All Topics / Help Needed! / Subdivision

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of QAQA
    Participant
    @qa

I have a property in Cairns on a residential block of land. Do I speak to the local council about subdivision rules?

Profile photo of BlackKatanaBlackKatana
    Participant
    @blackkatana

As far as i know, every council, shire etc. has different rules for subdivisions and they are the ones who will approve the subdivision so they are the people to talk to.

Profile photo of Hope_2Hope_2
    @hope_2

Yes, you need to speak to the local council about subdivision as each council has different rules.

Speak to someone in the planning department.
    Have all relevant documents with you when discussing the issue.

Hope

Libby Phan

Profile photo of gnjgnj
    @gnj

I was at the Perth property masterclass yesterday and John & Rondah (who were part of Steve’e MAP) have built a portfolio of $2.6M in 1 year using a system for property development.
    John suggested that you need to really understand the local council rules well & also HOW the council itself works, so remember to ask that too.

Cheers
    Jules

Profile photo of andrew8andrew8
    Participant
    @andrew8

In NSW, councils publish LEPs (local envirnoment plans) and DCPs (development control plans) which communicate their subdivision policies.

The webpage
    http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/council/index.html
    says
    “The council provides facilities, services and administers regulations, which enhance the lifestyle and wellbeing of a diverse community.

These include:
    – Building, subdivision and development approval.
    etc.”

So, I would ask them for the guiding documents.

Also, look at
    http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/council/cairns_plan/introduction.html

Profile photo of jebrojebro
    @jebro

Hi,
    I’m in WA but I’m sure the principle would be the same In Queensland. I’m just starting my first sub-division and yes it is important to know what each individual Council will or won’t approve and to get this information before you submit your application. I didn’t have any problem with my application, but it still took 3 months to get approved ! Why? Because this Council have a reputation for just being very slow. I helped having that knowledge as well! Good luck.

All the best
    Jenny

J L Smith

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

We live in Cairns and have enquired about sub-dividing a property. Yes, you do need to contact council – the town planning section. Approval will be subject to many things including zoning of other properties in the area, the masterplan for the suburb and impact.
    If you live in Cairns I suggest you go into the council office, they are very helpful at the desk.
    Good luck.
    Natasha

Profile photo of QAQA
    Participant
    @qa

Thanks to everyone for the reply’s. A trip to the council it is to check local subdvision rules…
    Hi Ho off to work I go

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.