All Topics / General Property / Annoyed with R/E agent not waiting for my offer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of babu88babu88
    Participant
    @babu88

I don’t know what you would think of this, but I am very annoyed. I saw 2 strata units for sale (one front and one back – same vendors) which I told the selling agent that I would be interested in buying both of them. They were being marketed together as 2 separate units. I told the agent as soon as I got the loan approval from the bank (promised in a few days) I would put in an offer for both units. I knew that people were interested in the front unit but not the back one. A few days later the agent phoned to say that she had an offer for the front unit. I said I would put my offer in for both the next day. Then she phoned to say that she had a new listing of another 2 units (brand new) which she thought would be much better value for me! I asked what happened to the one I was interested in. She said the front unit was sold, only the back one left! I was disappointed but nothing I could do. Then she kept pushing the other 2 units for me to buy. She sent me the details and I did a search on the internet and found that the new properties had been listed by another agent for a while. I asked her why she is pushing me to buy something that belongs to another agent’s listing. She said because the properties are now multi-listed. Anyway, I looked at what she sent on the new properties and did not like them so I told her not interested. My conclusions about this agent are: (i) she probably sold the property I was interested in to friends or associates (the property was quite nice), because whenever I pushed her for answers on this she kept quiet; (ii) I suspected she did not tell the vendors about me interesting in buying both units. Now the vendors are left with a difficult unit to sell; (iii) she thinks I am stupid because I am from interstate and so she tried to bait me to buy some expensive property.

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

babu,
    you have presented a lot of suppositions and allegations.
    Sounds like most are hard to prove.

Best thing for you to do is move on and find something else.
    No sense getting hot and bothered over something you have no control over.

kp

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

In defence of agents, if they waited for everyone who said they will get back to them when finance is approved, they would never sell anything. Why did you not just put in an offer subject to finance approval?

As for the agent not telling you who bought the unit, I would be disappointed if she did. It is a breach of the Privacy Act to divulge this information.

If I was her, I would not have told the vendors about your interest either. Without a firm offer, your interest may never amount to anything. When buying property, if it is not in writing, it is nothing!

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

when the market is running as hot as it is now you can’t afford to get your finance approval first, in fact in any market iti is risky if you realy want the property… just secure the deal then try your best to get finance. The agent needs to work in the interests of the vendor and – hopefully – did what they felt was right at the time. Whilst working in suburban real estate as a REA I too have had red hot verbal offers from keen buyers to buy property one day, then the next their circumstances mysteriously change. It’s crushing and teaches you one thing: unless it’s on paper it really is all just banter.

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

John Carroll

@robbie-b

John, the problem with just securing a deal in some States is that ‘subject to finance’ clauses are not standard. I always write them in where required.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of babu88babu88
    Participant
    @babu88

Thanks for all your replies and some good advices. I’ll know what to do when I find the next lot of properties – particularly now I have secured finance in place. The thing I was most annoyed about was that the agent kept pushing one set of particular properties (been on the market for months) to get me interested and I told her I had no interest in them whatsoever. Yet, she said things like if she had the money she would buy these instead of the ones I missed out on!

@robbie-b

They are salespeople. It is their job to try and sell to you.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.