All Topics / Help Needed! / Get out of debt first or invest?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of maryinozmaryinoz
    @maryinoz

Hi~

I’m new to the property investment arena…but eagerly want to get my feet wet. However, I am not sure how to start….which is always the hardest part I guess.

At the moment, my husband and I have a bit of debt hanging around. Is it best to get rid of the debt completely (or a good chunk of it) first before trying to get into an investment property? We have cut down spending on everything and think we will be able to get rid of most if not all of it within 3 years. We don’t have much in savings or equity and have basically no assets. I’m probably answering my own question here, but would like to hear what others have to say.

Thanks, Mary

Profile photo of toni89toni89
    @toni89

Get out of debt as quickly as you can. Start with the ones that have the highest interest rate and work your way down from there.
    Cheers
    Toni

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I would tend to prefer the opposite – depending on your exact situation.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of maryinozmaryinoz
    @maryinoz
    Originally posted by Mortgage Hunter:

I would tend to prefer the opposite – depending on your exact situation.

Cheers,
    Simon Macks

Hi Simon~

What does it depend on? Like I said our debt isn’t much and we could probably wipe it out in 3 years if we keep at the rate we’re going. I’m in the process of trying to switch to a higher paying job so that we will have more money to put into savings and towards cutting out the debt. That being said, am I correct in saying it would be best for us to say we should start sooner rather than later?

Regards, Mary

Profile photo of neo25x5neo25x5
    @neo25x5

Presumably the debts you talk about are credit cards, pers. loans etc. If so, I also would be trying to get rid of these before undertaking any investments. Don’t know how good those loan products are that consolidated all these debts into one repayment?? Maybe an option. Eric

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Mary,

I know you only want positive thoughts streaming through here, but really, putting your financial future on ice for 3 whole years whilst you pay off a “bit of debt”.

My question to you is…have you and your partner rectified the lifestyle habits that got you into debt in the first place ?? If yes, I’d suggest you get serious and tackle the problem with all the grit and determination you can both humanely muster. If no, the chasm between where you are presently and successfully investing is fairly wide I would suggest.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of voigtstrvoigtstr
    @voigtstr

My partner and I are saving towards our deposit for our first house (we are currently renting in Hobart $180p/w)

So far we have saved up about 7000 (we went travelling to England Italy and Hong Kong in February which set us back a couple of thousand)

I think my partner only has a few hundred dollars debt in a credit card. I however owe about 25k in 2 loans and 2 cards.

The first card is in its interest free period , and I’m making payments to have it payed off before the interest free period expires (else it goes to something like 27% interest) I owe 900 on this card.

The other card is on 11% interest (paid for the nice gaming pc I’m writing this on) and I’m paying minimum payments on this card for the time being. This balance is $2850

The first loan is at $5200 13.95%, and is a consolidation of previous cards. Its paid at 200.30 a month. Remaining term at this rate is 33 months.

The last loan is at $16596 10.5%. it payed for my nice Italian motorbike (a Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans). Its paid at $439 a month and I still have 46 months to go on this loan.

Even though I have all this debt, after my last big purchase (the computer parts for this pc) I have cut back on spending, and am saving approximatly between $500 and $800 a month into ING Direct (5.4%)

Once my partner and I have got a house deposit secured, then I intend to concentrate on the loan at 13.95%, then the card at 11% and then finally into the bike loan at 10.5.

Once that is done I intend to save towards another deposit for my first investment property.

So I have a fair bit of debt, but I dont think it will stop me from getting into better debt… ie debt on an appreciating asset. And I intend to start investing after that as soon as my personal debt it cleared. Does this seem like the right approach?

Profile photo of neo25x5neo25x5
    @neo25x5

thats an excellent proposition dazzling! in fact one that i was professing to a very close friend on the weekend who too also wanted to get into property investment. alas, he is still running around in the latest holden, wearing expensive clothes, dining out most nights etc. youre right that it takes more than paying the debts off to get ones head into the property investment gear! Eric

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I agree with Dazzling.

I now have some time to expand on my earlier post.

If you wish to invest in property you will get the best possible finance deal if you have a 20% deposit saved over a 3-6 month period.

To commit all of your income to paying out debt is good but what then?

You sit back happy that you are finished the debt and then either have to save for 6 months or take a less optimum package.

One idea might be to make inroads on the debts whilst also establishing a deposit. If you choose the pos cashflow road you will then have additional funds available to pay down the debt each week.

Now for those who want to pay down debt let me suggest an idea.

Pay the minimum off every debt. Except the smallest. Pay all you have into it. Soon it will be gone. Good for morale and encouraging. Direct all the extra into the next smallest debt etc. Soon you will only have that last big one left with all of the available income left to kill it. From anecdotal evidence this really speeds up the whole process and also gives the most feeling of progress!

But as Dazzling says – unless you change your behaviour you will soon be back to where you started. Remember that “For things to change, first you must change”

All the best,

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

@voigtstr

Mortgate hunter, in my situation, (ie partner and I keen to own our own property even though I have about 25k in personal debt) do you think its wise that we save towards a house deposit? or should I reduce my debt first? (see a few posts up for break down of my finances..

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

voig,

I reckon keep the toys that make you happy, keep paying down the debts for them- that’ll keep you disciplined; and keep doing the savings that make you keep your feet on the ground.

Sell off the toys when and if you have to- if it all becomes overwhelming. 25k debt is not an extraordinary amount- it’s really about the cost of an average small car- nothing to really wreck yourselves over.

It’s obvious that the toys you have bought are diminishing in value as you use them, but what price fun? if you’re still saving for appreciating assets, you may as well enjoy time in the interim.

And don’t kill me, all you misers- not all of us want to spend every cent on appreciating assets and have no fun [specs]

kay henry

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Great to see you back on the forum a bit more Kay.

Hey , do you still get around in the datsun 120y?

Shawn

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Shawn- yes, indeedy! I reckon it’s still got a few more hundred k’s left it in yet- it’s only on 420,000 now- it’s still got the grunt (I think the orange colour makes it go longer). This is how i look when I’m driving it (it has a steering problem):

[thumbsupanim]

kay henry

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi voigtstr

Can you tell us the approximiate price range of the property you would be looking for?

Cheers Richard
    [email protected]
    http://www.yourstatefinance.com

IP funding and US property finance
    our speciality

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@voigtstr

For our first house (to live in ourselves) we would be looking for a house around 150,000 to 180,000 around Hobart. Because of the Moto Guzzi there must be a lock up garage. Because my partner has in the past bought and disposed of a property, the paper work would have to be all in my name to qualify for first home owner’s grant. Based on the debts I mentioned above, and a yearly income of about 50k gross, a local mob has said that approx 180k was the most that home lenders insurance would allow.

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

You need to work on a 20% deposit and this will cut the Mortgage Insurers out of the loop.

On a $50K income you may well be able to buy a home for much more than the range you describe – but I would need to ask a few more questions to get a feel for the upper limit!

If you can transfer the debts to your partners name then you will not need to disclose them. Perhaps a consolidation loan might be the answer? After you get the home then both incomes can be fed into knocking it over?

This is not specific advice – just tossing some options out for thought.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of Old School SkataOld School Skata
    @old-school-skata

what is the problem with paying for mortgage insurance? For the price of mortgage insurance (approximately 1% of the property based on a 10% deposit of a house $150K) you have $15000 plus all your legals and other costs to enter a property, why wouldn’t you pay approx $1500 to save you time in saving the remaining $15000 for a 20% deposit.) You could buy a place with $22000 – $24000 including all costs with a 10% deposit instead of neededing $36000 – $38000 with a 20% deposit.

Ok it is not ideal but if there is a property you have found and your due diligence shows you can make money from it why wait another 10, 15, 24 months to save the rest? That deal would be gone, sure you will probably find another but it could be up to 2 years of investing you will never get back.

If my serviceability lets me, I get loans for a property in my price range with a 10% deposit. otherwise it would take me forever to get serious in this game. Sure at some point you will hit a will and need a 20% deposit – but until then you may have 2/3/4/5 properties with potential growth and cashflow to help you get that 20% deposit.
    OSS

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Often it is an issue whereby the Mortgage Insurers wont approva a deal that would otherwise get through. They are much stricter than the lenders.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of JohnRizqallahJohnRizqallah
    @johnrizqallah

spend less than you earn (golden rule)AND PAY YOURSELF FIRST then all your bills debts later. this is delayed gratification and over time the compound effect is enormous… buy things that appreciate not depreciate in value and askyourself is it a want or need before you buy.. cheer John Rizqallah

@voigtstr
    Originally posted by JohnRizqallah:

spend less than you earn (golden rule)AND PAY YOURSELF FIRST then all your bills debts later. this is delayed gratification and over time the compound effect is enormous… buy things that appreciate not depreciate in value and askyourself is it a want or need before you buy.. cheer John Rizqallah

Thanks John. After the last big purchase of depreciating toys (ie the computer I’m typing this on) I wont be buying any more “Toys” untill the Playstation 3 comes out probably around september 2006. I was going to buy a Playstation Portable.. but I would probably never use it… I already have the iPod Photo for music, and all my gaming is done on this pc (SWG,EQ,Guildwars (just cancelled a World or Warcraft accound that was costing about 20$ a month that I was barely using))

For example I got paid on the 15th, my recurring bills (loans etc, phones bills ) have been all paid and I’ve put 500 into ING Direct. I have about 300 to last until the 15th of next month. Apart from petrol for the Motorbike, and perhaps a taxi to get me to the airport in a weeks time (going to Melbourne to see some Uni mates) I wont be buying anything I dont need..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.