All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Company question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of crgironcrgiron
    Participant
    @crgiron

Hi,

I have just finished reading “Wealth Guardian” – which contains a wealth of information.

If I set up a company with my husband as director and myself as the sole shareholder, I realize that the book says my husband will act as guarantor for all loans.

My question is, if we want to increase our borrowing capacity – can I (as shareholder) also act as guarantor for the loans?

Thanks for the input.

Novice investor

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig
    Originally posted by crgiron:

If I set up a company … Novice investor

If you are planning to invest in property, as opposed to running a development business, then you may want to consider other investment structures in preference to a company.

Companies can’t get the 50% CGT discount that individuals and trust beneficiaries can, potentially requiring you to pay significantly more tax on sale (quite possibly 48.5% if the gain is large enough and the number of shareholders is small).

GP

Profile photo of angelodangelod
    Participant
    @angelod

Hi

You really need to consider a trust stucture

Please e-mail if you want further information

Regards
    Ang

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes you both could guarrantee the loans, but this may hurt borrowing capacity in the long run and create more risk if something goes wrong.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.