All Topics / Opinionated! / Adult children living at home

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Profile photo of castoncaston
    Participant
    @caston

Sonja,

Thanks for your encouragement. Neurotypical is the term; albeit cheekily used to describe people outside the autistic spectrum.

For more info about AS and Autism check out:

http://www.aspiesforfreedom.com/

http://www.aspiesforfreedom.org/autisticprideday/

http://www.spectrumhaven.com/

Even an irc server: irc.chatautism.com/6667

There are often very important niche areas that an autistic person can excel in for instance:

“An autistic woman who has a successful career in programming told ComputerWorld magazine that when she’s programming, “my code just flies,” and she can accomplish more in four hours than other people can in two or three days. This is a widely known phenomenon in the programming field — such productive people are sometimes known as “super-programmers” and are highly valued by employers.”

http://www.geocities.com/redmondrose/DigitalPie.htm

Profile photo of PixietronPixietron
    @pixietron

Hello all,
    I am 26 and living with my parents again for a few months, and let me tell you, it’s very hard for many young people such as myself to get a footing in the ‘big bad world’. I have a full time job, but unfortunatly if you don’t have 2 degrees it can be very hard to earn a decent wage. I believe myself to work as hard as the next person, and am only just getting by. I think things were simpler back 20 or 30 years ago when people left school and started their careers.
    I’m just thankful my family are happy to help me out when I am struggling. If not for their help, I think as a single woman I’d never be able to save up for a deposit on my first home. That’s another thing too, so few people are getting married these days. None of my friend have partners who want to get financially involved with them. The beginnings can be a real struggle when it’s just you.

-Melinda
    [blush2]

Profile photo of castoncaston
    Participant
    @caston

Melinda

I always saw the min-wage as quite generous and personally would love to be getting it.

$15 an hour at a 40 hour week is $600 per week before tax and super. I can easily live on $250 a week ( was getting about $200pw while I was studying and living in a flat) leaving a decent amount to put aside for into investments and or deposits.

I remember reading about how it used to be argued that developments in technology would cut down the amount of work that we need to do and could all just work part-time. Of course it didn’t happen like that because of competitiveness and globalisation and the time we waste battleing with the technology etc

However more and more there a new types and new options for gaining positive income assets. If we want to set up our lives so that we only need to work part-time then its up to us.

Profile photo of oshenoshen
    @oshen

I agree with Caston. How could a single person possibly not survive on a full time wage? I am a young single woman and live well on far less than that.

Participant
    @caston

However, if Melinda lives somewhere where the rent is very expensive (and she needs to be there because she works in a big Australian city) or she spends a lot in parking each day for work I could very well understand it.

Of course when you go for a job don’t tell you are willing to work for award rates! If they *do* want to get you down to this level at least make it look like they are getting a good deal for what they are paying you (that is your worth 35k/40k a year). I don’t think you usually miss out on a job because you asked for to much.

Profile photo of oshenoshen
    @oshen

I fail to see how a single person with no dependants could not survive on a full time wage, regardless of whether they work in a city or not.

I can see how it might be a more comfortable lifestyle though, living with one’s parents.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by I think as a single woman I’d never be able to save up for a deposit on my first home. That’s another thing too, so few people are getting married these days. None of my friend have partners who want to get financially involved with them. The beginnings can be a real struggle when it’s just you.

-Melinda
    [blush2]

I have some single male friends looking for partners….send a pic and your star sign and I will pass it on lol

[biggrin][biggrin][biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Simon,

Pretty cheeky there. If you read Melinda’s post carefully – all her friends have partners, they just don’t want to get involved financially.

Melinda, if for some reason your parents werent there, eg. overseas, what would you do ??

Also, what are 18-25 yr old’s standard expectation of accomodation ?? Do you need to be in a place that is the equivalent of your parents house, which they have probably struggled to acquire over the past 30 yrs ?? Would you be happy living in a bottom 10 suburb (yes – the ol’ drossville) in a 2br fibro run down house ??

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Pixietron..

Having two Uni Degrees doesn’t cut it as well sometimes; as you may be qualified, but ‘lack experience’..most will also have a hecs debt of $50-$100k as well depending on what they’ve done..

2 degrees seems to be the norm nowadays or a postgraduate degree or a Masters to put you ahead of the *pack* [grad]

And how about some of the courses that offer degress in Surf Science or a PHD in Tai Chi[goatee]..how much of a calling is there for people with these degrees..?

Uni’s seem to be a great Investment..lets start one..PI Uni[specs]

PS- I’m enjoying this post Dazzling its certainly thought provoking re the kids, the Japanese believe that it takes the 1st Generation to build your fortune, the 2nd to maintain and increase it and the 3rd will lose it as they never had to work for it….

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Redwing,

Yeah, I think many societies have this problem – perhaps everyone on the forum is either the first or second generation ??

We are planning on making our kids lives quite tough (i.e. not handing them everything on a plate) so that they aren’t typical third generation people – if you know what I mean.

I think the English call it “shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in 3 generations”.

Surely both the Packers and the Murdochs would be outstanding exceptions to this general rule ??

I read somewhere that Frank Packer was handed about 1.5 MM pounds in the early 30’s by his father. He then did an outstanding job as the 2nd generation and handed Kerry about 470 MM dollars in about ’74. Kerry, supposedly the useless 3rd generation has once again done an outstanding job by increasing that to 7 or 8 BN. Jamie is the 4th generation – and looks to be handling things reasonably well, although his OneTel debacle wasn’t that cluey. All up – they seem to be going from strength to strength. Despite Kerry’s gambling forays, he never bets real big – enough where his fundamental wealth is ever threatened.

There’d have to be a few lessons for all there I reckon. How do we get big Kezza to join this forum ??

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of Bob DobelinaBob Dobelina
    Participant
    @bob-dobelina

Dazzling;

Enjoyed the longhand version of your perspective – some good points and well put.

Bob

Profile photo of neo25x5neo25x5
    @neo25x5

I love my kids (like im sure most m&d’s do) dearly. But the wife and I are already planning to the day what we will do once the offspring are off our hands. I don’t entirely agree with Dazzling’s idea of setting the kids up by conveniently putting them into one of the ip’s. Hell, if youre gonna set them free let them buy into a property themselves! There would have to be ultra-exceptional circumstances that would necessitate the kids staying till their 35. Anyway just my thoughts.

Eric

Profile photo of cbellesinicbellesini
    Participant
    @cbellesini

Hi all, thought this might be a good way to enter the forum after being a reader the past couple of months. I’m 23 and living at home as are most of my friends I went to school with and play sport with. I beleive it has become more difficult to afford moving out in most circumstances. Although I must admit I have friends who struggle to wash dishes when we go away generally we are independent in most adult ways but maybe not financially.
    Through High school I did paper rounds, then worked at Coles and saved so when I was 19 I could buy a car and a few bits and pieces along the way Back to $0. Through 3 years of Uni I worked part time and earnt $200p/w, first year paid uni fees upfront and so a lot of money went there. Decided against it in subsequent years and so now have a $10k HECS debt hanging around, at least the interest rate is cheap.
    I think people who’ve taken this path of a 3 year Uni course would find it hard to move out before 21 without government assistance because running a car alone cost me $3k a year (33% of my earnings).
    I was on the verge of buying a house earlier this year after being in full time work for 18 months but decided to invest instead and try and get ahead of my generation in a sense. I figure that way I can repay my parents. I currently rent from them and have always been tought good values. The goal is to have a good +ve cashflow from investing and move out within 2 years. If goes well earlier!!

Profile photo of jparsonsjparsons
    @jparsons

I agree that the youngsters should head out early. It is even more positive when they take the step themselves. I did so when I was twenty- which is probably well under average these days. Many people think that it will somehow get them ahead by staying at home that little longer to do or save for this and that. But a little longer seems to keep on going I think. There are always excuses.

I believe it is much more beneficial to go out there and “get amongst” the real world nice and early.

Good post Dazzling!

J.

Jarrod.

http://www.jenterprisegroup.com.au
    data.communications.entertainment systems

Participant
    @caston

When I originally moved out I only did so because I believed it would be easier to get a girlfriend if I had my own place. That was my only motivation.

Profile photo of asdfasdf
    Participant
    @asdf

Hi Caston, did it work? I reckon thats a myth but it sure does help. I’m 29 and recently moved back to the folks’ (helps on the finance application when you don’t have to put PPOR mortgage or rent figures).
    Thanks Dazzling, this has been a very interesting post as I too am dealing with this issue. The folks actually like having me back although I work long hours and crash at my g’friends’, am hardly there. Since my brother and I moved out, I suppose I can say that they probably missed us. We used to hate getting told to do chores..etc.. but know now that it was great training plus they were busy trying to put food on the table too. Now they have so much free time, all they do is clean! I told mum I’d gladly pay for a cleaner to come in but she has no bar of that.
    Although moving out teaches us to be independant..etc.. its actually not that big a deal. Unless you’ve been spoilt rotten by your mum, I think everyone should be able to survive out there by themselves and its not as if you’re on your own anyway. Most of my mates moved in with others so in that way, they are relying on each other for support. Perhaps there will always be that stigma that comes with living at home?

I’m seeing some of my friends getting married now and taking on PPOE mortgages while some continue to rent. They don’t struggle day to day to get by but I don’t see them accelerating their wealth creation at the same time. Like Dazzling said before, some choose to go for the lifestyle play -nice units, PPORs, clothes, fancy hols…etc.. which is perfectly fine but I know they are heavily reliant on their JOBs and I’d hate to think how they are planning for any kids in future. Syd is not a cheap city…

I’ve been lucky to be “exposed” to property in the last couple of years and am absolutely loving it. I can see the leverage working and just keep leap frogging. Unfortunately not many of my mates are doing the same thing so I really struggle with people to talk to about this stuff hence the forums great. I wished I started this a lot earlier rather than trying to make my millions trading One Tel and Libertyone shares. But I’m very pleased with what I’ve achieved so far with property and hope to just continue learning. Unfortunately they definitely don’t teach you this stuff at uni. All the option pricing theory I learnt at uni did buckleys for me trying to make my millions in the sharemarket. So your knowlegde and advice will be the best education/insurance for your kids’s future.

And BTW, I don’t plan to stay at the folks’ till I’m 35. Am looking to buy a PPOR in the next year or so, maybe with the g’friend. That would be another topic altogether….

Participant
    @caston

asdf:

I don’t think it does. It puts you in a better bargaining position but that position is *way* overpriced and you can be so busy/stressed earning the money to pay your overheads that you may not have any time/money left to look for a girlfriend.

I’ve actually had more girlfriends since I moved back in with my parents. It does look a bit stupid though so obviously I do need to get out of here soon. I really want the best of both worlds. My own place but not having to push myself to work so hard for it all the time.

Profile photo of mgs2mgs2
    @mgs2

I think now days the average age the Australian leaves home is 25. This is understandable that this age has increased greatly over time, to keep with changing conditions. Now days in Sydney, as an example houses are 10 times the median wage, it also must be taken into account that few young people straight out of school or uni earn figures near that median wage. Of course financial security is important to everyone, and if some people believe that they have a better chance of achieving financial security through staying with their parents to say 25, then whats wrong with that? Everyones situation is unique and there will obviously also be non-financial reasons behind such decisions. But in looking at this situation I dont think it can be interpreted that there are superior or inferior decision, its just that everyone is different.

Profile photo of Jenny1Jenny1
    @jenny1

I had no role models for managing money, both my parents drank and gambled at times leaving only money for toast for dinner for 3 kids!

I married at 18 had children at 19 and 20, lived a life of good clothes, holidays but unfortunately still no savings.

I have learnt the hard way through divorce, going guarantor for sons loan (he then passed away) leaving me with a debt. I held down 3 jobs and in as many years cleared debts and bought 1st property (no FHOG in those days).

From there worked a 2nd job bought another 2 properties on my own, and then fell in love and married a guy who just adores me[blush2]

We have purchased a further 2 properties together(he insisted on protecting the assets I had before we married).

My daughter has married a loser who gambles and drinks and is paying off a debt that he was responsible for when he crashed their car when he was p***ed.

I could very easily afford to help her out by putting her into one of my IP’s (as her Mum I have paid for bills and put food on the table) but not while she is married to that idiot. He would expect to get half the house with no effort at all on his behalf when they divorce (won’t last..fingers crossed).

I will then step in and teach her what she wouldn’t listen to when she was younger.

Life is a never ending story isn’t it??[biggrin]

The End

Jenny1

Profile photo of quigglesquiggles
    @quiggles
    Originally posted by mgs2:

I think now days the average age the Australian leaves home is 25. This is understandable that this age has increased greatly over time, to keep with changing conditions. Now days in Sydney, as an example houses are 10 times the median wage, it also must be taken into account that few young people straight out of school or uni earn figures near that median wage.

Don’t know about you, but I wasn’t attempting to BUY when I moved out of home. Considering that rental yields in Sydney are currently around 3-4%, then to get a room in a shared 3 bedroom house will set you back a third of 3% of 10 times median wage or 10% of the median wage. Average Weekly Ordinary Time Earnings last year were under $1000 per week, Newstart is $200 per week.

It’s not flash living, but that, I think, is the real problem in that the reluctance to move reflects the reluctance to surrender a lifestyle for which the beneficiary is not paying. And that is an attitude which will not support them in later life.

In Japan, you have people in their late thirties, employed, still living at home, paying neither for food nor rent, and not wanting to move out because then their expenses would go up – AND MUM AND DAD MIGHT STOP PAYING THEM AN ALLOWANCE!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.