All Topics / Overseas Deals / Loans for NZ property

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of PDBoscoPDBosco
    @pdbosco

As an investor from OZ I was wondering what the situation is in relation to getting loans for NZ properties. Am I able to get a loan through my normal lender here for a property across the Tasman.
    I have read in other posts that OZinvestors are in a better position to invest than kiwis. Is this due to our interest rates being lower. If so what is the current kiwi interest rate.
    Ben
    Born in Christchurch but calling OZ home for past 25 years.

Profile photo of MMajorMMajor
    @mmajor

Ben

As far as I understand, Aussie lenders don’t lend to IPs purchased in NZ.

However, NZ lenders do lend to Aussies investors for 20% deposit and regular income. Likes of BNZ, ANZ, all lend in NZ.

MMajor

Profile photo of davecurrandavecurran
    @davecurran

Hi Ben

I am a mortgage broker here in Australia, and we are able to provide finance for New Zealand property. If I can be of help please email me on
    [email protected], or call on 0408470901

regards

Dave

Profile photo of SineadSinead
    @sinead

I attended Steve’s seminar in Auckland yesterday and he said that he and Dave have used NZ lenders for NZ properties to avoid the exchange rate risk. Because they are not NZ residents he said that the banks will only lend on 70% LVR.

Profile photo of ayenayen
    Participant
    @ayen

Hi,

NZ lenders will lend 80%LVR (I have even heard 90%LVR). But one thing I have discovered is that they will discount your Aussie income before putting it into their servicability formulas. For example if you are an Aussie earning the equivalent of NZD50k they will only count NZD40k of it when they calculate servicability. Whereas if you are a Kiwi earning NZD50k they will count the lot when calculating servicability.

There may be exceptions – I am still looking (anyone?)

Andrew

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Hi all,
    Questions regarding NZ finance arises on this forum from time to time, I hope the following information helps to clarify and clear up a few inaccuracies.

Security for NZ finance.
    Australian credit providers/banks will not take an NZ property/title as security over a loan,
    However, if you have equity in Australian based assets you could theoretically use those funds to purchase NZ property outright, (i.e. the NZ property would be unencumbered) I am not suggesting anyone should do this, as this method of financing NZ investments would diminish Australian based equity at a faster rate and possibly hinder acquisitions of any further investments.
    (In short, you may run out of funds for deposits on future IP’s)

The vast majority of my Australian clients use available equity in Australian held assets to fund the 20% or 30% deposit on there NZ investments, with an NZ based credit provider/bank funding the remaining 80% to 90% with the NZ property/title held as security over the mortgage.
    (Basically, borrow 80% or 90% from NZ credit provider/bank and the remaining 20% or 30% sourced from either savings or equity via an Australian credit provider/bank)

Servicing/qualifying for NZ finance.
    The qualifying criteria for NZ finance is pretty much the same as qualifying for Australian finance, you will be assessed on income and liabilities, Income may include return on investments, i.e. rental income both Australian and foreign,
    Most NZ lenders will also include any proposed rental income from a proposed NZ purchase, a rental assessment from an estate agent or property valuer will be required for this,
    Any current or proposed rental income will be assessed at approx. 70% or 80% of gross depending on the NZ credit provider/bank,
    All liabilities debt, current loans including credit card limits etc will be taken into account when assessing an applicant’s borrowing capacity.

Arranging NZ finance.
    These days there are more Australian based mortgage brokers with access to NZ products/credit providers for non NZ residents, or you can apply direct with an NZ credit provider/bank or an NZ based mortgage broker, I would suggest a conditional pre approval be the first step.

Loan to Value Ratio.
    The majority of NZ credit providers/banks will lend to 80% LVR for non NZ residents, some will lend 90% subject to the mortgage insurers criteria, this is usually defined by location etc, keep in mind LMI applies over 80% LVR.

NZ Power of attorney.
    It is a requirement of most NZ credit providers/banks for non-NZ residents to appoint a power of attorney; most NZ solicitors are prepared to do this.

Regards
    Steven Crane
    Mortgage Broker

Mobile Mortgage Market
    Ph: 0402 483 216
    [email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au

PLEASE note comments made should not be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice.

Profile photo of kiwipropertykiwiproperty
    @kiwiproperty

Steven is spot on with his advice.

And our NZ investments are stand alone – all funds are sourced via a NZ broker who is absolutely excellent at getting money for Aussies.

Now in all fairness it does also have a little to do with your NZ investment structure, and how geared up your portfolios are.

Our experience is that if you are 80% LVR or under and 80% of the rent for those properties will cover the mortgage repayments then it’s fairly straight forward to organise.

If you’re in the need then we can highly recommend that you have a chat with Bruce Patten of Designer Mortgages on [email protected]

Bruce is based out of Auckland but like all good mortgage brokers he can get finance on properties all over NZ.

Sigrid de Castella & Antony Anderson

http://www.kiwiproperty.biz
    New book “The Guide to New Zealand Property Investing – Australian Edition”
    Available at our web site along with other NZ Resources for Australian Investors

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.