All Topics / Help Needed! / Renting but owner selling, should I buy & rent out

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of TommiTommi
    @tommi

Just got back home from a terrible day at work, phone rings and its the real etate agent telling me I’m going to have to move out or buy as the owner of the house is selling it.

At this stage I had to hand the phone to my g/f to finish the call…

Turning the situation on its head, instead of thinking my day has gone to worse, I’ve looked on the bright side of things so basically I’ve been forced into property investing.

Repayments judging from CBA will be 450pw, and no way in hell can I rent the place out for that! So its not cash flow postive? (I’ve bought Steve’s book 1m prop in 1yr) but I’m just starting so I’m not a property guru yet [biggrin]

Landlord wants 260k, places in the suburb are rented out upto 260pw (I’m currently paying 220pw)

If YOU where in my situation what would you do?
    [blink]

Profile photo of zucanzucan
    @zucan

I’d move out! Too heavily -ve for my liking.

Profile photo of christobellchristobell
    Participant
    @christobell
    Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

Depends on what u want to do. If u are happy paying rent then keep renting. They must give some notice to vacate, I think it’s a month in Qld, or if u have a lease they can’t kick u out.

I would not contemplate buying just because the owner wants to sell…I would buy if it’s a bargain.

The market in Qld has slowed alot, therefore it would be highly unlikely that it would sell quickly.

Also the $450 repayment per week appears very a bit steep.

Perhaps u could provide more info so that others can offer better responses.

hrm

Profile photo of JKMJKM
    @jkm

Tommi, do not be driven by fear. If this is the house of your dreams then maybe think about it. But I personally see my house as somewhere to store my junk & sleep at night. Most of my excess cash goes to investing so weigh up whether you want those repayments against what you could otherwise have in terms of investments &/or your own place… Hope that made some sense[blush2]

Profile photo of RichLeeRichLee
    @richlee

I am new to IP’s too… but wouldnt consider this as an IP, especially if it CF+ you are wanting. I guess it depends how much you like the place, if u really want to stay there, or if it will be easy to find another place. Maybe look for something else to buy that isnt quite as expensive. And they cant just kick you out on the street, so you should have time to consider your options. Good luck with the house hunting…[wink4]

Profile photo of NEWGENNEWGEN
    Participant
    @newgen

Whatever makes you happy… :)

Profile photo of TommiTommi
    @tommi

Thanks for the reply’s, looking at the property market and its hard to find a bargin that suits living in it for my repayments, actually any one know a good lending insititution that could lend upto 300k and have repayments as little as 300ish hehe [cap]

It appears the market is so mixed up at the moment, this 3bed room newish house on a tiny block is 260k or I can buy a town house next door for 245k [blink]

I think I might move to the moon and eat cheese hehe [blush2]

but on a serious note, I have 1months notice, my g/f works in Brisbane and I work on the Gold Coast, I drive she catchs public transport, I was going to move to Brisbane too however having some problems in that department at the moment.

Combined income is 70k pa and we are looking for a house in Southern Suburbs below 250k that can be lived in for a yr on a interest only loan, that I can renovate on weekends and increase the equity, then end of year, sell use profits to purchase another property hopefully better.

Any ideas or sugguestions

Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

Hi
    Make use of the First Home Owners Grant if u qualify.

Girlfriend…Perhaps u both could buy a duplex side by side, each gettimg the FHOG, share with room renters.????????

good luck

hrm

Profile photo of HC_2HC_2
    @hc_2

We were in a similar predicament a couple of years ago but had only just started saving a deposit so had to move out. In the end this was the best thing to do. It made us focus on our deposit saving, and we bought a little house for a great price in a fantastic position. We’ve been able to live in it for the past two years, and are now doing an extension and renovating using the huge accumulated equity, result of the recent property ‘boom’. We then plan on revaluing and commencing our investment plan. Make a well considered plan and stick to it, be open to opportunities, but don’t ‘knee-jerk’javascript:insertsmilie(‘[biggrin]’)
    Big Grin [biggrin]

Helen

Profile photo of Brady5Brady5
    Participant
    @brady5

You havent mentioned how many bedrooms the property has!!

I assume you and the g/f are sharing a room ( otherwise you would be man and wife !! ), so what of the other bedroom!! This would have to rent for how much per week/month/furnished/unfurnished/with meals provided or without/ with laundry done or not/ with English lessons after 6 pm for 2 hours.

God forbid if there were 2 spare bedrooms plus study!!

Get creative and make this situation WORK for you and your future

Please dont tell me that same story about ” not fitting into our quality of life”, you are capable of purchasing this property for your financial future if you consider all options.

If this is all too hard, then the best of luck, and I mean NO DISRESPECT but with your combined salaries, you need to think OUTSIDE the box.

Sincere best wishes.

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

yeah, I would move out and secure a lease at another property and then invest in a higher yielding investment. Seems like a lazy way to find an IP.

Cheers

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of CoopsTCoopsT
    Participant
    @coopst

i like mackays idea of working something with the girlfriend so u both get the FHOG…when my now wife and i bought our first place 2yrs ago we were both on the title so only got one grant….bugger!!!

cheers

coops

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.