All Topics / Opinionated! / Real Property, Real People, Unreal profits

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of ilearnerilearner
    @ilearner

Dear All,

I bought a book by RENO KINGS – Real Property, Real People, Unreal Profits

How real is it?

I finished probably 1/2 of the book and found the more I read the difficult I belive their “real people”. Steve McKnight’s $1m in one year might sound more or less real.

All people in RENO King’s book sounds like genius in property investment. For example, Elin Power who was divoiced in 96 and preganent for 8 months with no high income. By the time the book was written (2004), she got more than $3 000 000 equity. Wow, she is going to achieve $30m in next 5 -10 years if she just follows what she did in the last few years. She should run guru stuff to make more money than invest probably.

I am sorry to bring this up. I really want to know how true it is or just another way of GURU marketing? Has anyone met these “REAL” people?

THanks

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

I know the Reno Kings well, I;m proud to consider Paul and Geoff as friends.
    Yes, the peole are real and are graduates of their seminars.

When you get to the back of the book Paul and Geoff declare their own portfolio and net worth – something very few authors/speakers do.

Having said that, the results in the book are extraordinary and not “typical” – I understand they were included to inspire you.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of quigglesquiggles
    @quiggles

I’ve met the reno kings and Geoff was a long time and very useful contributor on another forum.

I’ve also met one of the people featured in the book. Like Michael says, she’s real, but not typical.

So good on you for asking the question, but the answer is, based on a small sample that yes, tehy are real.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

ilearner,

Inventing testimonials is an old trick- and a very boring one- i don’t think anyone falls for it anymore. Probably the best testimonials are ones you can check. With REAL stories, I think anyone would be mad to make stuff up- although Kiyosaki did, and so have a lot of other gurus- particularly about their portfolios.

Really, it’s amazing what people say- property gurus- much of it can be bunkum. I find that the people who talk a lot about honesty etc, are often the ones who are least honest. You’d be surprised about some gurus who have a criminal past.

I tend to think the Reno Kings are pretty decent- they’re just working class fellows who started off professionalising the reno thing before it boomed.

Is the book a good read?

kay henry

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

what did Kyiosaki lie about?

We buy properties in all conditions. Can offer Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents Required
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of ilearnerilearner
    @ilearner

Thank u all 4 response. Like the name says, “Real people” – UNreal profits. These real people are really tanentd in property investment.

I watched Martin current afair – I was shocked by the those lawers. You borrowed $68k – after one year – you got $600k loan. How people’s heart is so BLACK? We seems in a world having nothing but MONEY.

Profile photo of DannyboyDannyboy
    Participant
    @dannyboy

Hi Dr.X.
    Apparently Rich Dad is a fictional charater.

Profile photo of quigglesquiggles
    @quiggles

This thread is pressing a few of my buttons.

Let’s get down to basics – I think two important questions are being raised here:

1) Is the message in the books mentioned (and others by implication) valid?

2) Are the stories in the books cold fact, romanticised recollections or parables? And does it matter?

For the first, I would have to say that there are only two books on investment that I have read that I was unable to take anything concrete away from, and even one of those at least had a point worth considering in looking at the broader issues. Both of these books were Australian, ironically enough.

For the second, if you want to find out what’s real and what’s not, look up the site belonging to a US commentator named John T Reed. He will point out truths, half truths, evasions, gossip, discrediting facts and other material about nearly everyone who’s ever published anything on investment, especially real estate, in the US. And after you’ve wasted an hour or so on his site, you’ll find that there is no mention of the “Ah hah!” moment you might have had when reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad or any of a hundred other books.

It doesn’t matter if the examples are real, as long as the message has value for you. You don’t want to do the same deals as these guys – many of them bankrupted themselves (RK twice, from memory). You want the messages about context, about walking before you run, about making the profit when you buy, about good and bad debt etc.

If you mistake the window dressing for the message, then you need to reassess your thinking. It’s when the message makes you uncomfortable (even if the attached story is cute) that the alarm bells should go on.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.