All Topics / Help Needed! / body corporate responsibilites for balcony

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of variablevariable
    @variable

Hi all,

I have a unit at the moment that has a structural problem. the balcony has seperated from the building itself. this is a ground floor unit, and the slab that is the balcony has sunk, pulling it from the wall.

I assumed that i was stuck with it, as i should have noticed when i was purchasing (error 20 of 3002 with this unit) but i recently noticed in the body corporate meeting minutes that they fixed a crack in an external wall for another unit.

which got me to thinking, can i stick the body corporate with the bill??

any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks

Kieran

—-
    What we do in life, echoes into eternity

Profile photo of WakeWake
    Participant
    @wake

Hi Keiran

What state is the unit in?

wake

Profile photo of variablevariable
    @variable

i am not sure i understand that question

the whole block is in a decent state, the unit itself inside i would rate as good, the balcony is usable, but a big negative if i wanted to sell – it has seperated from the wall by over an inch at the railing – but you can stand on it

Kieran

—-

Participant
    @wake

Sorry – I meant state as in NSW, QLD?

Wake

@variable

lol, sorry

NSW

—-

Participant
    @wake

Hi Keiran

After I sent the post I realised it was ambiguous!If your strata plan was registered anytime after 1973, then it is likely that your problem should be referred to the owners corporation. In most cases, the exterior wall of the unit and the balcony slab and wall are common property. The easiest way to confirm this is to ask your strata manager, or to read a copy of your strata plan, but you might need help interpreting it.

So it looks like you probably can “stick the body corporate with the bill” (but don’t forget that YOU are part of the owners corp).

You can breathe easier!

Wake

@variable

so let me make sure i got this right (i like to check things NUMEROUS times now)

the slab and the wall on the outside are considered common property (most likely)

i can stick the body corp with the bill of fixing the problem

BUT there is a possibility that it will come back as special levies??

if so, then i will probably wait till i am closer to selling ;)

thanks for your help

Kieran

—-

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

In almost every Strata I have seen, walls, floors, ceilings, internal cavities and common areas are the responsibility of the Strata. It will not cost much by means of special levy if there are a lot of units. There may even be enough in the sinking fund to not cost anyone any extra.

Read the Strata reports.

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

@variable

excellent news – this unit is seeming less like a dump with each post! :)

thanks for all your help guys

Kieran

—-

Profile photo of dee berrydee berry
    @dee-berry

Hi Kieran,

Great to see you are looking at geting the body corp to pay for the balcony damage as it sounds like structural damange to the building regardless of if it was there before or after you brought the property. I own 3 strata properties in Perth and have great success in getting the body corp to pay UP!(it has taken some time though) I recently has a bedroom window frame replaced as the window wasn’t sliding correctly, it wasn’t the rollers, then a shower screen replaced and I paid the extra to upgrade, also a crack in the bathroom window has been replaced with new glass and the old fan taken out and another crack to another window, which has saved me about $1,500. I must add I just thought logically and wondered why should I pay for these damages when I pay huge strata fees. Keep plugging away at the body corp. All the best.
    Dee

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.