All Topics / Help Needed! / Carpet Replacement – What to choose?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of WTBNowWTBNow
    @wtbnow

Hi,
    I need to replace all the carpet (bedrooms/lounge/dining) in a rental I have.
    Got two quotes but conflicting recommendations.
    Are light or dark colours better?
    What material to select?
    The walls and ceiling are white.
    Thanks for your help.
    Wtbnow

Profile photo of Endless SummerEndless Summer
    @endless-summer

Go or a darker neutral colour.

Brown or grey.

I know they sound drab, but they don’t show up marks and will act as a non offensive backdrop to anyone’s furniture.

If you choose a colour or pattern then that will easily date and more easily clash with many types of furniture.

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Whatever colour you choose, I’d maybe pick a mid to darker colour. I’d pick something which enhances your house. Tenants should be cleaning the carpets prior to vacating. If not, take it out of their bond.

My advice though would be to avoid wool. We are about to replace a beautiful wool 3 x 2 metre rug because it has a 6″ square area (under a table leg) totally eaten by wool moth. About a year after having wool laid in three bedrooms and a large rumpus at home, we discovered this wool moth. We have had it treated several times (Brisbane) and the carpet company even replaced the downstairs rumpus carpet for us. The treatment the wool is supposedly sprayed with before it leaves the factory obviously was not working. We got a new downstairs carpet, but the wool moth is just munching away upstairs, even after being treated by a trusted pestman.

Much as I love wool, the moths do too. They are not too keen on the synthetic carpets, which I must admit, can be very nice as well.

I know my mother has the same problem with her carpets and I am sure if people moved their furniture, many would find the carpet eaten out from underneath things that are never moved. The moth just flies in on the breeze and lands on the carpet and starts eating. It is a really tiny moth and the larvae is about the size of a grain of rice. That grain of rice has a voracious appetite.

The carpet company rep originally tried to fob me off (for over 12 months) with the story that I should be moving all my furniture every month to clean under it. Yeah right!!!

Just my thoughts, Wylie.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Industrial carpets are hard wearing and inexpensive and many are quite nice too.

Sisal looks great.

We hard dark blue carpet once and it really showed the lint and fluff etc – needed daily vacuuming!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

In my experience as a parent, carpets with a pattern tend to hide a lot of marks/dirt/stains/etc. The pattern doesn’t have to be too bold, I agree that can be a turn off and date badly. One with flecks of different shading through it will do the trick, just as long as it is not a solid colour.

As with almost everything else for IP I would pick something neutral (perhaps a shade of beige or grey) that is not too dark which will show all fluff or too light which will show stains easily.

Kind Regards,
    Sonja

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

I really like sisal, too.
    It’s very stylish, natural and looks crisp, and there are so many choices nowadays.
    I remember years ago there were only 3 choices: black, brownish and greyish and just one ribbed texture. Pretty boring.

I just love the many textures and colours of sisal available now.

Neutral natural or earthy tones are best, or you can even get it in tweed.

It goes with absolutely every style and decor.

I think you can get it pre-scotchgarded, too.

Celivia

Profile photo of WTBNowWTBNow
    @wtbnow

Thank you to all for their feedback.

I will most likely go for a medium quality polypropylene carpet in a lighter colour with flecks. This won’t close in the rooms and the flecks won’t show up dirt so quickly.

It was interesting to note that during initial talks to carpet retailers, most wanted to sell the cheapest and darkest colour they had in stock.

Of two quotes received, only one retailer was prepared to answer the following questions, to qualify the work carried out.

I then contacted more retailers with the following questions first up and gave them the choice to contact me. 1 out of 8 replied.

The Carpet Institute of Australia Limited recommends to ask the following questions when selecting a new carpet.

1. Broadloom meters required.

2. Details of the manufacturer, the manufacturers carpet name and the grading registration number.

3. Why this particular carpet was suggested.

4. The grade of the carpet suggested (as per an independent carpet grading program such as the Australian Carpet Classification Scheme, the Woolmark/Woolblendmark Scheme, or the Fernmark Scheme).

5. Details about how stain proof the carpet is, eg against wine, shoe polish, bleach, coffee, mud, cordial, grease, crayons ink, beetroot, mustard and pet stains.

6. Weight (ounce per square feet/meter)

7. The type of underlay best suited to the carpet and particular installation.

8. Installation plan, addressing issues such as:
    a) Layout
    b) Location and number of joins
    c) How joins will be made
    d) Installation direction

9. Details of Warranty

One a final note, all suppliers seem to give warranty on their workmanship but not on the carpet itself, as it is a rental.

Wtbnow

@wylie

Pathetic to get 1 out of 8 who want your business enough to reply. The other 7 should be run out of business.

I was looking for the carpet for our PPOR (the carpet which was subsequently replaced) and the WOMAN (mid to late 50s) who served me (actually totally ignored me for over 10 minutes until I decided to let my younger two boys start climbing on the carpet display stands – then she noticed me!!) would not arrange for someone to come to our house to measure and quote on a carpet I had chosen unless my HUSBAND was at home as well. I was absolutely GOBSMACKED!!

Actually, when she did deign to serve me, I pointed out a carpet I liked the look of and she replied (and I quote) “Oh. I don’t think you could afford that one.” I was reasonably well dressed, and even if I wasn’t, what a pathetic way to try to make a sale – NOT!!

Needless to say, her company will never get my business (large well known chain).

Some people should just be taken out the back and given a good smacking!!

Regards, Wylie

Profile photo of PeteJackiePeteJackie
    Participant
    @petejackie

Hi Wylie,
    Know exactly what you mean.

We used to own a travel agency in a small country town. We learnt very quickly that you could never judge people at all, definatly not by what they wear or how they acted as a lot of farmers (mainly orchardists) would come into town in their work clothes, very down to earth, however with loads of money.

Anyone in sales should remember never to judge someone on appearence if at all. As you said you were well dressed.

Some people should never be let loose on the public.

Back to the topic. We have just built a spec home and have used a dark grey carpet that, although not being everyones cup of tea, has been quite popular.

Cheers,
    Pete

Profile photo of BonbeachBonbeach
    Participant
    @bonbeach

Wylie

I am looking for new carpet for my Melb property, what was the name of this company that treated you this way? I like to support people (like you) that get poor service from big companies that should know better…

If anyone got a good deal, or knows the name of a good carpet retailer please also let me know, I will be doing the whole house in about 3 weeks time…

Dev *

@wylie

Hi, this “lady” was with a major chain. I don’t want to seem paranoid but I’d hate to get into trouble for naming names here. Also, the chain probably has no idea how bad for their name this particular woman was. Who knows, maybe it is a franchise and she is hurting her own bottom line as well as the company with her bad attitude.

Maybe she had just had a bad day, or her underwear didn’t fit properly. I was especially gobsmacked at her point blank refusal to send someone to measure and quote unless my hubby was home. I thought I had been beamed back to the 1950’s.

I also learnt from when I was 12 years old and worked in my parents shop, that even if you can’t serve some immediately, “I will be with you as soon as I can” goes a long way. Good customer service is pure gold to a business.

I said I would not use that company again, but let’s face it, if the price was right, I would.

Regards, Wylie.

Profile photo of giddogiddo
    @giddo

I have been in sales too and even sales of carpet for a while. I cannot forgive that shop assistant for her attitude but I can definitely identify with her. Floor covering was the most mind numbing, difficult things I have ever sold. Nonetheless she should be taken out the back and given a severe talking to!
    One thing I did learn is that polyprop is the cheapest type carpet and has few disadvantages.
    One disadvantage of POLYPROP is the fact that it flattens out more than others. You know, doorways, hallways etc – when polyprop flattens it does not spring back up again, even with vacuumimg and cleaning. So if you go for it, make sure it is low pile so the flat spots do not show as much. WOOL is a no-no – reacts to perspiration for a start – can be difficult to keep clean.
    One synthetic which is next up the ladder from POLYPROP is NYLON.
    It springs back better and cleans well.
    However it is a bit dearer.
    I too would go for a fleck or modest pattern – not a wild pattern of course but something with mild variation.

Regards and sympathy from a former floor covering salesperson
    Giddo

Profile photo of cres4aucres4au
    Participant
    @cres4au

Hi Frank here I have 36 years experience in the carpet trade as an Installer and a seller I would recommend Good Quality Carpet Say a Twist Pile not to dark not to Light a resonable colour. to match decor solution dyed nylon is good for cleaning 100% wool & wool Blends Dont put cheapo it will only last 2 years the carpets I recommend will last between 10 years & 20 years also fit a good underlay say 10mm thick Bonded foam hope this helps need more info! [email protected] cheers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.