All Topics / General Property / WSJ reporter looking for people to interview

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of bartap1bartap1
    Participant
    @bartap1

Hi, I am a Bangkok-based staff reporter for The Wall Street Journal, the U.S. business/economics newspaper. I cover regional economic news in Asia/Australia and I’m currently researching an article about the Australian property market. I’m looking for property owners/investors to interview (primarily in Sydney but also in other parts of Australia) who are willing to share thoughts (and potentially be quoted) re. the state of the Australian RESIDENTIAL real estate market. Basically, we’re trying to get a better read on sentiment right now – ie., are most investors optimistic despite the recent slowdown in activity? Or are many investors now concerned about the market? We’d especially like to interview investors who bought in to the market over the last two years, though anyone who’s willing to chat is welcome to reply. Best, WSJ reporter

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

bartap,

It might be better if you identify yourself a bit more. On here, most people are anonymous, but a reporter for the WSJ is a big call, so people might want to know you are who you say you are, before they give you their time.

So, who are ya? Here’s a deal for you: you tell, and I’ll google [biggrin]

kay henry

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b
    Profile photo of bartap1bartap1
    Participant
    @bartap1

hi, thanks, the name is Patrick Barta. I’d prefer to keep email/phone # etc. offline to avoid potential spam but i’m happy to provide all these details etc. individually as needed… best, pb

Profile photo of dmichiedmichie
    @dmichie

Patrick, this is a pretty representative thread about the state of the market:

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic/17947.html

My view (in brief):
    – Not all cities the same, east coast markets have slowed with prices slowly drifting down, while Perth continues to boom.
    – Volumes down sharply in east coast markets
    – Properties take longer to sell in east coast markets
    – Auction clearance rates around 50% (or below) in most east coast markets
    – Barring some major shock to the economy, most analysts/economists expect market to stagnate for a decade or longer. i.e. no sudden crash.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Heya Patrick- welcome here and thanks :)

kay henry

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

If you want to be like all other reporters, talk to dmichie. You will end up with your typical run of the mill negative story about the state of the property market.

Personally, I think you should do a positive story talking to some of the more successful investors who make money in all markets and can find those jewels in the rough. There are always great opportunities for those who seek them.

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi Patrick,
    for a comprehensive, full, wound up review for all of today’s current property/economic climate, feel free to pm me. Now it’s back over to Rob and Dmichie for tonight’s weather.
    Cheers,
    Gatsby.

“Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is often the best thing to do.”

Profile photo of Endless SummerEndless Summer
    @endless-summer

Patrick,
    regarding the state of the real estate market in the words of my mum (who lives in a middle ring suburb of Melbourne) ‘nothing is moving here, not even the leaves’. I think that somes it up.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.