All Topics / Finance / Mortgage Brokers – A dying breed!

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

As many of you know, I have made the decision to cease mortgage broking and turn my focus solely to mortgage advising. I just received a phone call about another issue with one of the last loans I am processing and thought I should share it as it supports my decision to stop processing the loans and choosing to refer the processing to other brokers. Brokers would certainly be interested but I also thought others would like to see how things happen on the other side of the fence.

In NSW (and VIC), there is a document called the FBC (Finance Brokers Contract). This is not actually a contract but a full disclosure and undertakings document provided to borrowers when dealing with consumer loans. It is great for the borrower but it is another example of over-regulation and unnecessary expense incurred by the broker instead of having a single set of national licensing regulations.

Anyway, I completed one of these for my clients who were refinancing a loan. In it, a facility was stated which is what they wanted. It included an Offset account and additional funding to use for future investment which was to be immediately transferred and used by them in another loan they had at a higher interest rate to offset this expense. The rate on the other loan was 7.55%. The loan settled last week and everyone seemed happy.

A few days later, I received a call from the clients asking where the additional funds were. I began my enquiries which is difficult for a broker after settlement as the lenders cannot divulge much due to Privacy restrictions. The new lender initially stated the funds were in an account available for redraw. I informed the clients and thought that was that.

A few hours later, I received another call from the clients who were a little upset. They called to redraw the funds and were told they could not as the additional funds were put back into the fixed loan and not available for redraw until the end of the term. I got involved again.

When I called, the lender told me that the funds were not in the loan account and they did not know where they were. I explained that the disbursement sheet told them to send the funds to the clients offset account with the other lender and that I would be falling back on this. They began their enquiries (a few supervisors and a BDM got involved).

I just got the call from the lender telling me that they have the disbursement sheet with a receipt for a cheque for the additional funds from the other lender. The other lender apparently told them that they could not deposit the funds in Queensland (where the settlement took place) and the cheque had to be forwarded to their Sydney office. Somewhere in between, the cheque disappeared and they did not think to tell anyone.

Now the initial lender is sending a letter to the clients which requires signing and the original to be returned before a new cheque will be issued directly to them which they will have to take and deposit and wait a few days for it to clear.

How this adversely affects me is that I gave some undertakings in the required FBC about this structure and agreed on settlement dates etc as is required. This did not happen and was totally out of my control. The clients are losing about $21 per day due to this mistake and I have to wear it and try and recover the funds from whoever will accept responsibility for this (no-one will!). Also, the additional and unnecessary hours I have spent following this up has also cost me a lot.

Why I am paying it out of my pocket??? The client has the right to sue me for any losses they incur as a result of the FBC outlining the structure they were to obtain which did not eventuate from the day of settlement. If I did not pay and the clients complained, it would cost me even more to respond to the complaint through expensive compulsory dispute resolution mechanisms enforced on brokers.

It is just getting ridiculous!!!

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of neo25x5neo25x5
    @neo25x5

its a shame that the banks/finance providers are welcoming brokers in through one door and perhaps kicking you out the other, in other words making the client/broker relationship very difficult indeed. i would have thought that the brokers had a fair amount of leverage with the banks etc.?

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

They do not have much leverage as the representative bodies of brokers also represent the lenders. As the lenders love throwing their money around, it seems they are represented in a far superior manner. This leaves brokers to operate independently and there is no strength without numbers.

Legislation is being heavily implemented directed at brokers while being relaxed against lenders. This increases the cost of operating to the broker while at the same time, lenders are reducing the commissions. The representatives do not prevent the reducing commissions or fight the cumbersome legislation.

It is interesting that the representatives are now fighting against UCCC requirements that pose a burden on lenders regarding comparison rates. This does not affect brokers and is typical of their direction.

Brokers have to wear it and be nice or face losing their accreditations or industry membership.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of LuciLuci
    @luci

Dealing with banks, whether as a broker (as yourself) or as an individual (such as myself), is often stress-filled. The problem? We need banks, but the systems they have in place are often inconvenient and disrespectful to customers. I wouldn’t want to be a mortgage broker for all the world.

My own tale of horror? Developed a good working relationship with a mobile lender who gave loan pre-approval. I found a property for significantly less $ than the pre-approval amount, signed contract thinking all was well. Recontacted mobile lender to find that he was away on sick leave, not expected back for many months. My case was transfered to an office a couple suburbs over from me (not my nearest) and ignored for a couple weeks, despite several phone calls.

Then my case was transfered to a different office, in a suburb far away from me – in fact a suburb I had never been to, had no interest in going to, and have never been since. (When initially we signed with a mobile lender because it was difficult to get to an office during open hours!)

We asked the case officer if he needed any more paperwork from us to officially approve the loan (that we already had pre-approval for). He assured us he had all the paperwork. When we didn’t hear back, we recontacted him – wanting to make sure everything was okay. He said he couldn’t approve the loan. Why not? He decided he would need a bigger deposit – even though the property was $35,000 cheaper than what we had pre-approval for, and the house had been valued at more than we were paying! This was only a month after gaining pre-approval and our financial situation had not changed.

We were sure there was something missing in his paperwork. How could two people from the same bank come up with such vastly different figures? After many many phone calls and headaches we finally worked out which peice of paperwork he didn’t have (and had previously said he didn’t need) and we gained approval, but had to put in a bit more $ upfront as extra security.

Not very happy with the outcome, but stressed out of our minds with the settlement date close approaching, we agreed. He sent us through the final paperwork for us to sign – and he had made several mistakes on details that we had reiterated multiple times, including the loan package (with offset account and reduced interest).

Finally we sorted it all out – but after huge stress and a waste of time. Unfortunately, loan approval is not where the bank relationship ends.

The bank then gave us huge headaches with afterloan service – mailing out one set of bank cards to my partner at our home address, but holding my bank cards at the bank office far far away from where we live. Many many phone calls to find out what’s going on (because they hadn’t turned up in the mail and we didn’t know where they were)- first couple of people didn’t know anything and said they’d get back to me or someone would get back to me, move higher up the chain to someone who is investigating the matter, finally talk to head honcho of customer services who advises me that that particular branch (who we never chose to do business with) doesn’t mail out bank cards as a policy (even though they had mailed out my partners?) and I would have to collect it in person. I questioned the policy, it was particular to that branch who wanted to save admin costs. I asked if I could send a SSAE, or a courier. No, they wouldn’t agree to that. Finally they agreed to transfer it to my nearest branch, but I still had to pick it up in person (requiring me to take time off work to get there in work hours).

There’s a reason why people hate banks. Everyone has had a bad experience or two, and when you’re dealing with large sums of money then it is incredibly stressful.

@robbie-b

Luci, this is a great advertisement for using mortgage brokers. Now imagine dealing with 30 or more lenders to source the best deals for clients and tell me how your blood pressure would feel.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Luci,

That sounds very typical, and therefore stressful to you as a customer. Your underlying assumption that you are the customer and therefore should be treated with respect and prompt service is fundamentally flawed.

The Banks are primarily looking after their own business as best they can – ultimately for their shareholders. If you are not a shareholder of the Bank – tough, if you are, the harshness comes full circle, but the sum of money usually doesn’t compensate.

With banks, I’ve found their is no such thing as a Win / Win. Their objectives are to ;

1. Reduce their risk to ALARP
    2. Increase their revenue to the maximum possible.

When you take a mortgage out with them, these two objectives are diametrically opposed to what you should be aiming for, i.e. they expose you to the maximum risk possible and increase your costs of funds to the maximum possible.

Getting back to Rob’s topic – I haven’t used a broker for over 10 years now, and haven’t been into a branch for the past 6.

My Banker is very prompt and attentive, fantastic on the small details on the loans and is able to swing me better rates than what any broker can do.

More importantly, we’ve started to build a good relationship with him, and he’s not aspiring to go anywhere, he’s happy in his current possy – which was a huge concern for us. Previous to this one, we’d had 7 different people assigned to handle our files over the past 4 years…it drove us nuts.

As everyone knows, the most stressful thing with brokers and banks is getting the various people you talk to up to speed with your particular details. Rather than a 2 minute convo, you end up going thru the painful “What’s your name, address and phone no.”

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

@robbie-b
    Originally posted by Dazzling:

My Banker is very prompt and attentive, fantastic on the small details on the loans and is able to swing me better rates than what any broker can do.

Why don’t you test us and tell us the lender and interest rate. Anyone can offer a great rate when your lending is substantial and low risk.

As everyone knows, the most stressful thing with brokers and banks is getting the various people you talk to up to speed with your particular details. Rather than a 2 minute convo, you end up going thru the painful “What’s your name, address and phone no.”

You only need to do this once unless you keep changing.

Each to their own.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Robert

I have already asked Dazzling that in a former post.

The lender that time was CBA who did a commercial deal at 1 below base or 5.7% fixed for 5 years.

I asked perhaps for the benefit of all other readers that we scan the letter of offer with the privacy details removed and we could all see for ourselves.

Unfortunately we are still waiting. Sounds familar. You would think if the lender was doing such great deals they would want to advertise the fact.

Cheers Richard
    richard at castlewhite.com.au
    Email me for details of our Qld wrap CD which gives you a full Installment Contract.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@robbie-b

I have had a lot of clients telling me their relationship with ther bank is really good and they get unbeatable discounts. I guess they are not aware of the matching policy many aggregator groups have with the banks.

Also, when I look at their loan documents, I usually find a standard package discount or worse. I explain to them that if you do not look around, you will never know if you are getting a good deal or not.

Staying with one lender is a recipe for paying more as the competitive nature of the industry usually sees another lender beating the first lender at some point in time. I equate sourcing loan products to sourcing suppliers for a business. You should always be on the lookout for the best supplier.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Hiya Richard and Rob,

Richard – you were correct on the Bank but woefully inaccurate on the other details. As posted previously…the one to which you refer…I have absolutely no intention in posting real banking documents onto a public website. Never have – never will.

If that sounds familiar to you and/or is a source of frustration – tough – I have no need or desire to prove anything to you or any other poster. If you don’t believe me…that’s great !!

I’m not trying to sell / promote / prove or distribute anything to you or anyone else. I have no wish to direct a whole bunch of investors towards my Banker – hell – I’d get reduced service if that was the case.

I don’t know why Rob believes people don’t shop around for the best deal just because they stay with the one institution ?? Despite it being none of anyone’s business, we shopped around extensively with both the direct approach and many brokers…I know it blows your bubble but none were able to compete…simple as that !!

Has it ever occurred that the Bank you are currently with, may provide the best “product” – love that word…it’s called money fellas…Banks don’t make products…

Have fun…a dying breed indeed.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

@robbie-b

Dazz, it is actually a product you are taking. The money comes from any institution and will be the same. What makes it the best source of that money is the product they offer you… ie: interest rate, features, service, etc.

I don’t think I ever suggested that ‘people’ don’t shop referring to any kind of majority but rather stated that I have had ‘many’ clients who clearly do not shop around because they believe they are getting the best deal.

If you have shopped arounds and are content with your ‘product’, I am very happy for you. I was just asking for the lender and interest rate to see if some of us could better or match the ‘product’. No big deal if you decline to provide that information.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.