All Topics / Opinionated! / Watered down education

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of obiwanobiwan
    @obiwan

Education needs to be balanced with experience and the cost. I have 2 masters degrees and I think the second one was unnecessary. Well maybe it wasn’t. But they are worth less now than they used to be and cost more these days.

Back in the 80’s you could flash around an MAF or MBA and be guaranteed of a nice position. These days there are a lot of youngsters with these qualifications and no experience and the piece of paper is musch less useful because everyone has one.

ditto and even more so with undergrad degrees.

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Obiwan,
    I am afraid I agree with you. I know it’s been my choice (re:degrees) but I’m more qualified than my managers are and I don’t wish to become a manager in my field due to the politics and I still won’t be able to apply what I learned. I think the thing about Uni education is that the real benefit is that it teaches you to think lateraly in life. I think any benefit I’ve gained from Uni has been ‘outside of employment’ more than anything.
    Cheers,
    Gatsby.

“Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is often the best thing to do.”

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

This thread is reminding me of the saying “Be sure that the top of the corporate ladder that you are climbing is leaning against the wall that you want it to.”

Often we find we jump through all of these hoops to get a job and climb up the totem pole, only to discover later in life, that we aren’t satisfied or disillusioned with, where we end up.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Spot on Dazzling. The problem once you reach the top of that ladder is, if it is not to your liking and another ladder is more appealing, often you have to start from the bottom rung again. Most people are not willing to take that plunge in seniority or salary and are willing to continue pursuing a career that they donot actually like.

I went to Uni straight out of High School which is something I probably would not do now. At 18 many people have absolutely no idea of what they want to do (now 32 and starting to get an idea!) 20/20 hindsight!!

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.