All Topics / Help Needed! / Taking the Plunge

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of zucanzucan
    @zucan

I’m really interested in buying an IP, have read the books. My job dictates I move around a lot. Want to take the plunge just not sure where or whether I should look at commercial or residential. I think I’d want to start small due to the fact I only have about 40k. Anyone have any helpful insight. Have thought about paying a spotter for first one. Keen to hear some feedback.
    regards

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Typically residential is where most people start. It is thought to be cheaper to enter with lower deposits and less risky.

$40K is a substantial deposit. Your limitation to buying a decent residential property will be your serviceability or income. It will also depend on the location. You will obviously get something very different in Sydney vs Perth for example.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

Hi Zucan

These are just my thoughts on the questions you have asked. I have been investing for about 18 months and have only residential properties to date.

Commercial property has higher returns but also higher risks. I have found that the location of commercial property makes all the difference in assessing risk management. Unless you know an area inside out, I would avoid commercial because it could sit untenanted for a very long time – meaning that its not a very good investment!

There are lots of trick and traps involved in commercial property. I do not yet feel comfortable brancing out, which is why I stick with residential at the moment. My aim is to buy commercial property in the future though.

Also, most banks will only lend 70% on a commercial property. So unless you have equity elsewhere, $40k will not get you very far.

One of the most valuable things we purchased (apart from Steve’s first book) was his Buyer Beware package. We use the property analysis template for every property we look at. If we have looked at a stack of properties over a very short time, it is an excellent way to remember the strengths and weaknesses of every property (because it is easy to be emotionally swayed by a property!). Jarad fills out each of the reports for consistency and it makes sure that we are comparing apples with apples.

Congratulations. It’s an exciting journey.

Karen

Profile photo of Mark GriffithsMark Griffiths
    @mark-griffiths

Zucan my partner and I are in the same boat. We $120,000 to begin investing with. Our goal is to finsd and purchase 3 IP’s in the next month or so.We are living in the south east Queensland area and appreciate any good advise we can l;ay our hands on. We to have read the books and are excited and eager to begin.We are finding it hard though to find properties at a price where positive cashflow is gained.
    MG

Profile photo of zucanzucan
    @zucan

Thanks everyone for the replies. Next step is to find out how much I can borrow and then I’ll know where to look. Has anyone gone in first with a spotter or taken a chance themselves.

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b
    Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

I’m constantly amazed and quietly encouraged by the number of investors who have no experience in, yet claim that commercial property investing is somehow riskier that RIP’s.

None are risk free…if you want that…bank accounts are your ticket…

I believe all props have different risks, you just need to slot them into your risk profile and knowledge / comfort base and see how they fit.

I first heard / read about the big bad nasty risk theories about CIP’s from a Jan Somers book back in the early 90’s, (and for the next 10 years foolishly swallowed it all) but then she qualified her statement by saying that she did know quite a few people who made money from them, but felt she was successful with her RIP fruit cake strategy and saw no need to change her recipe. I have no problem with that statement other than she has little to no practical investing basis on which to claim these risks eventuate – specifically relating to her owning CIP’s.

Hopefully everyone that reads her books also follows her advice, and leaves all of the great CIP’s for me.

For me it’s quite clear, choosing between Mr and Mrs Low Income, signed up for 6 months on a 3% gross yield vs Fed / State Govt / National tenant signed up for 10 yrs on a 9% nett yield…hmmm, I’ve already decided which one is riskier to my overall financial well being.

It was painful (time studying, planning / and educating myself – debunking 10 years of ingrained baseless beliefs) expanding my comfort zone to incorporate the different ‘ballgame’, but with sensible risk strategies in place, extremely thorough due diligence process on both the particular details of the lease and the tenant, I believe the pain was well worth it.

Releasing myself from the shackles of the RTA has been very refreshing, and eliminated alot of the general risks associated with RIP’s, which regularly appear on this forum as questions from the residential only forumites.

I’ll never go back to RIP’s. Each to his own though. CIP’s may not be your cup of tea…and that’s fine too.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

@robbie-b

Dazz, regarding risk profiles, these are not only a reality but they are entrenched in various legislative documents.

If you are seriously telling me that commercial investment property is lesk risky than residential investment property, I would say you need to go back and learn more. The yields are higher for a reason. Higher yields do not equate to lower risk.

If you could show me with supporting evidence that the number of commercial tenants in Australia are higher (or even close to) than those renting residential properties, I will eat my computer and never post in this forum again.

Lower demand equals higher risk!!!

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

[biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]Now there’s a challenge…but then the reward is so alluring and attractive how could any reasonable person refuse.

The only insurmountable problem is Rob, your opinion will be the sole judge…and therefore doomed before it starts.[biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Thanks but no thanks.

Rather than talk generalities though about risk / reward, I would however enjoy to hear your specific CIP experiences.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

@robbie-b

Dazz, I think you are missing the point. Regardless of experience, commercial property is a riskier investment when compared to residential. Experience and knowledge just helps an individual control that risk better than others as I outlined regarding shares.

If you believe my opinion as the sole judge is an issue, pick someone you trust to make the decision. You seem to think you could show a greater demand for commercial property so it is in your interest. Remember, supporting evidence is required (ie: Government stats).

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of plpropertyplproperty
    @plproperty

zucan,

You could also try real estate agencies and scouring websites like domain.com.au for the right property for your circumstances.

I say be wary of spotters. A licenced real estate agent should be well trained and is bound by law to provide a fair professional service.

Good luck!

Luke Woollard
    Licensee
    Pacific Lifestyle Property
    http://www.plproperty.com.au

Profile photo of LuciLuci
    @luci
    Originally posted by plproperty:

I say be wary of spotters. A licenced real estate agent should be well trained and is bound by law to provide a fair professional service.

Real estate agents represent vendors, not buyers. They are salespeople and have a duty to try and sell the property on their list – which may not necessarily be the best property for you.

Certainly let them know what you are looking for, and ask them to let you know if something appropriate comes up, but do your own research and don’t take their word at face value.

I haven’t looked into commercial realestate – residential is obviously a more familiar option and therefor more comfortable. Couple of specifically commercial property sites you can check out (haven’t explored them extensively, so not sure which are best)…

http://www.commercialrealestate.com.au
    http://www.propertylook.com.au
    http://www.commercialpriceguide.com.au

Profile photo of jasaljasal
    @jasal

Do have an existing property ? We`have just done an equity loan to put down as deposits on 2 more properties. Our existing property valued at 209k, we owe 90k, now borrowing another 50k in equity. We are using someone this time as it is the first time we will have more than one property. His fees are tax deductible, so go for it and use someone to help. If you can find someone who will explain the do’s, don’ts, why’s and why nots cos there is so much to learn when you are starting out.

Profile photo of zucanzucan
    @zucan

Yes Jasal, that’s exactly how I feel. Their is so much to know and learn, I’m thinking about paying the additional cost and getting a buyers agent to assist me. I’d like my first property to be in Adelaide, simply because I have family there and go back regularly. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Profile photo of kiwipropertykiwiproperty
    @kiwiproperty

Hi Zucan

There are some great buyers agents around like Nigel Kibel of Property Know How or Karin MacKay of Australian Property Buyers (both in Melbourne but they buy all over Australia and Nigel in NZ). These two are reputable and will tell you upfront whether they han help you.

Whilst research and due diligence are incredibly important so is your need to identify your investment goals. Have you thought about these?

Are you looking for capital growth or yield? If yield, what percent is your minimum requirement? If capital growth is your aim, then how much over what period of time?

If both then what conbination?

Is this a long term or short term investment for you? Do you want to Buy and Hold, Buy and rennovate, etc.

How are you buying? In your own name, company or trust structure? What are the tax implications of doing this if you make a profit? What if you make a loss?

So, I’m not trying to freak you out here just saying that your investment criteria is an incredibly important foundation to you making the best investment decision for you in order to reach your goals.

Wishing you good luck and happy investing (although luck BTW is only where prior preparation meets opportunity!).

Sigrid de Castella & Antony Anderson

http://www.kiwiproperty.biz
    New book “The Guide to New Zealand Property Investing – Australian Edition”
    Available at our web site along with other NZ Resources for Australian Investors

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

Hey Zucan,

Go The Commercial!
    Dont let anyone tell you no!
    I do both and hands down have found commercial better.
    Just maybe look at regional areas to start with if you dont have equity,but if you have dont be scared just do yr research thoroughly!

Regards Dematio

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.