All Topics / Creative Investing / $400k windfall, what would you do?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of petebellpetebell
    @petebell

Hi all,

Everyone thinks about a massive windfall of taxfree cash, but just suppose it happened to you. Say you got $400k just land in your lap[:D], what would you do with it? My thoughts are:
    1)pay off all personal debt, (have a ppor at 235/400)
    2)update car, maybe a hoiday
    3)what next for the spare 150k?

Possibly:
    a)reborrow funds secured by ppor (upto 320k) and use as deposits on IPs
    b)buy an IP for 150k and be debt free
    c)get stuck into shares
    d)something else?

This is a real situation that I have been asked my opinion on, and it got me thinking as to what I might do in this situation, and I just wanted to get a few other opinions from other like minded people.

Thanks

Pete

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I would pay off the PPOR and invest the remainder at 2% per month in mortgage-backed private funding. I would also borrow the maximum against the PPOR and invest this money in the same type of investment. From the cashflow, I would buy into various shares using ‘dollar-cost averaging’ techniques and buy positively geared investments to further increase cashflow. Of course, all this would be done under a coporate trustee / trust structure.

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of petebellpetebell
    @petebell

what do you mean by mortgage backed private funding? 2% per month sound pretty good, where can these be found?

@robbie-b

Hard to find. I am stating what ‘I’ would do. I have no intention of advising others I do not know in this area but I am more than happy to help with loan structuring, rates and product advice. Sorry about that. If you do the wrong thing, I get in trouble.

Look them up on Google. There should be a few there.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Last things I would do:
    1. Update car, take a holiday. (that’ll come later with investment income)

But yeah, any personal debt, then I’d buy a PPOR with cash = put all my current rent money into investments = pay down investment mortages, I don’t need a 100% offset because my partener works for a bank and so all fee’s for draw down, revaluation, refinance and so on are waived [biggrin]

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

I’d use it as a deposit on a +CF office complex in the CBD.

@robbie-b

Which CBD? Hopefully not Sydney… there are plenty vacant!

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Thanks Rob,

Doesn’t matter…any that you felt confident with, after having carried out the usual thorough Due Diligence on the specific property in question.

I’ve found it’s not relevant using sweeping categories like each city – you need to get down in the weeds and get way more specific than that…

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of petebellpetebell
    @petebell

OK so far we’ve got:
    1.debt free residential property
    2.income via private lending
    3.commercial property
    4.buy ppor

Anyone done any of the following and would like to share their experience with:
    1.Listed property trusts
    2.Joint venture projects
    3.Buy a block of units, strata and then wrap to the tenants
    4.Developing vacant industrial land in to sheds or a ministorage
    5.Property syndicates
    6.Something else entirely

By the way, how much debt do you feel comfortable with? i.e. an amount that you can still sleep at night, and that if the mud hits that fan you are still in a position to cope.

(P.S. car is a 1990 corolla, and is becoming a liability, dont need a ‘new’ car just a ‘newer’ method of a>b. most recent holiday was honeymoon, 7 years ago, HAPPY WIFE = HAPPY LIFE, must look after this aspect of life, still take the point that these are the things that investing provides, it is one thing to spend the cashflow, just dont spend the capital.)

Profile photo of Greg FGreg F
    @greg-f
    Originally posted by petebell:
    P.S. car is a 1990 corolla, and is becoming a liability, dont need a ‘new’ car just a ‘newer’ method of a>b. most recent holiday was honeymoon, 7 years ago, HAPPY WIFE = HAPPY LIFE, must look after this aspect of life, still take the point that these are the things that investing provides, it is one thing to spend the cashflow, just dont spend the capital.)

Hi Pete

As a general rule, I follow the maxim: “I don’t buy cars, I buy property!!”

But when I am forced to update, I’m a fan of buying quality cars which get a hiding in the depreciation stakes because of Australia’s fascination with Fords and Holdens (that’s why I buy top of the range Mitsubishis).

I also love my luxuries, so my 2 latest cars are a 1988 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign, and a 2001 Mitsubishi Verada Xi top of the range Verada (all leather seats, leather draped down the sides of all 4 doors, electric front seat adjustor, electric sunroof, cruise control etc etc).

Some poor guy paid $53,000 in October 2001 out of the showroom, and I picked it up in Feb this year for $16,500 with 145,000kms on the clock. It’s an awesome car, top image, and cheap as chips.

Good luck with your car hunting. By the way, stay away from the Verada Ei; the Xi is a much better fitout, and you won’t pay much more for the extra bit of luxury. Go http://www.carsales.com.au and type in a search under “Dealer” cars
    Cheers
    Greg

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

agree with the logic Greg, but 145000kms is some serious mileage! I would be concerned about how many more km’s I would get for my $16,500.

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

John Carroll

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Pete

In relation to mortgage backed private funding, you asked “where can these be found?”

One place this type of funding can be found is with people running a residential real estate, seller finance business. The two types of investors these businesses are normally looking for are “Money Partners” and Joint Venture Partners”.

“Money Partners” usually finance 20% of a house purchase while the seller financier raises the other 80% via a traditional mortgage lender. The “Money Partner’s” security is usually structured as a Second Mortgage protected by a Caveat. The length of the loan is fully negotiable with the “Money Partner” receiving monthly interest payments and the principal back on completion of the term (or earlier with an agreed upon notice period). As an example, we give our “Money Partners” 15%.

“Joint Venture Partners” buy the property in their name. The seller financiers find and install the new buyers and manage the property until the new buyers complete the purchase (usually by refinancing with a bank). Positive monthly cashflow and “back end” profit is split on an agreed basis. We normally arrange our joint ventures on a 50/50 slit.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

I would probably choose the safe option of putting 50K into a good account returning a reasonable return and use the other 100K as deposits for 2-3 CF+ properties. Upgrade the car without going overboard, definitely give the little lady a nice holiday or a romantic weekend away and finally drop 5% into a nice tax deductible charity. At a later date recheck your situation and then decide what to do with the last 50K. Don’t use all your nest egg / windfall at once.

C2

Profile photo of icarus1icarus1
    @icarus1

I would recommend a 911 porsche because at 200K an hour down a quiet road if you make a mistake you dont need to worry about what to do anymore some other person will need to work out how to spend your hard earned.

[chill]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.