All Topics / Help Needed! / Furnishing an apartment in South Melbourne

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of JenDJenD
    Participant
    @jend

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone out there is renting out a furnished apartment in South Melbourne (or similar area) and what their success rate has been? My partner and I recently purchased an apartment in South Melbourne and were thinking of furnishing it, it seems that $100/week more is achieved by leasing a furnished apartment in the area – I’m looking for anyone’s success or failure stories of trying to do the same thing??

Thanks for your help, again!!

Cheers, Jen [biggrin]

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Everything is based on demand and supply. The problem with furnishing an apartment is that you actually limit your market. The sort of people who rent furnished apartments tend to be from overseas or interstate. Most of these people arrive in early January. Offer the option by all means but do not lock yourself in. Also offer other options. Is it air conditioned. Ask if they need anything. Then offer to supply the items for a better rent on a longer term. Do this rather than move ahead and furnish the property.

Nigel Kibel

http://www.propertyknowhow.com.au

Australian and New Zealand Buyers advocate
    service and seminars

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

Hi,

From my experience furniture paks tend to be expensive to maintain.

I suggest u check out the web (for rent)or the Saturday Age to see what u may get for a furnished property versus unfurnished, or talk to a few agents.

Also, much easier for tennants to leave when they only have to pack a suitecase or two.

You may be able to increase rent if you provide extras, ie dish washer, clothes dryer, air con, internet access, etc. Maybe your tennant to be does not need a carpark. You could rent to other tennant in the same complex.

Hope this helps and good luck.

hrm

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.