larger items counterarguments.

My father and elder sister fall over themselves pampering their tenants with all sorts of little luxuries. It’s only in the last 3 or 4 months they’ve realised the tenants don’t give a rats about them or their “worthless house” as the tenants termed it, and try at every turn to squeeze for little extras. This has a large negative effect on their cashflows, and the tenants know it.

Call me harsh if need be, but from my current perspective (non-res where the tenant pays for everything) I’d never chip in to fix A/C’s. One of my gym tenants kindly upgraded the A/C’s last fin. year to the tune of $ 8,000. He knew what the answer would be if he wanted me to chip in.

Who knows, perhaps they are paying you a premium to normal rent levels and you enjoy the running around and extra expenses.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

What Suburb in Perth..

Winton A/C in Joondalup and Needhams (near Freo but travel all over) are both pretty good IMHO..ask for some quotes (most are free I’ve found) and get a few opinions..costs you nothing and you’ll probably feel better for it..

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of thomaspthomasp
    @thomasp

Hi,

The place is in East Perth. We’ve had a couple of people look at it and both tell us it is knackered but so far only one quote.

The reason for fixing is mostly to do with renting it again, lease expires in January and the tenants are not intending to stay so trying to make it easier to rent in the middle of summer. Not in a hurry to spend the money and don’t think air con is needed in Perth at the moment (I’m in Scotland and our “summer” is colder than Perth winter, 20 is considered a scorcher!!).

Just tyring to think of options as a full system is expensive and I have the air con people telling me the ducting is not right for r/c but only for evaporative. I am leaning to then just installing an evap unit and using the exisiting ducting. I personally would not like evap but it does the job and as I don’t live there looking at saving money. Only other thing I’m considering is the added value (any opinions on this?) of an r/c versus evap system.

Thanks

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Hey Thomas,

Thanks for the PM. Agreed. Good luck with ’em.

“Wouldn’t be that sorry for them to leave as they over react to issues and then don’t let people in to fix.”

I’m hearing ya. One of the many reasons we dumped them.

Have you noticed how big institutions who are focussed on making serious money in property also don’t play the silly ‘quickly react to whinging tenants’ games.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

Hey Thomas,
    Have you thought of using maybe 1 or 2 split units (reverse cycle)?
    I have fitted a couple of these units(hitachi pump-AUX branding) to house and shop.They are very fairly priced and any A/C fitter will fit them for around $450 to $550,possibly a deal done to install 2.
    The company is Air Conditioner Importers and they have sold alot of them with very few probs.
    Ph no is (sydney)1300732663They should freight to you ok.
    possibly worth a thought.
    regards Dematio

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

as far as r/c ducted goes I have just considered that for an IP and it really isnt a smart decision economically speaking – you will never recover the cost in rent let alone make money on your investment. personally i would install a evap unit and get a plumber to put a gas negus point in.

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

John Carroll

Profile photo of thomaspthomasp
    @thomasp

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. We are going to get a couple more quotes, plus I’m going to look at replacing the old r/c with a cheaper evap and keep the ducting, and also just what a split system would be.

Won’t be rushing into this so we can look at options and decide the best course.

thomasp

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.