All Topics / Help Needed! / Sydney – Next Boom

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of ajayayyarajayayyar
    Participant
    @ajayayyar

Hey guys,

When do you all predict the next housing boom? Within the next year, next five years, next 10 years?

Please let me know and also any additional comments you may have.

cheers

Ajay

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

My own view that a likly boom will occure before the end of the decade. But I suspect that rather than really steep growth the market will go up at a steady rate between 2008-2012 after that it depends on our ageing population

Nigel Kibel

http://www.propertyknowhow.com.au

Australian and New Zealand Buyers advocate
    service and seminars

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of shake-the-diseaseshake-the-disease
    @shake-the-disease
    Originally posted by ajayayyar:

Hey guys,

When do you all predict the next housing boom? Within the next year, next five years, next 10 years?

Please let me know and also any additional comments you may have.

cheers

Ajay

10:03am 25 June 2007

Profile photo of DannyboyDannyboy
    Participant
    @dannyboy

I think the next boom will be at 10:06pm to be honest

Profile photo of furrymoggyfurrymoggy
    @furrymoggy

i would say 2010

the surfing cat!

Profile photo of bob the workerbob the worker
    Participant
    @bob-the-worker

I think it will be a long time yet. How long after the last boom? 1990, to about 1998? That’s about 8 years. Only had 2 flat years now. Values now are still too high. The market simply just got ahead of itself. Average people on average wages could no longer afford an average house. Property will stay flat until it’s good value again.

Also, the sharemarket is on a role, and is still not expensive. As long as the sun still rises in the east, it will get expensive, and it will bust. It’s just a cycle that always happens, and it will bust just as the hype takes over and the first time mums and dad investors start buying up. When the sharemarket bust has happened in the past, property often takes off from then. eg, 1987, and tech crash 2000. Could be wrong. Just speculating like everyone else.

Good luck.

Profile photo of camdercamder
    Participant
    @camder

Cannot tell you when the next boom will be and would not mind if there is not one. We find investing in the country gives us a steady growth and the purchase prices are still affordable and the rents keep increasing .
    Cheers for now Len

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

It depends what you mean by “boom.”
    Remember the boom stage is the shortest stage of the property cycle and in my opinion the hardest time to make money.

In general property cycles occur in our major capital cities every 7 years. Both Melbourne and Sydney’s booms ended about 2 years ago in late 2003 helped by 2 interest rate rises.
    Brisbane’s boom ended a little while and Perth’s boom is still going.

Melbourne and Sydney have been in the slump stage of the cycle for a while now. We have evidence of price growth in the more expensive suburbs of Melbourne up to 10% increase in property values in some of teh suburbs we are buying in. Residex reports a similar finding in Sydney saying the slump has bottomed.

But that does not mean we are going to boom for a few years yet.

I agree with Nigel Kibel’s previous comment that Sydney’s boom is afew years off yet. (Wehn you have been in property for a few cycles like Nigel and I – you can pick the cycles a bit better)

But even though the boom is 3 to 5 years away, property prices will increase.

These next few years will deliver some great buying opportunities – we are in a buyer’s market. During a boom we are in a vendor’s market.

If you want to learn more about property cycles and why they occur, all new subscribers to my free emagazine get an ebook on property cycles and how to take advantage of them. You can subscribe at http://www.metropole.com.au

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of SeeChangeSeeChange
    @seechange

Michael has been around and knows what he’s talking about.

If you want to read up about the property cycle ( though he won’t and can’t tell you when the next cycle will begin ) you might want to read a book by Kieron Trass from NZ.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/sim-explorer/explore-items/-/0143019430/0/101/1/none/session/ref%3Dpd%5Fsxp%5Fr0/002-1470859-1159219

See Change

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

I agree with See Change – Kieron Trass’book is the best I have read on cycles and should be on every investors bookshelf.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

Hey Guys,
    I would say that not too many will keep investing in NSW for a while as the Taxes are a killer!
    I just payed $9600 Vendor tax up front on a sale (which included $900 odd of tax on top of(gst)tax.I am yet to pay the CGT also still to come at tax time.
    There are much better returns out there around the world!
    I actually believe we should pay tax as members of society but there are enough risks and sacrifices req’d with investing already without these EXTRA taxes.
    Dematio

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Profile photo of asdfasdf
    Participant
    @asdf

Taxes are a necessary evil but where some countries’ highest MTR is 10-15%, I often wonder where Mr Howard is spending our hard earned dollars. Since I live here by choice, I shouldn’t complain too much but it sure sux when half your bonus virtually disappears before you.

I agree with most that Syd and Melb won’t take off in the next couple of years at least. I know a few people who just bought in high in debt to their eyeballs cos of exxy PPOR. Some may even have -‘ve equity but I try not to bring that up in dinner conversations. People just aren’t jumping over each other to get into the market. Well, not jumping over investors anyway. I agree with Michael that in this enviromnent if you find the desperate vendor, could get yourself a bargain. Anyone know a desperate vendor….. :)

Profile photo of twastwas
    Participant
    @twas

MichaelYardney Posted – 17/07/2005 : 11:41:34

I agree with See Change – Kieron Trass’book is the best I have read on cycles and should be on every investors bookshelf.

Michael and Seechange,
    could u guys tell me where to buy this book in Sydney.
    I went to several bookstores, but can not find it~~
    thanks[biggrin]

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

Michael and Seechange , I liked your thoughts and agree.
    Cheers Rick

Monopoly, my favourite game

Profile photo of the.jthe.j
    @the.j
    Originally posted by megapass:
    Michael and Seechange,
    could u guys tell me where to buy this book in Sydney.
    I went to several bookstores, but can not find it~~
    thanks[biggrin]

I found it more economical to purchase from
    Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/sim-explorer/explore-items/-/0143019430/0/101/1/none/session/ref%3Dpd%5Fsxp%5Fr0/102-0667772-2211369

The next best I could find is from Angus and Robertson
    http://www.angusandrobertson.com.au/products/detailed.asp?bookid=0143019430&db=us

Even with Amazon delivery included, it still comes in $6AUD cheaper than the listed price exclusive of A&R delivery charge.

My experience with Amazon, has been a week and a half delivery to my doorstep, in regional Queensland.

Sad, but Cest la vie!

Cheers
    J

Profile photo of ajayayyarajayayyar
    Participant
    @ajayayyar

Thank you all for your comments, particularly Michael – they were most helpful.

Anyway, I recently purchased a DHA property in Castle Hill for $475k…4 bedroom townhouse..approx 2 yrs old..seemed fairly well priced…i own 50% of the property..the other 50% owned by another family member..

Hoping to generate some return by 2010 or so…which is about 5 yrs away….sit and wait i guess..

thank you all again

Profile photo of pete rpete r
    @pete-r

None of the so called experts are able to predict booms. Do you have a crystal ball?

I can always tell when a boom has happened [biggrin].

As others have said, money can be made outside of boom times in both property and shares, one just simply has to alter the strategy to suit the market.

pr

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.