All Topics / Help Needed! / fhog – and non australian residents

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of giladgilad
    @gilad

Hi,

i have a friend who has lived in Australia most of her life, but is actually swedish and does not hold Australian residency. In several months she is getting married and will need to move into a property – probably an apartment with her husband. He is also non – australian and does not hold a residency.

At the moment they intend to rent – mainly because they have not really thought about the other options. I have been thinking about it, and feel that if they were eligible for the fhog it may be a good time for them to start investing… for their future.

What are the ramifications of not holding an australian passport etc? can either of them still qualify for the fhog?

thanks,
    gilad

Profile photo of BorgInvestorBorgInvestor
    Participant
    @borginvestor

As far as I am aware at least one of them needs to be an Australian resident before they can receive the FHOG.

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi gilad

Correct me if I’m wrong but are you sure you’re not getting “residency” and “citizenship” mixed up together. From the length of time your friend has spent in Australia, it seems unlikely that she does not have Australian “residency”. And like a lot of “permanent residents” in Australia she may not have Australian citizenship.

If your friends have Australian residency, the following quote from the government website, http://www.firsthome.gov.au/ might help:

“Eligible applicants must be natural persons, who are Australian citizens or permanent residents, who are buying or building their first home in Australia.”

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.