All Topics / General Property / Housing market correction tipped to end

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Hot off the AAP Press:

Housing market correction tipped to end
    02/06/2005 01:48:22 PM

The housing market is still slowing but the correction phase of the cycle is coming to an end, economists said.
    The Australian Bureau of Statistics said building approvals in Australia rose 1.8 per cent to 12,559 units in April, seasonally adjusted, from an upwardly revised 12,334 units in March.

In the year to April, building approvals fell 15.3 per cent.

UBS chief economist Scott Haslem said the data showed only a minor recovery from the 5.3 per cent fall in March.
    “Approvals for private houses rose 0.2 per cent, which was the same as last month, while there was a 9.6 per cent rebound in medium-density dwellings after last month’s 21.2 per cent fall,” Mr Haslem said.
    “The building approvals data is consistent with a 143,000 commencements pace, down from a 180,000 pace at the end of 2003.
    “As we target about 137,000 for the trough, we are only looking for another 5 per cent fall, and we believe the housing correction is closer to the end than the beginning.
    “We continue to look for an unchanged cash rate over the coming six months.”
    RBC Capital Markets senior economist Michael Every said the fall in year on year terms of building approvals of 15.3 per cent is an improvement from the 19.1 per cent fall in March.
    “Even so, a modest bounce from the rate-hike induced drop (in building approvals) in March was always a strong likelihood,” he said.

He said the building approvals still point to an overall trend decline in housing, which is in line with lower retail spending.

“This is given the link between the housing boom and consumer sentiment over recent years,” he said.

JP Morgan economist Jarrod Kerr said building approvals delivered a “dead cat bounce” in April.

“The data highlights that Australia’s housing market remains in correction mode, and that it is adjusting for the oversupply introduced in the past three years,” Mr Kerr said.
    “We expect further falls in building approvals through 2005 and into 2006 as house construction cools.”

Link Here

This can only be good news! Check out the headline! “Housing market correction tipped to end”

Proof-positive of positive-power.
    [thumbsupanim]
    Woot! Foundation-Hyde[cowboy2]

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

F,

Must be true if all of those very highly respected Economists say so…and if it’s in the newspaper then that’s the clincher.

Can I now drop my Due Diligence procedures and jump right in again ??

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

F – can you check that link please?

tipped to end? must have blinked and missed it. Once again they have interchanged Sydney and the entirety of Australia as one market.

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

John Carroll

Profile photo of carlincarlin
    Participant
    @carlin

Correction has barely begun here in Adelaide, so how can it be tipped to end?

Or are we indeed just talking about Sydney again (although even here I’m confused. One day I’m reading the Sydney market’s not likely to recover until 2008, the next it’s already on the mend. Who to believe in all this crystal ball gazing????)

Carlin

Profile photo of ian_from_brisbaneian_from_brisbane
    @ian_from_brisbane

Good news?! It depends what your position is! I still haven’t had a chance to buy up the bargains yet so I hope the market doesn’t scream ahead before I’ve done that!

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Before any boom correction can be called we need a body.

When we have a major builder/Mezzanine finacier
    preferably one called “Aussie family property reserve ..safe as houses Ltd.” bomb out we will be close otherwise we are just shuffling slowly down.

Everyone I talk to in Sydney is negative, although the papers seemed to indicate that ppl are snapping up bargain cottages in Mosman.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.