All Topics / Value Adding / Render – Color or Paint it

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

We want to render the external walls of our PPOR. One renderer suggested we do not color the render but paint it. Any advice on the best option?

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I don’t know much about this…but my first thought is that colouring the render would last forever whereas painting might give you a regular expense of repainting?

What did he say about this?

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Adding meaasured amounts of coloured oxide to the render mix will give you a long lasting effect.

Cheers

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of PeteJackiePeteJackie
    Participant
    @petejackie

From what I’ve seen, renderers seem to tint the render (eg light or dark) depending on the final colour which is painted on. It is a lot thicker than normal paint and, I think they call it armour.

Pete

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

Both methods work.

The tradesmen we use prefer to paint over the render. It doesn’t cost extra and lasts as long.

The real benefit is in touch ups. If you get chips or damage it is easy to patch up with paint.

With colour through render you have to redo a whole wall to match colours.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

A friend of ours also just built a new home through a contract builder and they used a tinted roll on product. The end effect looked pretty good. Not sure of the product name or cost. Must be commonly available though.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of ian_from_brisbaneian_from_brisbane
    @ian_from_brisbane

Could someone please give me a rough idea of how much rendering costs? I don’t need an exact amount but I have had a lot of trouble find any information about it in Brisbane.

Thanks!

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Yack,
    Michael hit the nail on the head with the patching problem.
    Even from the outset you can get colour variation because the render will be mixed on site by a labourer i.e. it’s not terribly precise.
    At least this is what I have seen happen.
    Coloured floor toppings are easier to get consistent because they can in some areas (mostly metro) be delivered as a wet mix by the cubic metre.
    Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by ian_from_brisbane:

Could someone please give me a rough idea of how much rendering costs? I don’t need an exact amount but I have had a lot of trouble find any information about it in Brisbane.

Thanks!

In Melbourne it costs $40 -45 per sq mt applied

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Not having ever had a rendered property..is it high or regular maintenance?

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

There are two types of render that you can consider.

The first is cement render.This is the traditional mix of sand,cement and lime.It is mixed in a cement mixer,trowelled on to the wall and then screeded with a straight edge to get a flat wall.It is applied around 8 – 10 mm thick.Oxide of various colours can be put in to the mix,but this is not usually done as it is very difficult to get an even colour.Internally,this render would be covered with a set coat,which is the white hard plaster found on brick walls or on old lathe and plaster on timber walls.

The second type of render which is by far the most popular is acrylic render.If you had a bare brick wall,you would apply a coat of what is called in the trade “coco pops”,as it contains small granules of polystyrene.This fills in the joints,and any holes,and sticks like the proverbial to a shovel.It is only applied about 2 mm thick.If you were rendering a timber wall that you had sheeted with blue board,you would first apply a coat of “patch up” over all the joins.The top comes in a bucket (usually,but is available in dry powder) and is ready mixed from the factory in the required colour.You can choose any colour that can be mixed as a paint for your render colour.Suppliers include Unitex, marbletex, crystaltex etc. It is applied by trowel around 2 mm thick,and is finished off with a polystyrene or plastic float.Darker colours will be more difficult for an amateur to saticfactorily apply.The final finish is determined by the type of render purchased.It starts from a sand finish and goes up to a coarse 2mm.Another product has small bits of marble in it that leave scratch marks in the surface as it is trowelled.There are other finishes available as well from the various manufacturers.A 15 litre drum of the finish coat costs around $45-50.Top coats of acrylic render must be applied to a complete wall in the one hit.You can’t stop and start or you will get unsightly joins.You must go from corner to corner,or to a suitable break such as a door or window.You would need a friend to assist with acrylic render….one to apply and the other to finish.

There are also roller applied textures,but these are applied relatively thinly,and will not fill gaps,holes or brick joins.

Tools

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

I neglected to mention about colours in acrylic render.Although the colour in the render is throughout the product,if you scratch it you will leave a white mark.Darker colours will show scratches more easily,but you can easily paint over the whole wall to cover it up.Patching acrylic render is never successful.

Tools

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.