All Topics / Opinionated! / Anyone Know About Road Construction?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of DEViNE_BRUNETDEViNE_BRUNET
    @devine_brunet

Hi Guys [biggrin]

Im Nici 22years of age in Melbourne and im your newest member [thumbsup2]

I hope im asking this question in the right place [tired]

My partner and i have just purchased a brand new house yet to be built, and the stage they are up to at the moment is the Road Construction. They have layed down the side gutters and also what i belive black cruch rock [finely crushed] These questions might sound stupid but we are new to all this so i figuered the best way to learn is to ask questions [smiling. So after the gutters have been layed [which has been now 3weeks] how long after until they lay the tar down for the road? and once the road has been layed how long until the land settles. The company we have gone through said land is expected to settle june/july [tongue.

Hoope you guys can help me out with my questions.

Look forward to hearing from you [thumbsup2]

Thank in advance.

Nici

WHAT DOESN’T KiLL ME, ONLY MAKES ME STRONGER!

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Hi Nici,

Welcome to the forum and keep the questions coming. Struggling a little with the first though.

As far as road constructions goes, sounds like they have laid the gutters and placed crushed road base (usually blue metal). normally, once they have poured the concrete for the gutters, you let it set (48 jours would do it but need around 28 days for full concrete strength.) In terms of gutters, I would think a week would be over the top. The road base is then laid in layers of coase material through to fines followed by a topping of bitumen. All layers are rolled by a compactor to get the right settlement.

When you talk of settlement, do you mean the legal process of when you get access or do you mean land settlement as in the natural process?? If the latter, I would say I need more info as it could be legit or otherwise.

What other info can you provide?

Cheers

Jan

Profile photo of DEViNE_BRUNETDEViNE_BRUNET
    @devine_brunet

Well as im new to this ill try and explain the best way as possible [biggrin]Land Settlement as in when the land settles into our name and they can start building. We went to visit the block again today and they seemed to have done work on it in the mean time, which i thought they would of since its been nice and sunny in Melbourne with no rain [biggrin]from the gutters to the raod its an inch thick so im guessing the tar for the final touch isnt far off [thumbsup2]I have attached an image below to get a better understanding on what im ravling on about.
    Hope you guys can give me some advice.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/passnby/block.jpg

Profile photo of steve3556steve3556
    @steve3556

Hi Devine

l remember being told that bitumin could not be layed properly once the ground temperature got too cold.
    This was why the road crews went quiet in the winter, if this is the case you may be waiting for warmer weather before the road is finished.

Steve

Profile photo of DEViNE_BRUNETDEViNE_BRUNET
    @devine_brunet

Then how come every week i visit the block a new layer is done [upsidedown]and the council told me the land is expected to settle in June/July. I dont think they would have gone this far and stop and wait to do the last layer in december?I dont think they would waste their time……

But then again i might be in the wrong place asking this as you guys are more into investing [biggrin]

Nici

Profile photo of MrVipMrVip
    @mrvip

Devine, i dont think you have anything to worry about. I remember seeing an old mate of mine in the rain in his contruction truck and we pulled over for a chat and he told me that they still had to lay the roads down regardless of the weather. The rain doesnt do anything to the tar as its that hot the rain just evaporates as soon as it hits the tar. unless its bukceting really hard close to hail then no they wont, but i dobut drizzzle or rain will really effect it.

My friend built his house during the winter so their you go.

Good luck with the building its all stress at the start but its worth it at the end.Keep us updated.

Damian

A guy on his horse rides into town on friday, three days later he leaves on friday, how can that be?

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

As Damian said,asphalt can be laid when it is raining,as long as the rain is running off and not pooling.With a new road,you wouldn’t expect there to be any pooling in the sub base.In new estates,what is often done is that the first layr of asphalt is layed,and the second is not done until after most of the houses have been built,to avoid damage to the surface.But if there is only 25mm between the channel and road base,it doesn’t sound like they are doing this.You wouldn’t be able to settle on your block until the infrastructure is in place.ie roads,services,crossovers etc.

Tools

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.