All Topics / Opinionated! / dodgey email scams

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of charles periguine esquirecharles periguine esquire
    Participant
    @charles-periguine-esquire

Hi, i thought i would post my thoughts on a dodgey email i just recieved tonight, the only place i can think of that they would have got my email address and mobile phone number is from a web address i picked up from a forum contributer that web site is http://www.owner.com.au.
    I listed my house for sale with no problems but tonight i get an email offering me a share of 18.5 million dollars(us) from My name is James Clark, am a Manager with Marriott Corporate Property Bank South Africa
    He must think we are all corrupt and stupid.Anyhow i emailed him back and told him to deposit 1.5 million dollars into my account before i could help him.I don’t think he will call!

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

There’s a lot of problems soon as you post your e-mail address, thats why some people on this forum and others post thier e-mails as joebloggs “at” yahoo.com etc rather than usin @ ..

I’ve replied to those e-mailsfor fun in a similar fashion as you and never had responses either..plus i’ve had banks i dont bank with asking me to ‘update’ my records..

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

he he, thats funny. I get them all the time and just delete them without opening, unless I know who they are from.

I know a friend of a guy in Canada (we lived there for 3 years), who actually fell for it and send $100,000 to a bank in South Africa. They sent him a first class ticket to come and meet them and to give him his share of $1000,000 in return. He took the trip only to find that there was no red carpet or riches waiting once he got there. The police in Canada or the bank couldn’t even trace where the money went because apparently you don’t need ID to open a bank account in South Africa.

They don’t just THINK that everyone is naive and stupid, some people really ARE!!!!

We buy properties in all conditions. Can offer Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents Required
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of GeoffBeckGeoffBeck
    @geoffbeck

Guys,
    Just a suggestion, never ever reply back to scam/junk email, it only triggers the person at the other end that your email address is an active one and tells them you are willing to read and react to correspondence.
    These people will now on sell your email address to millions of marketers and scammers world wide, who will on sell it to millions of others…. You will more than likely be bombarded with emails for life?
    I don’t want to scare you but once this happens your only choice it to cancel your email address and get a new one.

Cheers,
    GeoffB

Profile photo of munjymunjy
    @munjy

Dr X,

What would be the reasoning behind giving him a 1st class trip? You’d think they’d just do a complete runner!

There are somethings in life you just can’t live down or even forgive yourself for. Your friend must be kicking himself still.

Munjy

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

The scam usually includes getting more money from the morons dumb enough to send it by kidnapping and then murdering them. I have seen a documentary about it and how hard it is to catch or prosecute them due to the various jurisdictional issues and problems in the countries where most of these emails emanate from.

A common term for these is called PHISHING.

TMA

http://www.email4money.info
    Investor Links
    First Home Buyer Website

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Type “419” into Google and you get sites regarding the Nigerian scams. Apparently 419 relates to the section of the law that these scams are breaking, or something like that.

I did find a site once that was run by internet vigilantes who baited these scammers and there are some funny stories there of the scammers being scammed by the baiters.

Regards, Wylie

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Just remembered the name “419 eater”. This is the site. It makes for some fun reading if you are looking to see the stingers get stung.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.