All Topics / General Property / Reno Feed Back

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of turbozturboz
    @turboz

Hi All
    I am wondering if anyone has done a reno and had baging done on the outside.If so do you think it added much in perceived value?I have a property I am in the middle of Renovating has really old red bricks so I’m looking at modernising it.I also don’t want to over capitalise.So any feeded back from people who have used baging or rendering would be most appreciated.
    Thankyou
    Lisa[blink][biggrin]

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Hi Lisa,

Havn’t got experience with bagging or rendering directly but did have a similar predicament with my place. Older house with ugly yellowish bricks. We ended up just painting the bricks a colour called “mule” which is kinda greyish purple. End result, the place looks a million times better but think bagging or rendering would have been better. We were governed by dollars and cost about $100 for the paint. Not sure of the cost of rendering or bagging, although have been told that the latter is not that difficult to do yourself. Not sure of the truth in that!

Profile photo of JKMJKM
    @jkm

Hi Lisa,

We have an industrial workshop in those old red bricks & to top it off, the owners/builders thought that since it was only an industrial property they didn’t clean the bricks properly. The first thing we did when we had the spare cash was render the place. Mind you that was a few years ago & we are still arguing over the colour to paint it. Perceived value is 100%, even the neighbours commented on how the concrete colour looks better -[biggrin] One day I will really dazzle them with a colour!

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

I’ve seen plenty of places that have been rendered/bagged over crappy bricks but the render is all wrong and sometimes it comes out looking worse!

If ou do decide to go ahead, choose your colour scheme wisely!

Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

I’m renovating at the moment, almost finished. we are rendering the old brick look a like.
    It looks sensational, clean lines, fresh modern colour. Cost is not cheap about $50 a sq m.

Good tip provided by G7, colour is very important. Ring around the local paint shops to see if they have any deals going for a colour consultant and discount off your purchases. At Bristol in Melbourne I got a consultant for $75 and a 15 % discound off the paints she recommemnded.

hrm

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Lisa,

We have done this before and it came up looking great.

Rendering is much more difficult than bagging and I would not attempt DIY rendering of the outside of the premises as if may come up looking a bit worse than before as some of the others have said.

So I would go for the bagging option. To start with you need to make sure the bricks are sound. before you start make sure you wet down the wall that you are doing and do one wall at a time.

With bagging it is best to add the colour as you go so buy some coloured oxide and add it to the mix.

To maintain the colour consistency use buckets to mix the mortar so the proportions of sand, cement and oxide remain the same.

Also you will need to paint on some bondcrete and add a bit of bondcrete to the mix as you go. This will ensure that the walls remain waterproof and will stop the mortar cracking.

There are a few roll on products around that will give you a textured finish without going to all that trouble but the result on an old house may not be as good.

Good Luck

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.